Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

Nice video presentation. Look forward to trying it.

1 Like

I liked the first video. It really does look fresh, and more Focus can only be a good thing. I’m excited!

4 Likes

If you had listened to the Roon podcast that was recently posted, you would have found clues about mobile…

New design looking good, though I already see that it unfortunately doesn’t have a global filter/funnel. In other words, if I’m in Overview, or anywhere besides the Album Pages, and say I decide I want to hear Kind Of Blue, I can’t just go to a global funnel up top and start typing in “K-I…” but still have to go to the Albums page and then filter from there. First world problem for sure, but I’m hoping Roon could continue to cut down on some of the continuous navigating that needs to be done in order to do the simplest things.

The landing page promo video is not only a great teaser for the upcoming 1.8 update, it’s as good of an explanation for what makes Roon special, and worth utilizing, as I’ve seen. It’s a really good explainer.

3 Likes

Roon 1.8 looks great. May I ask, does Roon management have any comments on the SQ of 1.8? There are some who felt the latest build of 1.7 may have been a small step back in SQ. Let’s not debate that. I use Roon and love it. I’m just curious is there are any expectations that users should have regarding the SQ of 1.8?

3 Likes

This is from Darko’s report.

certainly the funnel is on this page

.sjb

1 Like

Is this a cosmetic release or will it have Atmos?

1 Like

I hope we’re not stuck with that purple (etc?) color(s) everywhere. I like the current Dark Mode, subdued layout. Let the color be with the Album Art not the interface, plz.

3 Likes

Gotta say really like that new look to roon. I am really hoping that one of the changes in 1.8 is like someone else said earlier on in this thread and hoping that can finally add my own album reviews and notes directly into roon, so it all flows seamlessly within roon itself instead of having to open an external PDF application to read stuff as that just felt clunky as hell to me and really did not like it. Fingers crossed this is happening in this release.

1 Like

That is an interesting use of the word “or”.

1 Like

446 days from the last point release of V1.7 B500

1 Like

Nice display of purely subjective opinion. Change, evolution, improvement and updates are inevitable and part of ordinary life. Roon cannot please everyone but they certainly couldn’t stand still and refuse to innovate and progress. You’ll either get used to the new interface or move on to another product as we all or free to do. And “tuned to time” simply means up to date with current trends, functionalities and user expectations in 2021 with a look toward the future.

1 Like

Does it support Tidal Family Subscriptions fully yet?

2 Likes

I very much like the new style and I’m sure the revamped Focus will be much more efficent, but I really liked the charting on the old Focus pane, esp. by Genre, Year released. It sadly looks to be completely text based now, with charting just for play history.

I’d also be interested to see how the editing metadata screens have changed. Of course bulk revisions/corrections to meta for unidentified albums should be carried out in a third-party app, but for the odd album the current editing - file order with sliders etc… are very poor UX.

One of my biggest wishes is for a Guest user profile, which just allows playback/playlist creation with the options to edit/delete removed. Essential when you let friends/family use the control apps.

1 Like

Agreed - or at least I hope there’s a setting to customize the accent color. That blue/purple looks quite bad (to my taste) particularly when it’s the background to sets of album covers as I’ve seen in some screenshots.

1 Like

Is it possible to enlarge covers and artwork from albums in the new Roon 1.8 version?

2 Likes

Roon, you look awesome!

Hit me with your rhythm stick!
Hit me! Hit me!
Je t’adore, ich liebe dich!

10 Likes

this looks awesome!

i was critical of the UI over time which got very burdensome, 1.8 looks really simple and clean, love it

2 Likes

For everyone’s info, myself included, other screenshots that I saw later show that the playback control section has indeed been raised to be further above the iPad app switcher. Great!

2 Likes