Roon 1.4 Feedback

Thanks for the heads up…I currently use a Mini DSP DDRC-88A…but I wanted to eliminate that piece of hardware since it does another DDC/DAC after my DAC which drives me crazy. I was going to get the Dirac software to eliminate my DDRC 88A out of the chain…but I will look into that HAF site to see what I can learn…

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

I think the SQ has really improved, it sounds less monophonic, channel separation much better. Loving the Radio. Room Correction is a tough to accomplish. Dirac live is going to upgrade their software. I would like to see 2.1 with separate sub channel.

2 Likes

When Roon is in full screen playback mode on iPad then when the iPad resumes and Roon refreshes the full screen mode is forgotten.

Yes, the devs are quite active on the Forum, obviously in Support and they read all Feature Requests, but they crop up all over the shop. They’re reading this thread because they want to know what we think about 1.4 and straighten out any issues.

Where you’ve got a specific suggestion for Roon going forward though, a Feature Request thread is the best exposure as it avoids getting lost in the crowd and the devs don’t have to remember where they read something when reviewing user suggestions,

In relation to user control of parameters for Radio there are a couple of things to keep in mind. Firstly Roon likes to keep it simple. The addition of user controlled play preferences in 1.4 is, in my opinion, a welcome and appropriate relaxation of that principle for a specific case, but the devs will have had vigorous internal discussions about the need for further switches etc. If user control of Radio is viable then I suspect it is more likely to be a single knob, possibly blending several parameters, rather than a synthesiser like bank of knobs.

Secondly, although the various parameters described by @James_I sound interesting to me, the capacity for a meaningful range isn’t always there. Some of those parameters become “all or nothing” far more quickly than you would want. A bit like flying a realistic helicopter simulation or trimming a bias pot.

2 Likes

For the most part I’m a happy, satisfied and committed client. But since you ask . . .

In my linked zone (two Sonos speakers in one large room), I seem to have lost the ‘master volume’ that allowed me to raise and lower the whole room with one finger. And that seems like a curious step backward in terms of ease of use. Am I missing an option somewhere?

1 Like

Hello Ian

Seems to me that there is no master slider, but there are +/- buttons that will allow the group volume to be changed. (Right at the bottom of the group)

Quite right! Thanks.

I must say that works almost as well as it used to. But it works!

And maybe an enable/disable DSP toggle too…

2 Likes

Has extra blank space been added to the main header menu on the iPad? It was always a bit over-generous for my liking, but I don’t remember it being that big and spaced out up there…

Can’t say I’m in love with some of the new GUI updates - I’m hoping the release of the big ‘radical’ update in the future will see a full overhaul and harmonisation of the GUI design.

Really glad to see the updated volume controls but for me it’s still way too small on the iPhone - I think it’s even smaller than it was previously so both the slider and the buttons are tiny. I don’t think the same design works well for both devices but the limits are very welcome and hopefully keep heart-rates stable… and equipment safe.

Really hoping that when you extend the new radio algorithms work, you also feed that into the ‘focus on similar’ button too - still could be one of the greatest features of Roon if it did what I want it to do… ie actually find genuinely similar things (within my library and outside it) rather than simply show half of my library…

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone btw.

3 Likes

I like that I deal. I would prefer not to have to drill down six clicks to turn it off for MQA.

I have one Roon install (at work) where the music is all on networked file shares, and my workflow there is that I just know I have to force a rescan of the appropriate part of the tree after adding music.

I have a Roon install at home with all the music on the internal drives of the machine RoonServer is running on, and there Roon basically always automagically notices whenever I add music.

Am I missing something in the zone grouping controls?

It used to be the you could drop any zone or zones from a group, and the remaining zones in the group would go on playing.

In the new v1.4 UI, I don’t see a way to remove the zone the group is named after from the group.

For instance:

• I grouped Bedroom, Bath, Living Room
  • Since I started with Bedroom, that group was referred to by Roon as Bedroom + 2, and Bedroom was the zone displayed in fancy bold in the zone grouping UI.
  • Having showered and gotten dressed, I wanted to drop Bedroom and Bath from the “Bedroom + 2” group, leaving only the Living Room zone playing.
  • I couldn’t find a way to do that in the new UI - Bath and Living Room had selection boxes I could uncheck to remove them, and other zones had boxes I could check to add them, but I didn’t see a box to uncheck to remove Bedroom from the group! This totally used to be possible.

Am I missing some trick in the UI which lets me do this? I ended up having to do a really clunky workaround involving stopping play, breaking up the group, the re-starting play at the desired zone. I guess I could also have removed the Living Room zone then done a play transfer from the active group consisting only of zones I no longer wanted playing to the just-removed zone I wanted to continue to play… but all this is massively less natural and straightforward than the previous way.

I must be missing something.

+1
A keyboard shortcut would be great to to either open DSP or toggle it (or both). In JRiver I used a lot cmd+D.

1 Like

Excellent release. I like all the new features in v1.4. Thanks Roon and happy holidays! :clap:

2 Likes

Still enjoying 1.4 and the IOS playback is very welcome thank you.
One small issue I did notice, one of my Sonos Connect devices disappeared (not visible in Zone picker) after the update. Restarting the Sonos unit or Roon Server did not fix the issue but a reboot of ROCK did.

Not all remotes have physical keyboards. The solution needs to be consistent, some type of toggle down in the playback bar or zones screen would be.

Hi guys,

Here’s my 2 cents. I’ve waited a few days because I’ve been busy but also because I wanted to do some serious listening and not judge from just a few short listening occasions.

As has been said many times before already in this thread, I think the Roon team did a great job and overall I am very happy with this update. Thanks guys! I notice several improvements:

Performance is snappier, also with large (classical) box sets. This used to be a big problem and frustration, but now they load and play much faster. An important improvement to me, hope that the next update will be the UI update, taking into account better (large) box set display/access too!

Both Queue and Radio have been improved enormously. I didn’t expect the team would be able to put so much new functionality in the Queue in such a user friendly way. Hats off!

SQ: I’m a bit puzzled by this. Initially, I didn’t hear any difference, but after day two, I think I hear more detail, definiton, separation of instruments, and as has been said channel separation. I wonder if this is placebo / expectation bias after all the preceding positive SQ reviews? After all, Roon already was bit perfect. Nevertheless, I think I hear improvements in my living room, study room and on my iPad. I would love a more detailed explanation from the Roon team, illustrating where exactly “some optimizations” technically result in.

And of course a lot of additional enhancements that have been mentioned here so often. :+1:t2:

The only thing I am seriously underwhelmed with, is the long awaited iOS support. I was very happy reading it was there and immediately deleted iPeng from my iPad, which I always found to be a bit buggy and not 100% stable. But Roon itself is dramatically less stable in my experience. I use my iPad 2017 as an endpoint, with my brand new B&W PX headphones (over bluetooth). With iPeng, this worked whereever I was in or around the house. I could leave my iPad in the living room, go upstairs to my study room or even outside to the back of the garden, and it played without any issues. But with Roon, even when I am cooking in the kitchen and have the iPad right in front of me, I get a lot of hickups and errors. When I move 50 centimetres to get some herbs or switch to another app for a recipe, it just skips and stops. It’s so unbearable that I consider going back to iPeng. Of course I’ve tried several times, over several days. I really, really hope this improves. One iOS improvement is, that the swiping up and down of the dock is now stable and without any glitches :wink:

Finally a small suggestion to add the transferring of zones to the Zones menu. That’s where I’d expect it. Eventually, I found it when pressing the volume button. Perhaps it has always been there, but now IMO it just doesn’t make sense anymore.

Well, that’s it for now, all in all a great update, though I would really love to have iOS support stable. But for now, I wish the Roon team and everyone else a well-deserved holiday. Merry Christmas everybody! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanxxx.
This update is fab.

3 Likes

Hi Koen,

Are you running version 11.2.1 of iOS ?

1 Like

Hi Andrew, appreciate your help! Yes, I’m using iOS 11.2.1:

Reinstalled iPeng, and still, this is so much more stable than Roon as an endpoint…