Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

Really enjoying it.

My point is not the cover art not being in place, but that there have been changes to ā€œNow Playingā€ which was still not very good. Four month later it was updated - I guess after some very hectic work from the Roon team - and was and is working.

The issue did indicate some QA issues, which I dont hope to se again. It has been heavily been discussed in this forum. For the record, I have life time license, just to emphase Roon as ā€œa Music Lovers Best Friendā€.

Are there changes in boxset handling?

3 Likes

No. 10Char

Nothing beens mentioned yet on that side of things.

Tomorrowā€™s mail shot on classical music may shed light but donā€™t hold yer breath

Haha. As I was listening to some The Psycho Realm (American rap), it would start some Polish rap each and every time on Roon Radio. Denied it each time as well. I donā€™t even speak Polish, donā€™t live in Poland and not even live close to Poland.

Without wading thru many posts to find the answer it was easier to ask. Sorry that irked you.

Didnā€™t irk me at allā€¦ :smiley:

So the new Focus features:

Is this for albums only? If not, does Roon now have track-level metadata? (e.g., If I want to find songs with Emmylou Harris guest vocals, is it going to tell me the actual songs, or just give me albums then make me figure out the songs on my own?)

Is Focus going to work on phones?

Will Focus include library data like play counts, date last played, and favorite status?

Roon metadata casts a ridiculously wide net in terms of genres, including artists and albums in every genre they have even had a brush with. Will this be narrowed to the point it is usable?

Iā€™m really looking forward to the new management functions for classical music content. Up to this day i havenā€™t encountered a music manager which could only marginally live up to the needs of people really into classical music.

Oh boy, am I curious

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

On first look at 1.8, I think youā€™ll be impressed with the classical ability ā€¦

1 Like

Totally with you here. The mere fact that Roon recognizes a ā€œworkā€ with several movements and is able to treat it as a single entity to play, queue, etc. was what sold me into a lifetime subscription some two years ago now.

The risk we take as classical music lovers is that since the industry has neglected our needs for so long, many of us have developed our own workarounds (via custom tagging, folder structures, naming conventions, etc.) and now some of those workarounds can get in the way of the solutions implemented by Roon (or others). Itā€™s the lack of standard guidelines and taxonomy for classical music handling that is at the core of this problemā€¦ an issue that has grown organically over many years and that hopefully will resolve itself over time - for our grand-kids to enjoy :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Completely agree with you @Miguel_Rode and I am curious if those that were forced to adopt their own approach to handle classical will have any issues with 1.8. I hope not.

When I ran Gracenote, we had to invent a format to stuff appropriate classical info into the normal 3 lines that show in all music players ā€“ album, artist, track ā€“ to enable a hacked approach to at least show the right info for all those that licensed our content/tech. But it was lame.

Back in the early 2000s, a rich investor ā€“ Bill Stensrud ā€“ purchase Muze (the competitor to AMG: All Music Guide) because he had one of the largest collections of classical music in the world ā€“ 10Ks of albums ā€“ and wanted to solve the classical meta data problem for his own benefit (amongst other things), but he never was successful and in the end both Muze and AMG were purchased by Rovi, now Tivoā€¦

This is the first effort Iā€™ve ever seen to solve this problem at scale ā€“ at the intersection of streaming servicesā€™ catalogs and your own library ā€“ with a next gen design. Again, at first glance the results are very impressive but I am not a hard core classical user so waiting anxiously for those that are to weigh inā€¦

6 Likes

Hi all.
I just broke my tab. What would be the Non apple device that suite roon 1.8 the best?

The Fire HD10 would probably be one place to go. Another would be the Microsoft Surface devices. I think the idea is a large format tablet useful in portrait and landscape. But we need to see exactly how these work when 1.8 is formally released rather than idly speculate.

I just saw the new Part 4 email. Color me excited about the new classical features! Since they fleshed out the Focus feature so much, I imagine this will finally arrive on mobile remote apps.

1 Like

Donā€™t forget the search functionā€¦you donā€™t have to read the whole thread. Search is your friend :slightly_smiling_face::wink:

1 Like

Man, I hope this greatly heralded release gets rid of my biggest criticism of this basket Iā€™ve put all my eggs inā€¦ the massive waste of screen space given to huge unused blank margins left & right. (The news release screen caps seem to imply it may have.)

Sooo many posts lol

Is there going to be a search by label function? This would be a great addition if so