Roon 1.7 - What is new?

DancingSea, I am not saying that Roon is bad since I purchased it about 2 months ago. I think a lot of small improvments could be done. I am just saying that 1.7 is not a major update.

Have you tried the “Transmute Lead into Gold” feature?
Admittedly, you could convert hydrogen to helium in the last version. But moving up the Periodic Table begins to offer some attractive alternatives.

16 Likes

@grossmj : Where is “Transmute Lead into Gold” feature?

Thanks

I agree actually. 1.7 has not changed my Roon experience much. I’m not a radio fan as the vast majority don’t broadcast in FLAC lossless. And not being able to skip a track I don’t care for is a dealbreaker for me. Inefficient use of my listening time.

I do like the Pandora recommendation type improvements but it will take time for those to prove accurate and effective and 100K users is a small group.

My Roon life has remained the same as with 1.6. And that’s ok with me. I can’t think of anything major I’d want accept better room correction built in. My main request is simply stay in business and keep up with bug fixes. If they do that, I’ll be very satisfied.

I appreciate the ability to add/correct lyrics. IMO, Live Radio took a big step forward.

1 Like

I like the New releases for you section in the overview and the recommend albums on the side. In past releases music discovery was limited to just the influenced by, similar to, and followed by section, which came from All Music’s data you could find online. 1.6 roon radio finally added content outside of favorited library. 1.7 expands this to albums not in our libraries yet.

I can see how this can be expanded to build a new discovery section that recommends genres and artist based on listening patterns.

But overall not much has changed in the interface or general functionality of roon. I was expecting a new UI and mobile in this update, so it’s a bit of a let down.

It took months and months and months for this much…a new UI and mobile would probably take years!

Meanwhile lets take a look at the so-called competition

Volumio changes over the past 5-6 months. BTW this is FREE software, with 2-3 devs updating software on their own dime and time.

CHANGELOG

2.668 14-11-2019)

FIXES

Improved highresaudio.com navigation
Fixed playback of Primo with Music Hall amps
Use Albumartist over artist when exploding albums
Fixed playback of Various artists albums
Fix goto for plugins which don’t have this function

NEW ADDITIONS

Localization on plugins install and uninstall
Add facility to enable plugin after installing
Renamed MyMusic Section to Sources
Improved German, Russian, French and Italian Translations
Add ability to enable or disable MyVolumio plugins
System version on REST API
2.657 18-10-2019)
FIXES
Fixed Multiple Alarms Scheduling
Improved Volumio3 Mobile UI
Fixed Cloud sync of favourites, playlists and webradios

NEW FEATURES
Bluetooth A2DP Audio Playback for MyVolumio Virtuoso and Superstar Users
Add device HWUUID reading from DEV page
Raspberry PI Kernel Bump to 4.19.79

2.632 03-10-2019)
FIXES
Fix mobile search on Volumio3 UI
Fix search and play for some albums
Fix double scroll bar for Volumio3 UI
Fixed playback on HDMI and Audio Jack on PI

NEW ADDITIONS
Added hiresaudio.com integration on MyVolumio Superstar
Added Input playback on MyVolumio Superstar
New Hifiberry DACs support
Tinyart facility
Include track numbers in album view

2.619 (24-09-2019)
FIXES
Re-enable QOBUZ Support
Do not send certain search strings to Qobuz

NEW ADDITIONS
Include track number in albums view
Albumart Upload for CD Ripping
Show Album metadatas when playing CDs
Show only 1 toast message

2.609 (11-09-2019)
FIXES
Restored Artist albumarts
Improvements on Volumio3 UI
Removed focus on search
Fix for settings on mobile
Capitalized Last 100

NEW ADDITIONS
Improved modal interactions
Extended REST API
Better method for external volume commands

2.599 (02-08-2019)
NEW ADDITIONS
Raspberry PI 4 support
New webradios facility
New Volumio3 UI
New REST API facility
Enable USB Hotplug

FIXES
Fixed search bar on mobile
Fixed support for all Raspberry PI models

2.598 (26-07-2019)
NEW ADDITIONS
Raspberry PI 4 support
New webradios facility
New Volumio3 UI
New REST API facility
Enable USB Hotplug

FIXES
Fixed search bar on mobile

2.587 (15-06-2019)
FIXES
Fix addition of Webradios, Playlists and Favourite Radios under some circumstances
Add Shoutcast to Webradios search Options

2.586 (04-06-2019)
FIXES
Fix upnp stop when adding to queue
Fix Shairport buffer size for Primo
Fix Streaming Services availability under certain conditions

2.583 (02-06-2019)
NEW ADDITIONS
Advanced settings mode selector
Added repeat single mode

FIXES
Fix MyVolumio Login on page load

That list looks impressive but then I looked at the app. It cost $1.99 and the first screenshot looked terrible. I know that’s not fair but just based on what I see I wouldn’t even pursue it further.

I believe the underlying work on Valence is what took most of roon’s time. This seems like it will be the backbone of further update. The UI overhaul probably won’t come until 2.0 and now people are trying to say roon should have an add fee for mobile. Seems weird to be suggesting they charge more for features.

Yep, giving it a name does make it seem like its all “New and Improved”.

Works for me… :smiley:

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: What I would have liked in Roon 1.7

The cataloguing of classical albums and box sets seems to have improved. I particular like the track and the track number feature - which helps greatly when referencing libretti etc.

Hey
It is important to acknowledge the work done by others … even on a paid service… that’s why we always say Thank You to the bus driver…
The new radio interface is a work of thousands of people who put their time to give you the vast directory… you no longer rely on copy a paste from “Tunein or other”.
The backup process Is faster…and the layout is great.
A question for you…any specific feature in mind that will be considered “big improvement”?
Thx

• Deezer Hifi integration

There is a list of feature request here if you want to have a look. None have been implemented, I believe. Maybe Roon 2.0 or 14.7😅

@Stephane_Cherie
You have to remember that Roon is a niche software targetted on audiophiles who always talk in superlatives. Every small minor detail gets exagerated into gigantic proportions. I have to admit it is hard to take it all seriously but after a while you will learn to read between the lines. Devide everything you read by ten and you will read closer to the truth.

1 Like

Stephanie. For someone who likes discovering new music, the ‘Recommended for you’ feature in the sidebar when playing tracks is worth the upgrade alone. Within a couple of days of upgrading I’d found two new artists that completely ticked my boxes. And this finds its way into the ‘New releases for you’ feature in the Overview screen (desktop). Roon is so good anyway that these small additions are just icing on the cake. Just enjoy.

4 Likes

Major updates usually come with a change in the major number of the release. 2.0 may be the “revolution” you are looking for. I am happy with Roon Radio in 1.7, and especially happy with a few bug fixes. For the first time, Roon has support for RTL (right to left) languages. I have many albums of Arabic music which had not been displayed correctly until this update.

Still does nothing for the big boxes , eg Brendel Phillips 114 CDs

Stephane…

To paraphrase Monty Python: Apart from that, what have the Roonies ever done for us…

7 Likes