Roon 1.6 changing edited covers - Frustrating

With me the changes did not happen all at once, with the upgrade process. It happened gradually since the upgrade with more changing as time went by, but atleast the covers that I switched back to mine, stayed that way.

Iā€™ve just had a look at the log file: Data/RoonServer/Logs/RoonServer_log.txt, and Iā€™m amazed to see its been pounding away downloading new images like crazy. Thereā€™s lots of stuff going on in the backgroundā€¦

That sounds scaryā€¦
like you collect hardcover Books and suddenly half were replaced by softcoversā€¦

Same but different

1 Like

Official bug or not, it acts like a bug. I donā€™t mind Roon replacing my covers with higher resolution covers when they are exactly the same, but as has been pointed out many times before above: all Roon seems to do is replace existing covers with whatever there is, the only criterium (apparently) being it is a higher resolution.

Thatā€™s not intelligent behaviour. It is when it does what may be expected: replacing the cover with an identical high-res one. Thatā€™s why I mostly choose default cover instead of from file. However when Roon replaces album art with random ā€œhigh-resā€ art, I think I am right in not expecting this.

My mind works visually, and when I browse/search for music, I hardly read but instead scan covers. Now I constantly fear half of my large library is unrecognizable.

8 Likes

I meanā€¦ can anyone call this an improvement?

Roonā€™s new, automatically upgraded ā€œhigh-resā€ album cover:

So now my my poor album scan from file is really needed to replace Roonā€™s ā€œbetterā€ image:

Imagine having to do this with a huge library, manually for each album, because it is considered not a bug. This sucks. Big time. If itā€™s not a bug, itā€™s amateurism.

4 Likes

Sorry, but it just keeps getting worse. Looks like Roon acquired access to high-res pictures from a low quality company, with cheap garbage coverart like the Not Now reissue junk label:

Iā€™ll stop here, but itā€™s really all over the place. Pure horror to look at what no longer feels like my own collection ā€” which always was one of the reasons I donā€™t stream. I want to control my own music and do not want anyone to change it. Iā€™ve spent months editing my collection in Roon, and in a blink Roon completely messes it up.

An update from the Roon team on what they are doing about it and with what priority would be nice ā€” and most reasonable to ask and expect, I think.

2 Likes

Yes many of these upgraded covers, suck big time.

Look like a 7 year old was just quickly creating a cover on his phone on the way to school.
I really do wonder where they come from. Definitely not from Allmusic

Iā€™m not 100% sure but my feeling about how this happens is like this:
I upload an album and the cover looks fine. I donā€™t touch it.
What actually happened is that Roon didnā€™t have a picture and ā€˜Bestā€™ was in that case ā€˜Fileā€™.
(Happened frequently because I have some old CDā€™s in my collection).
Now, somehow Roon is getting and uploading covers and all of a sudden, the Roon cover becomes the ā€˜Bestā€™ version.
I donā€™t think they are only replacing. They are also just adding missing covers.
Again, just a theory but I noticed from one of my samples that Iā€™m pretty sure had no cover in Roon before and now it has an ugly HighRes version :slight_smile:

So in that case, technically not a bug. I chose ā€˜Bestā€™ when I uploaded the album and thatā€™s what Iā€™m gettingā€¦ At least, Roon thinks that :wink:

If you want to stop this from happening in the future, then change the Library Import settings for cover art from ā€œBestā€ to ā€œPrefer Fileā€.

1 Like

Yep, I think I will live with it.
It might happen to a few albums again but itā€™s pretty easy to flip when it happens.
Roon has better covers in most cases compared to what typically is in my files (certainly the ones I ripped myself from old CDā€™s).

What happens after roon updates again? Will it keep the userā€™s choiceā€¦ or will it replace them again as it does with artist pictures?

I wish roon would not mess with user added covers or artist pics.

1 Like

I donā€™t know what will happen. I suspect this was a once-off slip-up that occurred as the ā€œBestā€ setting became active when Roon pushed out updates to the cover and artist images for the first time. As I say, since resetting my images on those albums where I want to keep my own images, they have not been overwritten again, even though I still have ā€œBestā€ as my default setting.

I think itā€™s safest if Roon would disable the feature to change images until this is fixed as it only causes frustation when the images change again after an update. People make an efford changing them and have no guarantee the change will stick at the moment

This doesnā€™t workā€¦never has.

It did for meā€¦

This setting is for new imports but what about everything already in your library?

We will need to wait for a fix/solution from Roon.
Setting the general import setting to File would be beside the point, because many of us are happy with Roon offers on many albums. But not all.

At the moment we can only hope that the covers we fixed stay that way and do not get changed again.

The way this happened it is not a feature.

For how long?
U have to observe over a long period of time
I have been in prefer file mode since I became a Roon user (12/2015) and my covers changeā€¦

Mine have changed just once (I joined in January 2016). I had ā€œBestā€ selected for a while, and when the new metadata system was introduced with 1.6, all covers where a higher resolution was available were changed. Iā€™ve reset the covers I wanted to have fed by my files; left ā€œBestā€ as the default setting, and nothing has been changed since.

I have over 16,000 covers to attend toā€¦how many do u have?