Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

Yeah. I leave Roon and use the ‘see the label’ search in Qobuz and ‘heart’ the rekkids I find there so they’ll show up in Roon later. It’s not ideal but, philosophically, all of life is a work-around…

2 Likes

It’s probably emotional for me.

I remember the labels from the vinyl, If you had an Island, A&M, Mulligan, Warp, Factory, you sort of knew what to expect. Label to me is not simply metadata. Joy Divisions should always be on Factory no matter what hedge fund owns the rights and is re-releasing them now.

We’ll agree to differ.

.sjb

3 Likes

I can search for this on Qobuz though. If I want to search for Factory records I can. It will bring up everything they have. That is what us users want. Same goes for many other criteria we need to be able to search for outside of our contained libraries. The general search is just not good enough to be specific, there are no tools in the qobuz section to help you with this but you can on thier own app. Sorry but now this needs to be happening in Roon.

I for one was lead to believe by al the marketing and the demo that focus had truly opened up, but it appears not.

1 Like

Well, I have a rather big vinyl collection and understand very well what you are talking about. But, on the other hand, this is Roon and the question was if we can explore an artist’s digitally issued discography by label. And this seems possible, or so it has been answered by knowledgeable users.

By the way, I listen mainly to classical music, and I care a lot about the label on which an album has been issued. Experience teaches us that there are definitely labels with consistently high recording and sound processing, and which I therefore prefer.

2 Likes

Hey @mike,
Looking forward to the release! Would it be possible for you to confirm if you guys are still using OpenGL on Mac for this release please? Or have you guys moved to Metal or some other framework?

Thanks,

Well when I search for factory records in Qobuz (US) I don’t get any Joy Division!

A quick look through Joy Division (on Qobuz) and their release are on London, Rhino, WM UK for the one’s I’ve looked at.

IIIC in Roon 1.8 if I search for Joy Division I will be able to focus on particular labels for them, but what we won’t be able to do is search factory records without being in a discography where there were factory releases by the artist.

That’s my understanding anyway.

.sjb

1 Like

That’s my understanding, too. For that we still have to look for the published catalogue on a label’s website or on Discogs.

I guess they are the rereleases after it went bust. But at least you can search for labels over the whole system. You cant even do that and get no results with Roon.

Yes thats how it works in Roon 1.8 but you have to have several steps to get there and search before that or a browse in the library.

But many od us want to then see what other bands are on the same label. That you cannot do at all anywhere other than library albums.

5 Factory label releases for Joy Division show up in 1.8 – 3 albums and 2 single/EPs.

I noticed you fixed that zombie pop-rock category behavior. I maintain my own genres and now I don’t see it any more, so thanks for that! Previously it was an empty genre that I couldn’t make go away.

Was there other work done on genre? Rationalizing that all-music genre tree? If so maybe I could go back to Roon for genres…

Yes, with regards to classical in particular, labels are important, as some take great care in their recordings.

This is primarily the reason I would like to be able to use Roon to search by label outside of what I already have in my collection.

If I’m reading these posts correctly, we are not getting this with 1.8. Disappointing. :frowning:

2 Likes

I use a Synology DS1019+ NAS as a Core, would the Synology Roon app get the 1.8 update as well?

1 Like

Yes, so it seems. We can use Focus on an artist’s or composer’s discography to drill down for labels, but we cannot search for a given label’s available issues on Tidal/Qobuz.

1 Like

It seems odd that they would have missed this opportunity; and it seems unlikely that it can’t be done. Not sure I’ve read an explanation other than “for now…”. Puzzling.

2 Likes

Btw, I just found a way in the Qobuz app to get a list of titles available by a particular label.

One bit of today’s announcement regarding Classical music left me :face_with_raised_eyebrow::

I hope this doesn’t mean that Valance will not recommend similar composers to the one in the seed. Jumping to Haydn from Mozart may be a bit trite, but there are certainly more obscure composers to be discovered in the periphery of well-known composers of any period and style. I don’t want to miss out on those suggestions!

1 Like

Yes; anyway, I am very much looking forward to the new release. Something will always be missing, but for the last year I have come to enjoy exploring the websites of smaller and independent labels, and I will continue doing so. By all means, what has been announced for 1.8 will make the user experience of us classical listeners more enjoyable, and I am thankful for that.

4 Likes

If I recall correctly, the NAS version of Roon was developed by a 3rd party (in agreement with Roon of course). You may want to ask them.

Not sure Valence can compete with the classical selections of @Andreas_Philipp1 but we shall see.

8 Likes

I totally understand your worry. I got worried when they were stating that only the cream of recordings will be highlighted.

That said, what I am thinking they meant when they stated about Valence was that we aren’t going to get “Classical Music To Relax To” and stuff like that. If Valence is going to be driven by us, most of us are going to be mining those more obscure composers, and hopefully Radio will be improved on that front. It may take some time for us to drive this Valence machine, but I am confident we will see something that when we play Vaughan Williams, we aren’t just going to just see Britten, but we will see Tippett as well. Perhaps not MacMillan, but possibly. That’s what makes me excited for next week!

1 Like