Roon 1.6 Feedback Thread

Right? The album cover is the thing! Not lyrics, credits or badly cropped low res images. Just the album cover please. I LOVE my lifetime Roon membership, but please give us this option.

22 Likes

Right? Anxious? I don’t understand it one bit…

4 Likes

One slight hiccup, I began my Qobuz account by logging in using Facebook. My password is all lower case. Roon refused to accept the password until I went back into Qobuz and changed the password into the approved format (upper and lower case, at least one number, eight characters). Roon then accepted my login. I haven’t had a chance for a good listen yet but it all updated OK.

1 Like

Roon and Tidal could “grow” together. They appeared on the market about the same time.
But the Qobuz integration now is really different, because I bought many, many downloads and have lots of favorites in Qobuz.
That can lead to a real messy experience…when two huge databases are combined.

I use a second display with a Chromecast device to show what is playing, and the laptop I use as the core is typically left on the “Queue” page. Using Tidal, I love the new radio feature, but I don’t see any obvious indication for the song in the queue if it is already in my library or not. The only way to check is to visit the album page or to select the 3 dots options menu to verify. I’d love to be able to immediately see if the song playing is already in my library without having to click somewhere.

On the left side of the queue where the song title and artist are shown, every song has "Added by ", even if it is not currently in my library. Am I missing something?

Using Windows 10.

Important DSP feedback:

1. Numerical input for gain in Parametric EQ was removed - only a slider remains. This means you can not tell what the (± db) setting is without clicking on the slider, which because of the sensitivity of sliders means you inevitably change (i.e. slide) it.

2. In the same view, if you don’t have Roon maximized, Roon gives you a very thin slider on the right so that you can scroll down to see “Frequency”, “Q”, and the like settings of whatever band is selected. If you miss clicking on this very thin slider you end up clicking on the gain. At one point I did this and the gain instantly moved up +12db!! I consider this a serious, possibly equipment damaging issue. The gain slider should not respond at all unless it is directly clicked.

3. Because of #1 and #2, DSP is somewhat dangerous to use with a mouse - and for all practical purposes broken for my touch tablets.

8 Likes

Am I understanding this correctly, if I browse ROON while listening to music and through that browsing I add a ton of music to the queue; there is no way of seeing this list and edit it?

“Triggering” is a bit strong a word here - annoyance at inconsistency is more like it, it’s mostly that there’s an easy way to get rid of something that’s coming up in the queue, and that’s great, but then when you try to get rid of what’s playing, it’s a different thing to do, and also how do I tell the black box that I don’t like it when Mongolian nose-whistle plays after jaw harp and is that different from getting rid of what’s playing right now, type of thing.

From the CA review: “One item of note that may not please privacy enthusiasts is that Roon Radio makes recommendations based on other Roon subscribers with similar tastes. As users listen and interact with Roon it collects this information and uses it for not only to improve your experience but that of others as well.” - from the release notes for 1.6, Roon Radio 2.0 has an “offline” mode, that doesn’t make use of the call-home-distributed-learning-cloud stuff. I personally don’t care if my overconsumption of Macedonian Gaida music is used to determine what deodorant I like (and I totally trust you guys to do the right thing here), but it might be nice if there was a way to toggle that to off.

1 Like

No, you can always view the queue and edit it to your heart’s content.

The discussion is about when using Roon Radio rather than browsing and adding tracks. Anything added is still visible in the play queue.

Roon has always collected information on what music is being played, without identifying the individual user. See the privacy policy (unchanged since 2016).

Thank you for the reply, I see it now. The demo was too fast, blink and it’s missed. V1.6 adds significant sibilance, trying to fix that.

1 Like

Thanks Mike.

Thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

It’s great. Got one criticism so far: I like a way to see now playing and queue at the same time. Also there should be a now playing button.

2 Likes

Thanks. Looking forward to it.

I like the Radio functionality (with Tidal) a lot. Please let me listen to Roon Radio outside my own network though.

2 Likes

Great job with the new update, congrats!

One small thing I just noticed: If I want to start Roon Radio from a playlist, nothing happens…

Yeah, I don’t think one could miss the mark more than Roon have here with the now playing layout. A real shame. It’s especially annoying as many if not most of the artist pics that aren’t missing are nothing special if not down right bad. Not good to this music photographer’s eyes!

I was thinking maybe there was a way one could roll back to 1.5, but then wouldn’t have Qobuz integration if and when they end beta. If this is the level of design we can come to expect, it’s making me rethink the value of the lifetime sub I went for. Get it together Roon: you are supposed to be a way of cataloging and showing my ALBUM collection, with the covers that photographers. painters, illustrates, graphic designers, and the artists themselves lavishly built in order to accompany and reflect the music contained within.

How didn’t beta testers catch this obvious fail?

10 Likes

That’s not really how product design work plays out.

We were redesigning the queue screen to split it into “what’s happening now” and “detailed control/information about what’s coming up”. That was the first goal. This was necessary because we had things we wanted to fit onto the now playing screen (mainly, lyrics, to bring Roon into parity with Displays) that couldn’t fit on a combined screen.

So, we drew the line between “now” and “upcoming” and made one screen for each. Both screens were able to grow into the increased real-estate and become better.

The old fullscreen now playing view was an extremely rarely used feature, and more of an experiment than anything else. We didn’t give very much consideration to how it was done because practically no-one ever used it. It was only included because Sooloos used to have this screen…not for good, thought-out product reasons.

We did consider briefly duplicating “up next” on the new now playing screen, but felt that the use case of seeing what’s next was something better opted-in-to on the queue screen.

I realize that hearing about the anxiety/serendipity axis in product design may be new to you, but it’s not new to us. It’s an important consideration–would it be more pleasing to have full information, or to be pleasantly surprised–is an important consideration when designing product. It’s one of the reasons why we put such a clear line between “now playing” and “queue” in this design, but not the only one.

We are going to re-consider adding an album art screen.

This will get better as image updates roll out to your systems over the next 7-10 days. Part of that data rollout is sending down side-channel data on how to better crop the images for display. There was no way to release both the new software + the data updates at the same time, so we de-emphasized the data portion in the release notes, but you won’t really be having the intended experience until both are done. This is not an area that can ever be 100% perfect, but it will be much better than what you’re seeing now once the rollout is done.

I explained this a bit above. We don’t agree with this–the old queue screen was cramped and trying to serve too many purposes. We drew a line in a clear place that makes sense. This wasn’t done carelessly.

It’s telling you which profile put that item into the queue. In a multi-user home, you can then see who added what. Those plays are recorded to the individual “histories” for the profile, and give each person a different radio/discover/overview experience, separate ownership of playlists, etc.

No you’re not. The queue screen isn’t gone–click the “Queue” button on the footer.

That button shouldn’t be there (cc @vova). Playlists are not good radio seeds.