Roon 1.4 Feedback

Congratulation to Team Roon on this release. I love the new Radio functionality, the zone picker and volume control redesigns. Cannot comment on the new Queue redesign yet as I haven’t had time to play with it.
In terms of expectations, I was hoping the Radio mode would get fixed and that is exactly what has been delivered and more.
So Cheers. :slight_smile:

Is there a list of the features somewhere?
I checked other pages on the roon web site but it still talks about 1.3.

I’ve actually found that some of my albums that had previously been incorrectly included as a multi-part composition in 1.3 are now showing correctly in 1.4. So not only is there now an option to ‘Un-Part’, but the one’s incorrectly multi-parted, have been unparted.

Now this is a BIG bonus for me, as every album that I’ve checked (so far) is now displayed correctly without me having to do anything :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I believe there’s a change log in the app if you go to the update area.

Is this what you’re looking for 1.4 feature updates

1 Like

Thanks for the pointer.

I assume still with 1.4 no way to play remotely (say to my phone when I’m at work vs. on the same network as my roon server at home)?

That’s on my wish list and I’ve been a good boy this year (except for spending too much $ on music and audio components :-).

3 Likes

The new volume controls are good - I’m now using Roon to control volume rather than the amp - so far so good.

One minor improvement would be for the slider and buttons to be bigger. I’m finding them slightly fiddly, and I don’t have large fingers. I’m using a small tablet (iPad mini size) - having the pop up volume window twice the size (or larger) wouldn’t spoil the rest of the interface as it pops down after use.

Overall a big thumbs up though (as usual), many thanks to all involved

Phil.

3 Likes

Yes, I did, thanks.
“Manually”… Grumble grumble.

The iOS playback is very exciting to me.
With speaker listening, I’m ok with having to go to the speakers.
But I didn’t like having to go to the headphone DAC/amp.
Now I can go anywhere with my headphones, as God intended.
Even outdoors, when the Seattle weather cooperates.

I can dance around.

Wonderful.
Suddenly makes the iPhone more attractive than the iPad, fits in my pocket.

2 Likes

Firstly, thanks to the Roon guys for a great update.

Most of it wasn’t what I expected but that makes a nice surprise.

I’m also using Audeze with IOS and I can’t get anything but 48k with my isine with cipher cable, even 44.1 upsamples to 48!

I’ve looked in every setting I can find but nothing yet.

Thank you for the update. SQ is the crucial aspect for me and there is a great improvement in every way.

2 Likes

Cant notice any improvement in SQ at all my self. It was fine to begin with any how.

I also initially thought something sounded different with streaming to BDP-1. Perhaps a slight refinement in clarity and presentation. I was using Roon for an hour before noticing the available update. I wasn’t expecting anything different. Just felt a bit different after hitting play post update.

Good stuff Roon!

2 Likes

Extremely happy with the new update especially the improvement in sq. Noticed it last night before anyone else posted it. Roon team did a great job ! Happy Holidays

2 Likes

I’m just happy that others have noticed the SQ improvements with their systems/ears as well. I think it has something to do with RAAT and timing improvements. Whatever it is I’m happy. I can’t wait to re-listen to all my favorite tracks again to hear the improvements.

3 Likes

Hi,

The ability to play on the iPhone/iPad is huge.
Thank you!

Regards,
Michael

Fully agree that the zone pop up should not block the bottom status bar. This is not consistent as the left menu pane does not block it.

Shouldn’t the left pane also be white now in the light theme? … not consistent with the zone pop up now :thinking:

5 Likes

Thanks for the update.
Very impressive!
Thanks for letting MQA pass by!

2 Likes

Mark, I think you described the improvements correctly. Timing and spacial definition is much better in my system. I am streaming Tidal. My system is 25 -year old Mark Levinson amplification, MacBookPro for the core and Auralic Aries Mini. Upsampling to DSD 256 sounds great for me. I am listening at the moment to my favourites and have fun. Cheers.

3 Likes

Hmm. All this talk of “sound improvements” is a nice development. I use HQPlayer and am quite happy with the settings there. I assume any sound improvements within Roon would be bypassed using HQPlayer. Either way, this new software push is very nice! Thanks Roonies!