Roon 1.6 Feedback Thread

that’s fine IF there wasn’t already, in Roon, a dedicated Qobuz favourites section
but since there is… makes more sense (to me) using it as temporary repository before actually adding an album to one’s library :wink:

1 Like

I see what yoi mean, a bit convoluted but could work. I was hoping that in this new fabulous world of machine learning and AI there was a more straightforward way.

@support question about the new roon radio (which I love btw) how is determined which version of the track is played?

see print screen: I have the chosen track in my local library (Flac CD qual), Qobuz has it in CD Qual, but Roon radio picked the AAC file from Tidal.

is there any way to make it pick the best qual from the available options?

Would it not make sense to take best qual from:
First local
then remote (if you have access to the best qual in your subscription tier offcourse)

1 Like

Skip the track and choose “I don’t like this song”. Roon Radio will learn your preferences.

The Heart is a toggle: Favourite, Ban, Off, Favourite, Ban, Off … etc.

1 Like

as pointed out in the thread, this will only work on roon artist pictures. that means 20% of artists in my library. the remaining 80% that i have populated with custom pictures will still have the problem. besides… i have chosen my custom pictures to fit (more or less) in the artist page. so, they won’t fit in the now playing page.
so, i think that what people is asking is … some control on users side: the possibility to say “focus here”. also, some flexibility in pictures size and ratio (now, quite stringent… )

i have to say this: in my experience, roon is far the less customizable software i have ever seen.

2 Likes

Roon has smarts to avoid cutting off heads which are still propagating out. The experience will improve over the next week.

One of the design goals of Roon is to avoid controls and switches. The devs much prefer to have the software do it right without user intervention. It’s not an immutable rule. I think the Play options was a notable area where they listened to the feedback and provided better options than we had thought of.

i agree… i’m missing something. as far as i can see, i turn radio after the queue button.

so, what does it mean start radio on genres, albums, artists? that open a genre/album/artist page, and then activate the radio, it will randomize on that genre/album/artist?

and if i select the albums browser and then activate radio roon will randomize within albums?

I agree with you here. If this trend continues over the next releases I may have to start looking at alternatives even if I have a Life time license for Roon. I want to do it my way and that requires lots of options.

3 Likes

again: can’t do it from Qobuz favourites section:

Click the arrow next to the Play or Shuffle button. The options will include Roon Radio. These options are configurable in Settings/Play Actions.

Qobuz and Tidal favourites are different from Roon favourites. Qobuz and Tidal favourites sync with “In Library”. You can remove a Qobuz album or track as a Qobuz favourite by deleting it from your Roon library, but it may take a few hours to sync.

not at all “easy” searching among thousands of entries in my library :frowning:
plus, as I already reported above, favourite albums do show in my library but they actually are not there unless I click, first, “Add to Library” :roll_eyes:

I am pleased with the updates and getting used to them the more I use them, lots of people complaining about changes or issues that are actually just different ways of operation that require investigation and re-learning, maybe the best advice is to take a deep breath, use 1.6 for a week and then see if you still have the problem?

6 Likes

Hi Roon folks,

I did not read the whole thread so far, but my Roon experience of yesterday evening makes me think that you are receiving quite a bit of warranted criticism for making unwarranted changes to the UI.

Could it be that one conceptual decision of yours that I have been griping with since I first started using Roon is now coming home to roost: No user adaptibility granted.

While in the past problems, at least for me, were restricted to colours and text sizes, with the many many changes in the new version - some of which are so heavily branching out that they overload or underload their respective screen areas, the whole user experience is alienating and dissatisfying. Many things feel like Microsoftitis or iconitis.

The now playing bar looks misproportioned and discoloured. For night use with low or no lights, the grey is charring.

The icons are to small on a 9 inch touch screen, the chopped wave view is a mess.

Why did you change it at all?

Still, volume control is worse than eons ago, when it was big and allowed jumping to the value you wanted. Why have the slider bar AND the buttons behave the same?

Lyrics view is now broken. Most of us do not want to use Roon for Karaoke, I guess. Bring back the popup window, but let it remember the last setting for screen size.

The search: icon/picture use should be restricted for marking the type of search result. The results as such, should be in text form. So one can find and browse quickly. I would not like to develop swiping arm disease or such.

My suggestion:

Regress the user interface to the previous version.
From now on, make user interface changes optional.
No problem, if you would like to offer a new layout for screen parts, as long as I can choose it only when it’s good for me.
Introduce options for reducing icon/picture use.
Make the lyrics view optional popup/new look.

BTW: Roon still will not start with a screen setting of 1024x768. Yet, once started, I have no problem at all using it in that resolution. Please convince yourself and remove this start restriction.

I hope you understand what I mean. I am looking forward to some improvements.

Keep up the good work!
Achim

6 Likes

I think I am an edge case regarding Displays because I would like cover art to be the focus. I may just be unlucky but a lot of the artist images are so low resolution or unflattering so I tend to not use the Display feature.

In my opinion, the PLEX UI does this very well but, in terms of Roon vs PLEX for music, there’s just no contest. Roon is so far beyond anything else, especially after 1.6.

5 Likes

You do know that you can configure the Now Playing screen to turn off lyrics completely, right? Click the 3 dots menu to get to the Configure screen…

what I reported above about (favourite) albums… also applies to (favourite) tracks: here’s a view from my library:

as you can see track does show in my library but “it isn’t actually there” nor it is marked as favourite :roll_eyes:
so… how do I remove it from my library? :no_mouth:

As I say, there’s a distinction between the Roon Library views and operations available within them, and the simple window into the Qobuz catalogue, which is all the Qobuz section within Roon really is. I wondered about it at first myself, until I realised what was going on.

Same here - takes far too long to search. Sorry Roon. - faster now, must have indexed. Ignore. Thanks chaps.