Roon 1.8 arrives on February 9th

Danny posted earlier but let me reinforce the statement …

• Roon 1.7 apps will not work with a 1.8 Roon Core
  • Roon 1.8 apps will not work with a 1.7 Roon Core
  • Roon Bridge devices remain compatible with both 1.7 and 1.8
  • Roon Ready devices remain compatible with both 1.7 and 1.8

The availability of the iOS apps is governed by Apple, Roon has mitigated for this to get approval in advance but there still can be some deployment latency across the globe.

Hope that covers it.

PS
Seems not, so I’ll add that Roon Tested devices will remain compatible with Roon.
Don’t read any more into this … all is well … just watch out for Core / Remote versions that’s all.

14 Likes

In the future, could this situation be mitigated by having two IOS apps? One could be named Roon 1.7 Remote and the other Roon 1.8 Remote. I guess there are reasons such an obvious solution would not work, IDK.

1 Like

Keep a 1.7 and a 1.8 app on different devices to ensure you have full control

3 Likes

How can I switch off auto update the core from an iPad ?

1 Like

In iOS, Settings ==> App Store will stop updating the Remote.

To stop updating the Core -

Edit: I see what you mean. The field you need to shut off automatic Core updates doesn’t show under an iOS Remote. Another fckup?

(You must be running RoonServer? Otherwise, you would just get on your Core machine.)

1 Like

OK, now you’ve really scared me, I hope inadvertently.

Is the fact that your clear and helpful summary doesn’t include the line “* Roon Tested devices remain compatible with both 1.7 and 1.8” simply an oversight or might my KEF LS50 Wireless (original version 1 model) stop working with 1.8?

Could someone please clarify the status of Roon Tested devices with 1.8.

Can’t answer for Carl, but if a version (intentionally) impacted the viability of Roon Tested devices that would be an unconscionable release design on Roon’s part.

1 Like

They’ll be fine

1 Like

I regularly use a tablet unlocked with Roon open and running as a “now playing” display. I’ve never heard an impact from this on sound quality. This could be a work-around until lock screen controls arrive - although you end up charging the tablets more frequently.

However, I like an endpoint with a remote control, with physical play/pause and “Good grief not that track” buttons for instant control.

1 Like

Yes, you took the point.
However I don’t intend to make an issue out of this. It was more the intention to stop those that might do, by having Roon Team inform them, and stop a overflow of support cases and critics.
I trust the Roon team, so I guess they know what they are doing.

1 Like

I think they’re talking about minutes or hours in the worst case before everything is synced up. Is this really worth the angst?

Tough crowd…

5 Likes

It could be if you’re the one that loses access. It would depend on the solution.

Hi @Julian ,

It wasn’t an oversight, as I was reporting on the compatibility of Roon’s 1.7 vs 1.8 software rather than compatibility to 3rd party devices. I added the comment in about Roon’s Bridge software as I anticipated someone would ask about it.

That said, I can assure you that Roon Tested devices are still supported. I will amend my post for clarity.

2 Likes

I’m told Apple don’t allow it, but if it were I suspect it may cause more confusion / frustration for users.

No it’s not. I agree with you. BTW, I’m questioning minutes and hours. But the guy (or girl) that never visit here or stay updated on the information flow, and always just get these automatic updates, may have issues.
I’ve seen how people gets crazy about something that may only concern 10 persons. Don’t believe me, read the tread about Roon certification issues.
That’s an example how what seems a small issue to some, escalating a bit I would say.
Anyway I’m looking forward to the ninth.

Is there something special happening with this one? In four years or so I’ve never had an issue with updates - they just happen with a few minutes down time as the core updates. Control apps get updated at the same time when prompted generally. It’s always been relatively seamless.

No it’s been the same with several previous releases but with those there has been no announcement until it is there.

I would absolutely love if this functionality was implemented into Roon. I get the feeling we’re in the minority and that playlists aren’t going to be improved. Roon seems to focus on albums and radio.

3 Likes

It will be seamless for most people as the iOS app will be available at the same time as the Core. But there may be delays in the AppStore in some countries beyond Roon’s control.

I think there have been releases with incompatible apps before, but can’t remember exactly when.

1 Like

This one will be a bit different. The v1.7 Roon Remote apps are incompatible with v1.8 Core and vice versa. All you need to know is don’t update Core until there’s a v1.8 version of Roon Remote available at your favorite app store. If you update Core too soon, you could completely lose control.

Roon Labs has little control over the timing of app updates in the Apple App and Google Play stores as things roll out at different times across the globe.

4 Likes