Roon 1.4 Feedback

Are you enabling your backup drive as a watched folder in Roon ? If so, why ? That will result in Roon importing duplicates of all your music and could cause problems.

Just leave one drive enabled in Roon and backup your music files (using Export is fine) to the other drive, which is not enabled.

The changes to the Zone Picker have made it so much better, and the turn around time…very impressive.

Thank you @mike and the Roon team.

4 Likes

Whilst I really like the new zone picker I’m finding the line art for the iPad and iPhone to be quite distracting.
It doesn’t seem to be in line (no pun intended) with all the other line art.

It’s a very minor GUI gripe but I find it jumps out at you and my eyes are drawn to the iPad and iPhone.

A post was merged into an existing topic: 1.4 IOS problems - no output

I may have missed this yesterday (apologies if I did) or maybe it was fixed in today’s iOS update.

But there’s plenty of space to tap to exit the zone switcher. Anywhere in the white empty space, the “Zones” text or the left space.

Happy days for 4-inch screen iOS users :slight_smile:

Thanks Jan, probably overkill but a reinstall of the windows executable got things back on track.

.sjb

Great job guys! Love the changes!

My wish list: First MQA unfold on Roon, and most importantly room correction

Cheers!

Just noticed that every remote has its own unique customised Play controls ( including the critical “One Click Play Action”). Using a phone, I got an unexpected result and my Queue disappeared. No problems, I dragged the collapsed skipped group down below the current track in the Queue View.
All my remotes have the same play actions now.
The new play controls and Queue are really well designed and a pleasure to use.

1 Like

Macs and IOS devices as endpoints is wonderful and works seamlessly.
I appreciate the refinements to the queue and device grouping interface.
Just exploring the rest.

My iPad doesn’t show the time and battery did you have to set anything?
Ged

Did you update the remote as well as the core? I had to begrudgingly update to ios11 to get the new remote, but it was worth it–I didn’t realize how much I’d like being able to see the time and battery!

1 Like

Just after I sent my question, i twigged that! My ipad is too old for IOS11 I think so I am stuck on 1.3.

If you used Roon already on your iPad, it should be updatable to iOS 11.
iOS 11 dropped support for devices with 32-bit cpu. As Roon required a 64-bit cpu already before, you should be able to install the update to iOS 11 and update to Roon 1.4 on iOS afterwards.

Not true, never worked most of the time. There are many complaints about this on the forum.

Short of commenting about it being the fault of the NAS, Roon doesn’t seem to have any solutions other than a rescan.

Unless you’ve got 100’s of watched folders it only takes a few seconds to rescan. Not saying it’s ideal, but not a major operation to do.

I found the problem. I had signed up for the general beta for 10 and had to delete that profile before it would update. So entirely my own fault.
Thanks for rallying around to help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I understand.

My complaint is that Roon should make it clearer that there is trouble with NAS boxes and any Linux (including macOS) OS. These ‘bug’ reports about a NAS not updating Roon are becoming more and more frequent. Evidently, no one believes in searching the forum before they post a complaint. So much easier to just toss off an question rather than do any leg work oneself.

Dirac has the best solutions for Room Correction…that can be done with Mini DSP hardware or Dirac software alone depending on your set up.

Good points here- I’ve been asking for this type of user control for quite some time.
I know Roon folks say this enhancement is just a start- if so, it’s a good one- but much more to do to reach the potential Radio has.
I trust developers are reading these comments.

Sorry to disagree, Dirac is well known with their strong partner programs but not innovative anymore, expensive, and not Roon-friendly. Not innovative as their automated-filter generation hasn’t changed for years and is only does amplitude+phase correction, expensive as a license costs almost 400€, not Roon-friendly as convolution as to be done in a proprietary driver on a Mac or Windows PC, which has become buggy over time (good luck to you if you want to make it work at the first try on a recent Windows 10 PC, I gave up). Also you simply can’t IP-stream !

I worked for a while with a miniDSP, the issue being the limitations in taps (forget about sharp frequency rejection in the low end for the spectrum) and just OK DAC or I2S streaming quality, discounting their products in a high end system.

The future in my view with Room Correction Filter Generators such as REW/REPHASE (Free), Acourate or HAF, that can seamlessly be implemented in Roon Convolution Engine, which has become very efficient in the last months. As we speak, HAF is the most advanced with advanced corrections not done by Dirac. I know I am off topic here but we speak of all this in the following threads. @danny mentioned they are thinking of integrated a correction filter generation capability to Roon on day (a microphone will be needed).

8 Likes