Roon 1.7 vs 1.8, hmmm

Throwing a fit? I mean what use does that feature have? If I can’t look at albums as a whole to see ratings that I may have created myself, it’s a basically useless feature. I don’t go into each album to see the rating. If I did that with every album to figure out which ones I quickly want to choose from, it would take me all day.

That’s what I meant by mutilating the feature rather than removing it. You don’t agree it’s basically worthless for the above described purpose?

I didn’t say you were throwing a fit, I was referring to the post I quoted, where the blatantly incorrect “No more star rating of albums” was written. That was not you, nor did I reply to you originally. Sorry for the misunderstanding. But yes, a rant over the removal of something that is in fact not removed is IMO accurately called throwing a fit.

The feature can be used for Focus (which, for me, was actually always what it was most useful for). That said, yes it should be an option at least on thumbnails, for the third time.

[quote=“Suedkiez, post:44, topic:141940”]
The feature can be used for Focus. That said, yes it should be an option at least on thumbnails, for the third time.
[/quote]Yes, except with Focus my queries with star ratings are currently broken by the focus feature changing and/or. Which is kind of the issue, no? They did this all over the place and these are compound fractures.

1 Like

How so? What are “queries”? The way I use them works the same as it always did, as far as I have seen so far

(I agree that the logic change in tags is very bad)

queries are what is created by using the focus feature. It returns the data according to your query parameters. It previously used OR. Now it uses AND. My bookmarked focused queries have changed in results and this is a known bug.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/make-focus-an-or-operation-instead-of-and/

I see. I don’t have any bookmarks like this so I was lucky. This is without doubt a valid complaint. It is however IMHO addressed best by being correct. “No more star ratings” was not, so that’s why I replied to it - it seemed to me that it may have been taken as a fact

Just as another example, if I have a query for albums above 2 stars for artist X, it used to display the star ratings in the returned albums. Now I just know they’re all 3 stars or higher but nothing beyond that. A loss of insight that was always there before is now gone. Why would that be taken away in a release marketed at giving users more insight into their library?

2 Likes

That’s correct that the other user said there were “none”. But he’s not far off. There are none where they serve any usefulness. I’d have felt better if they just took the feature away if it’s no longer usable. At least then I’d have a clear understanding they don’t want users having the feature rather than users having a feature that works worse than before.

2 Likes

Yes I am in full agreement with this. (Even in 1.7 I was wishing for more flexibility for rating combos in Focus, or maybe I just never figured out how to show “only” 3 stars, not 3- or 3+)

They are still useful to me though it could be better (and also in 1.7)

1 Like

It’s even worse in Landscape mode. I use an 8" Fire HD tablet which sits landscape in a charging dock, and this useless info fills the screen. Look, all they need is to add some config options in Settings to disable those panels, and things will be good again. I imagine they were so pleased with themselves at implementing portrait mode that they didn’t think too hard about this wasted space.

the service problem is small I think version 1.8 sounds like mp3, version 1.7 was very musical and “analog”

It’s not a bug, it’s a design decision.
Hopefully they will adjust it.

so true. as a programmer myself I see NOTHING that was fixed (coz nothing I saw as broken before!), and A LOT that was broken (which works acceptably stable). I see some sabotage with that preliminary pre-beta state software release :frowning:

3 Likes

1.8 sound exactly the same to me via Meridian DSP, it always did. So if you have sound quality issues you need to look elsewhere. I have to say, Meridian systems even make MP3 sound great

2 Likes

I think your system averages a lot and it softens the sound and you can’t hear the source changes.

I don’t think mine “averages” anything (whatever this is supposed to mean) and I disagree with “sounds like mp3”, this is bordering on the ridiculous. Some people say it sounds worse, some say it sounds better, nobody is doing any basic controls for even volume, it is all in your heads or elsewhere in your systems

2 Likes

You never could on an iPhone 6s. Surprised that larger iPhones had the screen space.

Am I not right, the db behind Roon is not a Relational server like SQL Server. Does SQL become irrelevant?

My tablet switches to clock or turns the screen off?

It’s a nosql database. The acronym stands for Not Only Structured Query Language.

Short answer: SQL queries can be executed on a nosql database. Nosql databases are called “non relational” because they don’t enforce relations to be maintained with (foreign) key fields. This does not mean that relations don’t exist or can’t be established and maintained. (A very simplified explanation, I know. Forgive the oversimplification).

After all, a database that doesn’t permit data correlation (= relations) would be quite useless, wouldn’t it?