Roon 1.6 Feedback Thread

Sometimes Radio works perfekt, somtimes it’s really bad. Example: Recently I heard “More Heart Stories” from Luke Howard. In the next few hours the radio music was great and fit exactly to the album. But when I heard “Pianette” from Bruno Sanfilippo (Quiet Neo-Classical Piano), Radio was incredible. In the following pieces I had to click away any female voices. I wonder what any sung songs have to do with quiet piano music? It only got better when I activated my own library.

Screenshot

Absolutely right!
Sara is in the queue.

Yes. I’m doing this currently. Note that there is a lot of overlap between the Tidal and Qobuz libraries, but depending on your musical tastes and your feelings about MQA vs. high-res FLAC, one or the other service may meet your needs without having to pay for both.

After 10 days of using 1.6 I’m still having problems getting used to the new U.I.
Maybe it’s because I’m 'n old man, but it’s not as half intuitive as it was before. Sometimes I’m clicking around a lot and feeling lost.
I’m sorry to say, but in this state I wouldn’t recommend Roon to any of my friends.

The cosmetic changes I also dislike. Why Roon Radio showing so prominently when not using it? Show it when it’s getting used, if not hide it. Now playing, etc.

Like Qobuz streaming as an alternative, but there’s something wrong with metadata on a lot of classical albums. On Qobuz metadata is alright, in Roon it’s mostly gone. (see for example Mozart 225 boxsets complete duo’s, or stringquartets) Makes it unusable and that’s a shame. Hope it will be fixed.

There’s also a bug: when removing a song playing from a playlist. After removing the queue stops playing.

1.6 is so much faster than 1.5/4 And it doesn’t slow down over time on an open end point like the old versions did.
Very well done here

1 Like

This is a strong release, particularly the enhancement of Roon Radio. It’s wonderful to be turned on to new music that fits what I’m interested in but I might otherwise never know about. A big plus. I also like the new Now Playing screen and related options. It would be nice in future if more customizing was also extended to the recently added Chromecast Now Playing screen. Perhaps that will come in a future release. On a side note, it was very disappointing to learn that Google are discontinuing the Chromecast. Very unfortunate. Anyway, thank you to all the Roon staff for your great work.

1 Like

I guess I’m just not as sensitive to UI changes as others - most of the time, I don’t notice them at all! And same here - I don’t see that anything has changed enough to worry about :wink:

That said, I agree with some others the “now playing” screen should feature the album cover more prominently - frankly, I don’t really care about artist pictures (particularly for classical selections, which remain the bulk of my collection).

I also note (along with many others) there does not seem to be a way to “favorite” a currently-playing track, either in “regular” playback mode or in the “radio” mode - surely this is an oversight and not a conscious design decision? Makes no sense.

Otherwise, great job, particularly in integrating Qobuz finally! Thrilled with this addition to my listening pleasure :slight_smile: though I’ll note I’m still bugged by having both the Qobuz streaming version and the Qobuz purchased version listed separately in my library - should be “stacked” as versions, IMHO.

3 Likes

Congratulations to the Roon team. This update is awesome!

Hm strange, as especially the new radio feature is unfortunately not really intuitive.
Showcased to a few users and nearly all encountered the same problems.

When a Roon is playing an album in your library, either a local file or streamed, you can favorite the track right on the Now Playing page:

To favorite the whole album, you need to go to the album (touch the cover).
For an album that is not 8n your library, you cannot favorite it because there is no database entry where the favorite marking could be stored (Brian acknowledged this is an old decision that he wishes he can undo).

However, there is also a bug (reported): if you click Add to Library, you still can’t favorite it, even if you click on the album, have to go to the album browser and open the album there.

1 Like

Thanks - I seldom use the “now playing” page, so didn’t even see that.

How are you finding it non-intuitive ? Roon Radio requires no user input except to answer a question or two when skipping tracks.

Exactly what problems were encountered? Describe.

Since being ‘forced’ onto 1.6, I thought I’d play with the new radio (Tidal). It’s not bad, not up to Spotify level (I’ve become a big fan over the past 6-8 months and use it for discovery), but still plays along the same lines. It’s much more in keeping with what the ‘focus on similar’ button should do (but doesn’t do). I won’t get into any UI feedback, other than to say specific to radio - could do without the feedback box popping up after every track skip - is there a way to disable?

Yes it’s buried in Settings/Setup :blush:

I see the same message popping up sometimes in playlists in Roon with Qobuz tracks. Fortunately never causing interrupts in playing tracks, but delayed moves to the next track.

I agree it is not the internet feed. I have a solid 400 Mbit/s, connected to Roon core with wired Gigabit ethernet.
Also running highres from Qobuz web app or iPhone app does not cause any delay or hiccups

1 Like

Roon 1.6 upgrade has resulted in inconsistent album art & progress displays on Chromecast.

1. Roon correctly connects to chromecast and displays
  2. Roon chromecast display does not show album progress or correct album consistently
  3. Roon chromecast correctly responds to the ‘stop display’ and ‘start display’ commands but does not refresh to the correct album information or progress.
1 Like

I’ve waited a while to post feedback so I could have time with 1.6 and let things settle. Before I get to specifics I want to thank the Roon team for the continued focus on adding new features, services, and modernizing the application. It’s good to see innovation continues to be at the core of what you do. So far it seems I made the right call in purchasing a lifetime subscription.

That said, 1.6 is probably the first time I’ve seen a release that makes the application worse than it was before. Here’s why:

1. The UI changes are heading in the right direction but the app now has a mix of UI designs and it is messy (see UI thread for more details).
  2. Whatever changes you’ve made to the software architecture or the backend infrastructure have made the application sluggish. I see this most pronounced when adding albums to the library, doing searches, and even just getting an album to play.
  3. The service quality seems degraded. Examples are the issue where the album covers wouldn’t display and the ongoing off and on erratic behavior for the AI-driven Roon Radio.

To me these issues detract significantly from the new features. Improved search is the most important for me but being slow makes it less appealing to use. I can’t use Qobuz since I’m in the US and they don’t appear to want me to Beta test. I’m more than likely sticking with Tidal so this is not a relevant feature for me (but certainly I can see this being good for Roon in the long term). Roon Radio is not an important feature for me–I rarely listen to music this way. Overall quality of service is much more important to me.

Overall, I’m disappointed with 1.6 but I am confident the Roon team will fix these issues and continue innovating to add value to the service. For now, I’ll continue to enjoy the music.

3 Likes

I see a switch for 30 seconds notification, but not for the pop up request for feedback after track skip? Maybe they’re the same will try later.

Wonder why the earliest you’re allowed to know is 30 seconds before the track finishes? To make it more exiting perhaps?

I think what you are looking for is found here: hit the queue button to open up the screen that lets you see the songs in line for Radio playback. Go to the top of the page on the left side and click on the 3 dots. the menu that opens up will let you “limit Roon Radio to Library”; activating that turns off the the requests for feedback. Not the perfect solution, but it is one.