Roon 1.4 Feedback

I find macOS so bad at this I’d prefer if I could just turn off automatic completely and just manually scan. I always get partial albums imported and just have to manual scan anyway.

Very impressive. I particularly enjoy the iOS zone. So useful. Keep it going chaps. I listen to a lot of broadcast radio and podcasts. Looking forward to the next Roon release with a more integrated approach to DAB. Congratulations and well done Roonies.

See answer of @James_I Indeed it was as I already described above in the first post (difficult to keep a line in such a long and general topic) an MP3 from a compilation album vs. the same track existing as hires in the original album. I also already replied that I do not see any sense in deleting tracks out of albums. Since Radio plays tracks and not albums I guess Radio curates out of the available tracks list and not albums lists. So repetition can be a concern. And compilations complicate the task of not repeting tracks in Radio. So, there is more to it. And the message delete all your compilation albums is definitely not the right message. Also, you can see clearly that Roon tracks quite well and labels songs as multiple versions available and this over different interpretations, album qualities etc. Actually a very nice information I often use to listen to different interpretations from different artists.

1 Like

Maybe this thread should just be about what 1.4 is rather than what it is not. For all the features that it doesn’t yet have why not put them in the feature requests. It will be easier to track them.

8 Likes

Interesting. I had a similar thought upstream. But can anyone confirm that radio/shuffle will in general use the primary version and that MP3’s etc. are creeping in from compilations/unrecognized? I cannot really check myself at the moment because I am away on business.

There are a lot of perfectly valid reasons for maintaining duplicate versions, that is the reason why the primary logic was introduced in the first place. Portability is another one. I can see that other travelers are using Tidal and/or other high rez portability solutions when away from home. But a “duplicate” MP3 library works just fine for me often through hotel TV speakers. That’s what I am listening to now.

I can see there was a partial answer to this has crossed as I was writing. But I agree that deleting MP3’s will in general not be a solution.

Hi @Sloop_John_B,

If you are still running the Extension Manager on Windows, then the extensions should (normally) survive a Roon update. If they did not then it is best to check the status of the service.

• Open the Task Manager and Services (e.g. via the Windows search function)
  • In the Services window, scroll down to the Roon Extension Manager and stop it
  • In the Task Manager, check if there are still remaining Node.js processes, if you only use node for extensions you might kill them
  • In the Service window, start the Roon Extension Manager service again

Disabling SMB signing is worth a try, nearly tripled my transfer speeds from Windows 10 share to MacOS 10.13.2. No negatives unless you’re in a highly secure environment.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: 1.4 IOS problems - no output

Fix is coming in the next release. (cc @duncan)

Fixed for next release, coming soon :wink:

Is everything running Build 291? Can you double check in Settings > About?

1 Like

@mike
Yep all is at 291

Double check the version, can you post a screen shot?

Danny,

I use my iPad Air for Roon but also public Beta Apple user. I have the latest software update and the new 1.4 Roon works great…I really love the latest update quite a bit…Thanks Roon!

Also now that iPad also shows the top of the Apple info bar with Time, Battery status and the like…Plus their iPhone X edition makes use of the whole screen…way to go…!! Love the bigger playback buttons when selecting a new choice!

1 Like

Some very nice new functionality, but one I’ve been waiting for is not included:
In album view, pick an album (say the first of a box set that I just ripped via itunes) and then wanting to “play from here” from that album through the end of whatever is in the current view. Don’t see a way to do that…

Frankly i used it to get to the settings so often

@Graeme_Allan
I made some bookmarks where I included an inverse played-last-three-months focus.

Hi !

I’m using the new 1.4 version for a few days now. Nice update that is a bit more convenient to use for a rookie like me ;-).

One of my main requirement has been (partially) fixed with Last.fm scrobbling behavior.
I noticed one problem up to now (more details on Last.fm scrobbling on Roon is driving me crazy)

Another thing that I was a bit disapointed not to find is a random album play feature (and/or equivalent in radio).
Maybe I’ve missed something since I’m using it for less than a month now.
It seems that a lot of people are waiting for this. Maybe you have it on your list for 2018…

Anyway, I’m enjoying using Roon !

yah, the question was not why you click the link, it was meant to be ‘why are you going to settings so much’?

2 Likes

Hi Brian,

Just for references, somebody posted this with the same problem. Maybe it helps!

Having problems with the ”Play This now” function in the que view. When I try to use this on the IOS app (IOS 11 on iPad Pro) the app dies.

Because I have 2 external hard drives connected to the core. I disable/enable one of them from time to time. My original files that I have ripped or purchased is in one of them in their original form and I use that drive as a backup.
So when I buy a new album I download it to my backup drive, roon recognizes it, then I export (via roon) it to my other hard drive which is always enabled
Finally I disable the backup drive so that roon does not see my albums as duplicates.