Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

Already confirmed

There are some screens that include Label as criteria in Focus, but the interaction between search and labels hasnā€™t changed in 1.8.

Like in 1.7, search will find labels already present in your library, but for now it wonā€™t search all the labels in the world.

Iam excited to see the continued development/evolution of this platform. Have loved using Roon with my collection, tidal and qobuz for many many years.

I do think the 5 part reveal has not really worked as everything seems to have been covered in the initial promo video.

Hi everyone,
Very excited about the upcoming 1.8, but wondering if my number 1 request will be met: will it be possible to have separate libraries for separate profiles? I havenā€™t read anything about this, but I am so looking forward to not have my friendsā€™ totally disgusting taste injected into my wonderful collection :wink:

3 Likes

I stand corrected, but I really thougt it was confirmed in one ot 1.8 treads.
Unfortunately, too much of a hassle to find it back in all that chaos.
Dirk

Duh! 5678910

Oh cmon man, why?

I would imagine itā€™s just too messy.

What is the Beatles label, parlephone, capitol, apple, EMI or UMG?

Original label would be useful but I donā€™t suppose that information is readily available on TiVo, musicbrainz or the streaming platforms.

The Police should be on A&M, but that became Polydor and itā€™s now a UMG brand.

Clicking UMG and finding 53,776 albums isnā€™t much use.

But wouldnā€™t it be great to find all recordings released by factory records, ECM, Mulligan etc. But where is that data to mine?

.sjb

5 Likes

Yep lots of data issues including incomplete data, as well as some framing context.

And yet, every album from Tidal in my library has a label metadata value. And if the recording has been issued several times by different labels, it is common to have Roon show all of them. So, it seems to me that this data certainly is available.

And, by the way, it seems silly to ask for the ā€˜labelā€™ metadata value of a Pop group, or any artist, for that matter. That is simply not defined. The ā€˜labelā€™ metadata is only defined for an issued recording - on any available physical medium.

1 Like

Itā€™s not that bad.

For the vast, vast majority of All Music Guide meta data the label was whatever was on the jacket cover of the CD they copied it from by hand as it should be. That never changes because that release only came from that label. If the masters were sold to another label who re-released the album, there would be another release from that label captured. Itā€™s not confusing and is pretty straight forward. If you look at the beatles discography in 1.8 the label structure is very straightforward.

I donā€™t know the discogs processes as well as AMG but I think their label data is ok also.

Digital only releases ā€“ especially ones directly from artists complicate it more so it is certainly clear that there will be holes in this data but for the bigger more popular artists the data will be pretty good and 1.8 will make it much easier to navigate.

1 Like

The press releases and videos are about setting expectations. Possibly tempering (or lowering) them. Itā€™s UI and Valence, and thatā€™s about all. Unless theyā€™re sandbagging and there are surprises in store . Just my opinion. Will be happy to be wrong. Regardless, Iā€™ve tried them all, and Iā€™m all in on roon.

And even on those self-releases Tidal has almost always an associated ā€˜labelā€™ metadata value. And I say almost, because I will not discard the rare case where that is not so. But I canā€™t remember having seen it happen.

Interesting, I received email 1 and 2 but not 3 and 4. Not in spam folders eitherā€¦

Anybody care to screenshot them?

Hopefully you can read that.

2 Likes

Andreas, OT but a few days ago you offered helpā€¦ Iā€™m trying to decide between Tidal and Qobuz. Sounds like you prefer Tidal. Much respect for your music selections, so I thought I would ask your advice, why Tidal vs Qobuz? Cheers. Mark

So does this mean if I try to filter the recordings of (for example) Leonard Bernstein by DG or Sony/Columbia, that focus will not work across streaming platforms? Maybe there is less utility in focus for classical searches than I initially thought, as a performer/conductorā€™s work by label is a very ordinary and established criterion for Classical listening.

2 Likes

Mark, in my case I had no choice - Qobuz isnā€™t available in my country. Another aspect is the pricing - Tidal offers regional pricing which in my case translates to approx. USD 5 per month. I donā€™t like Tidalā€™s shift to MQA, and occasionally albums I like are only available as low-res AAC, so thatā€™s the downside.

1 Like

No, you can do this. Canā€™t show any screen shots here from 1.8 because itā€™s not yet released but looking at Leonard Bernsteinā€™s discography, there are over 500 main albums and over 700 releases showing across my library, qobuz and tidal (and I only have a few myself). They can all be sorted by label in focus.

What you canā€™t do is start just by going to the Qobuz or Tidal link directly. You wonā€™t find focus there. Not sure why but that is what Iā€™m seeing. You get the full power of focus when your in the discography of an artist.

2 Likes

Itā€™s actually in the promo video, with Miles Davis and the Prestige label as the example. The suggestion is made that in the case of Miles the filter applies to ā€œover a 1000 recordingsā€ and the results show albums from Tidal and Qobuzā€¦

Soā€¦ I get the impression too that label search also works outside of your library, but maybe Iā€™m misunderstanding this.