Roon 1.5 sound problems with devialet

Hello. I updated to Roon 1.5 and since then, my sound bugs: After a couple of hours,the music starts having many clicks and cracks all the time (first just a few, then quickly multiplying and making the music sound horrible), and I need to pause and start again so the music plays normally again… but only for a while (a few hours later, sometimes just half an hour later, the clicks/cracks are back).

I had heard of similar problems from other Devialet owners in earlier versions of Roon, or on Devialet Air (without Roon). BUT I myself never experienced that issue with Devialet Air. I experienced it only twice with Roon 1.4 since I installed Roon a month ago. But now I experience it every day(!) with Roon 1.5, and this is really annoying.

I have a Devialet 400, with firmware 10.1.0, connected to the router via Ethernet.

Hello @Lueneburg-based,

When you open the signal path screen, which can be found by clicking on the blue light to to right of the “now playing” section of Roon, do you see a line that says “processing speed”? If this number is too low, it may lead to to issues like you are describing.

Does this behavior occur with local as well as Tidal tracks?

-John

Hello John, thank you for your feedback,

• I only use local data (I have no Tidal account), 99% are FLAC files, all are on a USB3 external harddrive connected to the PC;
  • I do not see any line saying “processing speed”, I see: “signal path: lossless”, “source: FLAC 44.1 KHZ 16bit 2ch”, “Devialet AIR: Bit-Perfect Asynchronous Mode”, and “Output: Analog Output”.

Hello @Lueneburg-based,

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

-John

Hello @Lueneburg-based,

Your logs were successfully received, so I took a look at them to see if anything stood out to me. Is your Core machine performing “analysis” on your library while you are trying to playback? You can check this by looking for the moving ‘circle’ on the top right of the Roon window next to “Bookmarks”. If you click on moving circle it will tell you the current background activity of Roon. If it is doing Analysis, it may be causing dropouts because it’s using too much CPU.

-John

Thank you for your efforts! Today I didn’t hear any drop-outs, so I guess there was not much to find in the logs. But I listened to music today for only a couple of hours in the evening, maybe too little for the bug to appear. (I had listened to music for several hours on the days where the bug/drop-outs happened.)

I don’t see any moving circle next to the bookmarks. (I think the analysis was already finished within a dozen hours after updating to Roon 1.5, i.e. probably done within the first day or two, but I don’t know for sure.)

I will revive this thread when/if the problem appears again in the coming days.

Hello @john, It just happened again, two minutes ago. I stopped the sound now. If you still got some logs from my system, you should be able to see it. By the way: no background activity running at that time on Roon…
(It happened after several hours of playing, today just now.)

Hello @Lueneburg-based,

Thank you for the report, you can continue to play music if you wish! I have sent request for new report in that time period.

-John

@john It happened again just now, very heavily this time, the bugging literally ‘eating up’ the music within a minute of appearing (within few dozen seconds of buggy sound, it was completely distorting the music). After pausing and resuming the playback, the sound is normal again…

Hello @Lueneburg-based,

Thank you again for the report. We are investigating a few issues customers are seeing with Devialet streaming, and I have included your reports with that investigation.

Have you noticed change in how often this behavior occurs since you first started to notice it?

-John

Some lucky days it does not occur at all. Other days it happens several times in the day. Today, just now, it did it right from the start, from the very first track I played! (Addendum: and again dropped bits of sounds, only 20-25 minutes later… am becoming ever less patient with this bug…) If this goes on like this, I will maybe decide to quit Roon until end of June.

Bugs very often today (just did again heavily)…

Hello @Lueneburg-based,

What are the specifications of the computer you are running Roon on? Can you try going to Settings > Library and turning “Background Audio Analysis Speed” and “On-Demand Audio Analysis Speed” to “Off”

-John

1 Like

Here are the specifications of the PC (screenshot):

screenshot%20pc%20specs|418x500

I will turn these two settings to “off” and report later, whether the situation changes… (–> 6 hours later: played now 6 hours without the bug… :slight_smile:

@john unfortunately, the bug came back, just a minute ago (and as usual, it quickly grew worse and worse from one track to the next), despite all “background audio analysis” and “on-demand audio analysis” being off whenever playing music… :tired_face:

Hello @Lueneburg-based,

Can you try playing to a different zone for an extended period of time and reporting if you see the same behavior? This will help us determine where in your playback chain the issue is occurring.

-John

@john I only have one zone, and the playback chain is simple: Roon on a PC connected via Ethernet cable, and the Devialet also connected via Ethernet cable (no wifi involved here, apart from the remote control Roon app on a MacBook air). (Again, I never experienced any similar bug earlier with Foobar + Devialet AIR, and with Roon 1.4 the same problem had only appeared a couple of times.)
Remark: Though it did not completely disappear, the bug seems to appear relatively less often when both “background audio analysis” and “on-demand audio analysis” are off.

Today it bugged at the very first track, only after 2 min 30 s; and even continues bugging now even after pressing pause and play again, and again! Only going to the next track helped make it go away, just now… (I had started the PC just shortly before starting roon. There was no little circle moving in Roon while playing, no audio background analysis or anything I can see on Roon, just playing the music… and bugging…)

Hello @Lueneburg-based,

It’s possible that you’re experiencing symptoms related to Core performance – the device you’re running your Core on does not meet our recommended specs, and we are seeing signs of performance issues in your logs. These symptoms are consistent with that, but they’re also consistent with some driver issues we’ve been working with Devialet to address. That investigation is ongoing, so for the moment I don’t have a timeframe for any resolution or conclusion on that issue. For now, you can rule out performance issues by seeing if these symptoms persist with a properly spec’ed Core, such as running Roon temporarily on a laptop.

In the interim, instead of skipping to the next track, you could initiate a “force stop” command that will hopefully allow the device to get back into the proper state. On windows, press the combination of “cmd” + “T” to do a “force stop”, which will then pause the music.

-John

@john thank you for your feedback. It is very unfortunate if this fanless and recently-bought PC has a too weak Processor for Roon 1.5 (because the NUC7i7BNH NUC recommended by Roon is, in the versions I can find for sale on Amazon.de, too noisy; and buying a new unit would be premature if the problem ends up being the driver issue with the Devialet).
I have a question: Would one or both of the following 2 laptops I have available, be ‘good enough’ to test for the bug as you suggested?

• a Macbook Air from 2017 (1,8 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 M)
  • or a Lenovo (with Windows 7 Pro SP1) IdeaPad Z570 M55B2GE - Intel Core i7-2670QM, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M, with a ‘regular’ 750GB hard drive (not SSD)

Note: Further down the line, if I keep using Roon, I aim to use Roon’s DSP functions for digital room correction as discussed at http://blog.roonlabs.com/digital-room-correction/ ; thus if the bug is really caused by the PC’s specs, I would need to really change it if I stick with Roon.