Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

SimplyCompass has beaten me to it.

With the “Full Screen” setting, what you see is dependant on the resolution of your monitor. I have mine set to it’s native resolution, and would hate to lose the “Full Screen” option that enables this. I doubt if this will happen, but it would be a serious flaw if it does.

Also helps to know where you are! I was in Qobuz - it didn’t show more than 10 there, but if I navigate to albums I saw 14 I think it was. Thanks all!

Absolutely, I really need the ability to ‘Unlike’ Artists or Composers. Roon Radio sometimes has atrocious taste in music!

1 Like

Stunning I love dark mode :sunglasses:

Depends on resolution I think. This is my 4K screen display (18 albums wide)

1 Like

We’ll have another email tonight from Roon to know more about this 1.8 release, hopefully. I can’t wait to see separate libraries.

1 Like

Only feature I want/need is Airplay2 support. Everything else is several orders of magnitude less important.

My only question is-- if all I have is ROON core ie my MAC and have deleted from my iPad and iPhone ROON remote will this new version 1.8 load without a problem? The last version wouldn’t/didn’t load for a long time because developers NEVER said you had to update the remotes also. I am just a simple country guy/physician and don’t want any problems this time. If I don’t update because I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the last update will ROON still load version 1.7(ever so slowly as it always does? or has that issue been addressed in this new version).I love ROON(love the mega data radio and integration of TIDAL&Qobuz and all my playlists/ripped CDs and iTunes library) and have been a life time subscriber(what ever that means at my age) since it was initially offered and much less expensive than now.bobbmd

I get more on my 9.7” iPad 5th Gen:

1 Like

It’s always a possibility and one that you should be prepared for…

I still get 7 x 3 rows on the 12.9 but bigger :grinning:

Without even some short prior notice? That would be a terribly inelegant move.

If you a just running Roon ‘all in one’ on your Mac, v1.8 should install and run fine.
For a major point release like this, it would be a mistake to run v1.8 on your core (your Mac) and v1.7 on your remotes.
You might find the experience on the iPad a lot nicer with the new user interface. But be sure to upgrade your tablet to v1.8 before you try to run it.

I’ve since seen that in their website and marketing materials, I hadn’t seen it before. I’ve always wondered how big the Roon community really is…

That is exactly what Roon have told us will happen. Just like the price increase which with zero warning. If you have any fear that they eliminate the lifetime option with 1.8 and you don’t buy it before the 9th, you have only you too blame!

So be it, then - won’t be able to commit without knowing whether my setup works properly. As if I were doing them a favor by anticipating more than five years of expected yearly revenues without even knowing if they are gonna be around by then.

The community is much smaller, I stand corrected about a quarter of users , although I think active members are much lower

It must be 18 months ago Roon celebrated passing the 100k subscribers. People come people go.

Letting out too much opens their finances to the public so they are understandably a bit cagey

There have been several hints over the years that lifetime subscriptions will be removed at some point in the not too distant future. I think the price increase from $500 to $700 also happened without prior notice.

If you’re unsure about the future of Roon >5 years from now you should stick with the yearly subscription.

I don’t think you buying a lifetime subscription is doing Roon any favors. Roon has told us they prefer yearly subscriptions.

5 Likes