**Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number
Nucleus OS Version 1.0 (build 186) stable, server software version 1.7 (build 555) stable, lab software Version 1.0 (build 12) stable.
Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
All wired via ethernet, Netcomm modem, D-link Gigabit switch
Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Naim Uniti Nova via ethernet connection to Roon nucleus
Description Of Issue
Everything was working fine until I got a notice that an update was required last night (30/5/20). Did the update (from build 537 to 555), then suddenly streaming from Tidal does not start. I can see the albums and artwork etc. It looks like it starts but nothing. My library plays fine. I have re-booted everything to no avail.
I seem to have fixed the problem. My phone started being problematic with Tidal as well so I stopped the phone Tidal app and deleted the phones Tidal cache. Then I tried again with Tidal via Roon but no luck. So I re-tried your suggestion and it worked!! Initially I forgot to stop and restart RoonServer which stopped things loading into view in the apps, but once I got that sorted it seems to be working. Thanks for the help. Is this a Tidal thing or did the update trigger a problem? Who knows.
Hi Nuwriy, I can’t escape the suspicion this is a Tidal problem as a day after I reported problems with Tidal via Roon, I had problems with Tidal on my Samsung Galaxy S8 phone. Tidal continued to work directly via the Naim app through my Uniti Nova however. Last night things worked until I stopped playing Tidal using the Naim Uniti Nova remote control and switched to a different input for an hour. Tidal would not stream via the Naim Uniti or on the phone. Once I deleted the app then re-installed, both the phone and Roon would stream Tidal again. Currently things are working. I have always been able to stream Roon Radio with no problems and local files on a USB drive are all good. Changing streaming quality on Tidal didn’t make any difference. I will check out Cloudflare DNS if problems recur. We shall see…… Thanks.
I changed my modem/router DNS to Cloudflare 184.108.40.206 and that instantly fixed the problem and streaming Tidal via Roon has been steady and uninterrupted for the last 4 days. Also fixed the Prime video that wasn’t streaming despite a steady 80Mbps from my ISP.
Cheers and thanks.