Roon 1.8 (Build 1105) Sound Quality - WOW

They also have unbelievably fantastic memories with the ability to compare the sound a component heard months, if not years, ago to the sound of the current component under review. This uncanny memory allows them to forgo direct side by side comparisons and thereby makes component reviews much, much easier. The term “Golden Ears” should be changed to “God Like Ears”. Truly amazing!! :grin:

5 Likes

When Mitch Barnett did my Room Correction filters, I learned that our acoustical memory lasts only in the seconds range. I used Mitch’s Hang Loose Convolver, which allows switching between different filters or setups with a mouse click, keeping the same volume.
For me, it is impossible to do sound comparisons which include switches, cables, streamers etc…
It is simply impossible. The time needed to switch, plus other difficulties, are too long. You “forget” what you heard.

5 Likes

The Mrs. was listening from in the kitchen and hollered out “Hey did you get a new stereo? How much did you spend this time? We need to talk!”

7 Likes

And all you did was change the power cord on the preamp. :rofl:

2 Likes

I can see some throttling of this thread…next thing roon will be upping the price as audio sounds better.

3 Likes

I would be seriously worried if this were in fact true. To get an improvement suggests that prior to the improvement a digital process was colouring or distorting the audio before the improvement was made, which absolutely should not happen.

Yes, that’s why (in part) that people get the joke with this thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

OTOH, there are manufacturers who crow that their “new, improved” devices result in improved sound over the old versions.

1 Like

Of course they do. How could they possibly persuade existing and new users to buy the new stuff if they didn’t claim that? The is most amusing when reading the reviews. The reviewer has to admit how bad the last version was to claim how much better the new stuff is in certain areas, despite not mentioning these issues when they reviewed the old stuff. ‘…The veil we never mentioned before has now been lifted and that wobbly bass we completely overlooked is now firm etc etc…’

Don’t forget to mention improved PRaT :crazy_face:

Sometimes with code optimization the sound does change. The harder the server works the more chances for noise to enter your system. This will vary by the equipment used in your server and it’s operating system. Even roon admitted this on one of their builds where they said the sound had been optimized with path optimization. The bits still remain the same but the processing noise changes. imho, ymmv etc etc

That’s not true, and I don’t think Roon has ever made such claims.

1 Like

One example:

Two claims. Improved sound quality and lower CPU utilisation. No mention regarding the latter affecting the former, so no justification for your claim that …

3 Likes

In that case, the change in SQ is due to the way DSP changes the bits, not to how much CPU is used. Usually, the more CPU DSP is using, the better the SQ that can be obtained (e.g. by using more filter taps).

2 Likes

I guess that is my opinion then and I did apply the disclaimers. Prog On

Not to pile on, but the above statement is a pernicious myth. That a server working hard (whatever that means) can introduce noise that rises to an audible level is one of those subjectivist claims that are only useful in selling things like the Taika Extreme.

Your conflation of the two changes in Build 94 has already been addressed.

I have updated my streamers Software/ Firmware at the same time as Roon1.8 so I don’t know where the SQ improvement came from but yes using Qobuz the SQ did seem to improve although I can’t quite determine the source of the improvement. The app side does seem to crash and glitch less often. The buffering delay is less as well. I do not see how these would impact frequency response and dynamics but if you are happy with whatever changes happened to your audio chain I am happy for you.

A positive sentiment, but you should have read deeper into the thread than just the title. :slightly_smiling_face:

This thread was meant as joke whereas this thread is completely serious. I kid you not. Gotta love them audiophiles!

1 Like

Ha ha @Jazzfan_NJ you have lost control of your joke :rofl:

People are too lazy to read from the beginning, though with some of these threads I fully understand why, they get really long