Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

Pinch to zoom would allow people to choose whatever they want within reasonable limits. Like they are grown ups and can make trade offs for themselves. One person might have great eyesight, a good memory for album covers, and a Retina display and would choose quantity, another might have not such good eyes, and prefer big big album covers for which he/she would happily trade quantity. Why is this even being discussed? What kind of understanding of diversity is there in this community?

2 Likes

I don’t think you understood my reply - I am definitely not doing a software developer any favors when paying a non-negligible amount of money for its product; and if they had no need for my money, they would not try to sell such a product.

Demand elasticity is always upon us; worry not.

It’s possible Jez that it’s quite difficult to do this the way Roon renders a screen. Everything we see is pure graphics (hence no ability to cut and paste text). Presumably this is done to give a more favorable display and wider capability across platforms.
IDK exactly how they do the screens, but it’s clearly very different than any other app I use. So that might be the hangup?

This was part of the statement released in regards to the price increase:

The lifetime should not be an aspiration for Roon subscribers. It hurts us as a company and is not a viable business model for our future. If the price increase has reduced demand for lifetime subscriptions, that’s a good thing for our business.

It’s unlikely that we’ll offer a lifetime option forever. If you enjoy Roon and believe in what we’re doing, the best way to support it is to subscribe annual. We will do our level best to earn that support for many years to come.

The annual is STILL $119 for a year. That’s $10 a month. If Roon isn’t worth $10 a month to you, then we are doing something wrong and you should go elsewhere. It certainly brings me more joy than $10 every month, and our business vision is to do the same for every one of our subscribers.

Take from it what you want, but as @Speed_Racer said, it reads as if they really do want to turn you away from lifetime purchases and solely keep them around as to still give people some type of choice for as long as they deem viable. The statement was released November '19, so there was plenty of time for people to opt for lifetime until now (as did I just yesterday after a year of subscribing at $119).

1 Like

You can do lifetime, annual, and now monthly. The choice is your’s. There are no guarantees on how long or if any of these options will remain and at what price. Roon is a product/service for sale for profit.

That’s obvious - I simply abhor the subscription model for anything that does not provide content per se.

1 Like

I might have misunderstood your post, but are you saying that Roon doesn’t provide any content?

I think this is starting to turn into a debate on principles, in case you are actually trying to make a decision here and not just vent:

In my opinion the following part of the statement sums it up the best way possible.

If Roon isn’t worth $10 a month to you, then we are doing something wrong and you should go elsewhere

I’m not a fan of subscriptions either, hence I keep them to a minimum. Roon however improved my music experience tenfold and therefore had a positive impact on my life.

So much so that I decided to take the gamble and buy the lifetime subscription. As @Jim_F said, the choice is yours.

Correct - it is not a streaming service per se; it simply consoildates your own content and presents/serves it in a nice way.

But don’t fret; this is my mindset as a consumer; I am not saying Roon is bad or useless - otherwise I would not be considering it. I just don’t accept to pay for these kinds of solutions in instalments or worry about periodical renewals. I prefer to take my payment as a sunk cost and forget about it.

You are absolutely right - the issue for me is not the amount itself (thankfully I still have plenty of disposable income); it is the principle of paying for something forever - unless we are talking about regularly served content (like Disney, Netflix, Tidal, etc.), I refuse to do it.

Just like I have always done with MS Office; if I do not have a choice to pay once, I refuse to support it.

Anyway, don’t want to go off-topic; I just hope lifetime will still be around when 1.8 is released and I have time to test it with my integrated amp and iDevices.

2 Likes

Not interested in new visuals or makeovers: does it do a smart playlist for ‘Recently added’? If not will have to stick to Audirvana…( there I said it!).

3 Likes

its a half day ride from allman to the beatles :wink:

1 Like

@grossmsj: thanks for the reply— as I stated I have deleted ROON remote from both my iPad and iPhone as I no longer or hardly ever needed to use them—AND as I stated with the last update 1.7 NO ONE indicated you had to update the remotes also and I never gave it a thought because I hardly ever used them-so am glad to hear you say new version should load without a hitch. Will it(Ver 1.8) take a long time(to load) as I have 1000s of ripped CDs 15000++ songs plus hundreds of playlists on both TIDAL and Qobuz-just asking so I don’t become frustrated.
BTW— I watched the video the new version looks pretty spiffy can’t wait
bobbmd & thanks for the quick reply

I think there is a message that pops up somewhere telling you to update control devices when necessary.

It is highly likely that the server (Core) and remote have to be at the same version for this release. Its always been this way in the past and likely a database upgrade will also be part of the process - so the update will take a little longer. I’ve seem the same thing over many updates not just point releases.

BACKUP your databases NOW and just before the 9th Feb release - dont say you were not told. You can backup to multiple destinations too so dont be complacent!

As roon moves to a more cloud based metadata interaction with Valence etc you will be unable to run different core and remote versions. Get over it, its part of living with such a dynamically rich platform.

1 Like

Any idea whether Mac/iDevice system requirements will increase with 1.8?

1 Like

100% nailed-on prediction:

Within an hour of it being released, someone will say 1.8 sounds better than 1.7, while someone else will say it sounds worse. Reality: it will sound the same as every other version ever has.

22 Likes

I just noticed how to use the PDF feature yesterday. Neat!

How about sparing us the big introduction and just ship the product already?

It’s been in beta since December, so what is magically going to happen between now and next Monday that is going to make a dime’s worth of difference?

1 Like

Look forward to learn more.

Any update on multi-channel support like Dolby Atmos as well as 5.1 releases?
If yes, which “roon ready” devices support this?
Tidal and AppleTV support immersive audio nicely over HDMI.

1 Like