Roon 1.6 Feedback Thread

This isnt really a v1.6 thing as the problem is in v1.5 too. But I’m unhappy to report Roon Remote on Android on my Samsung Note 8 acting as an Endpoint to wired headphones is useless and choppy and laggy if the software is not running in the foreground. Switch to a bluetooth headphone and there is no choppiness if I switch away from the Roon Remote to another app.

1 Like

Exactly. When it comes to the new radio, I’m still giving the thumbs down to roughly the same amount of suggested tracks but the guesses feel closer and the scope is wider with all that Tidal content. Crazy for this one Jay!

1 Like

You’re doing better than me. More misses than hits for me.

A few friends of mine have been waiting for this Radio feature to hit Roon to replace Spotify (and sign-up for Roon). Their early feedback is the same as mine and they are not in any rush to ditch Spotify yet.

Radio is a big deal for many of us, for both the music discovery aspect and having trust in it when there’s a party (not having to often rush to the remote to hit thumbs down)

Still early days though (only Day 2 to be exact lol).

Hilarious. Didn’t go un-noticed :grin:

A step forward…and a step back? I can only hope that the next release focuses on the fine art of user interface.

Why should Radio take up so much space, and what if users don’t want to use it no matter how much the Roon development team things it is great? There’s no way to hid it. It takes up 14-20% of an iPad screen and does noting but turn on a function or turn it off. It coudl be a toggle at the bottom and take up 2% or screen space, or with a flick of a finger it could slide away to near nothing to be slid back out if someone want to flick it back open. Or in settings I could turn it off. There’s three options for you. None are available. I got this big honking billboard for Radio I never use. Super annoying.

Same with the bottom bar of features that show the track playing, a backward-pause-forward function, that timeline showing where you are in the track and the dynamic range. When I want it could I slide my finger up on a little arrow and open it up, the slide my figure down to close it? That real estate could be used to show me more tracks.

Then, why did we lose the simple feature of showing the album artwork now playing in a playlist with the list of songs coming next? Now I have a choice of seeing the lyrics, a history of the artist, an oversized image that sometimes is there and sometimes is not. Sure the album is on the side, BUT the playlist is gone! I much preferred the way it was before.

I deal with it. Still love Roon for what it does…plays high quality music anywhere in my house. But PLEASE spend time on the user interface next time. Do some user group studies. Test out different things and get feedback. The interface could be so much slicker. Sorry, I know a lot of work went into this. Just a little reality check from one of your fans. Thank you.

7 Likes

I agree with those that said the grey bar at the bottom (dark mode) is ugly and looks out of place. Also, on the Now Playling screen I’d prefer the album cover be the largest picture, not some random picture of one of the artists on the album.

Check out this screenshot of the Now Playing screen from the soundtrack to Book of Mormon

Tsk, tsk… :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

It’s still there in the album screen isn’t it?
Click on the album.

Love the update. I plunked down for a lifetime membership in the hopes of future Qobuz support and not two days later here it is.

Pleasant surprise: listening to a song and watching the lyrics auto scroll in time to the music. Cool!

I’m loving the Radio function, and can’t wait till it “learns” more.

On my iPad, the grey bar at the bottom is lighter, which I like. I can’t see any waveform, is this a programmable setting?

So far, pleased with the experience. I wonder if many of the naysayers are wed to the older versions and just grumpy about UI changes. I’ve only got 30 days experience with the 1.5 UI so the changes are more welcome than not.

Keep up the continued improvements!

2 Likes

That’s the first thing I noticed, or thought I did. Deeper and wider soundstage and a bit more detail. Guess the ears must be having a good day.

I dont care what anyone says. Roon 1.6 sounds better to me. The soundstage is larger, the dynamics are better. Reminds me of the days when i mucked around with HQPlayer and Roon together, without the awful delay in response time.

2 Likes

It is not quite the same. It is now a random photo that Roon is pulling down off the Interweb somewhere and if the they can’t find an image it is blank. Then there are all the icons that never go away. Less is more, simpler is better. Clean and uncluttered would be nice. There’s still a ways to go.

Mine too!!!

Yeah, I’m not totally crazy about this new ‘Now playing’ screen. IMO the album cover needs to be the hero image, everything else is secondary.

5 Likes

Please give us a black footer with a good looking and a good visible waveform back (maybe as a choice in the settings.) Roon in dark mode doesn’t look good anymore with that grey footer. I am preferred Roon over the Bluesound App until 1.5. Now I am not so sure anymore.

In my opinion it makes no sense that the remaining time is less visible then the passed time of a title. Before I play a title I want to know how the dynamics is and not after it played.

Thank You.

7 Likes

@support
Installed Roon 1.6 on ROCK and I’ve two crashes on Roon server when I randomly play a few internet radio stations. The internet radio continued to play while Roon remote on iPad no longer able to access it. I need to go Roon IP setup page to restart the server, not reboot OS.

I thought this issue is already resolved in latest version but it is not. Crashes like this doesn’t look good. Please fix this long standing issue!

I never use upsampling but I did find after the upgrade my music was being upsampled to DSD. Maybe check your DSP settings. Don’t know if anyone else has had the same experience as me?

EDIT Is Roon really that smart, to know that E.S.T. is the right picture to display, but the bio should be Esbjörn Svensson himself? On the othe4 hand, I know that @Brian is a fan of E.S.T., he put me onto them, maybe he coded some logic so3cifically for that case :joy:

Wrt the picture on the Now Playing screen.

1. I had noticed a really cool feature on the Display feature: when I had several Primary Artists, the Display would cycle through the pictures. I loved that. I often edit my albums to include all the artists listed on the cover, because it is interesting to me who the artists chose to recognize. I would love to get that back.
  2. It is hard to understand which picture and bio is chosen. This album lists the Trio and all three members. The picture is from the Trio, and the bio is of the Trio namesake and “leader” although he is not identified as such in the credits.

Now playing picture:

Now playing bio:

The bio of Svensson is overlaid on the picture of the Trio.

The choices are actually good, in this case. But they are hard to understand. And is Roon really that smart? I will keep looking.

Thanks for the new release Roon team!

Update went smooth, works well. Qobuz integrates well, cost me a Sublime+ membership however :slight_smile:

Collecting albums from an artist took ages yesterday evening but is back to normal now on first glance.

One tiny detail: Qobuz is not mentioned on the Settings/About/Copyright section.

Love your dedication on this forum. Thanks!

2 Likes

The “Now Playing” is just so uggly. Who at Roon has decided to implement this? This is definetely a wrong road for Roon.

Please roll back the “Now Playing” to the version before.

4 Likes

Static lyrics have embedded timing so will just sit there. Only the clock symbol ones move.

The “footer” is not an improvement, and the once iconic waveform display has gone. Next step, cut all the jelly fish in half too? The waveform display was an instantly recognisable almost trademark. I dunno, but it seems like Roon has morphed from being a serious audiophile grade player into a karaoke machine. But perhaps thats where the market is… /rant

4 Likes