Roon 1.5 sound problems with devialet

Hello @Lueneburg-based,

Both computers should have the processing power needed for Roon, however the SSD in the MacBook Air should eliminate any potential performance issues with the regular hard drive. Thank you for your patience and effort while we try and get this working for you!

-John

Thanks again for the online support. After about a week of using Roon on the Lenovo IdeaPad Z570, it seems that the problem/bug is not appearing anymore. So it was probably my PC hardware (more precisely the processor itself) that was getting too slow for Roon since version 1.5. In case the problem re-appears using the Lenovo, I will report here again.

It can be an important info for other users, i.e. maybe especially those with a Devialet, Roon users really need to take care not to use a PC based on a quad core Celeron J3455 - even though it’s a recent generation (and nicely silent because allowing fanless design), a much older i7 like in my older Lenovo laptop is much more powerful and better fit for Roon.

(By the way, Roon should in the longer term have a policy allowing to continue using version 1.5 when newer versions come up if the specs requirements of Roon continually increase, else the next updates may force more and more users to upgrade hardware too often, which would be costly and an ecological evil.)

This has been discussed here by Brian.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/suggested-hardware/90/20?u=brian

What has been discussed? I read that post you just linked but I fail to see the connection with the issues discussed in this thread… So you need to be explicit about what you mean.

What was discussed was the minimum hardware requirements for Roon. As you discovered what matters is not how new a processor is but that it meets the minimum requirements of Roon to guarantee the experience Roon is capable of providing. Nothing less than an i3 or equivalent. A Celeron is two steps on the Intel hierarchy below an i3.
Regarding future proofing, if you meet Roons’ minimum requirements now then you are unlikely to need to upgrade any time soon. Roon are a small team and if they had to begin supporting multiple versions of Roon for people unable to upgrade because they were hardware bound, it would become difficult to do. So the best bet is to meet their requirements and the vast majority of your concerns are taken care of.