Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

Just installed the android phone version. I have to see this looks, feels and operates a whole lot better then the old version. Font choices could be more consistent but what a big contrast with the desktop version. Wish that the desktop version had gotten the same attention as the phone app.

3 Likes

Some forum members say that the new look is ā€˜cleanā€™ and ā€˜modernā€™. However, from the screenshots posted it looks to me to be more minimalist and clumsy looking than before, with some pretty horrible and jarring colour combinations. Just not as subtle and aesthetically pleasing as the pre 1.8 version - especially on the desktop version which I use most of the time (with a 32" monitor).

Iā€™m disappointed. Functionality is obviously the most important part of Roon software, but for me aesthetics come a fairly close second.

Please - if weā€™re stuck with the new clumsy looking interface, can we please get rid of that horrible jarring purple colour that has replaced light blue - or at least give us the option of selecting our preferred colour.
That should surely be a pretty easy request to fulfil! Those who like the purple colour can keep it and those of us who hate it can change to something a little less visually jarring.

It looks to me as though the interface with itā€™s purple colour appearing all over the place was designed by a disciple of David Icke!

I also agree with the comments made by a number of people about the number of albums displayed on a page. If the number of albums displayable on the screen is limited to 50% of the number that used to be displayed than that is a hugely regressive step!

15 Likes

Installation with no issue
New look is great
Very nice portrait mode in iPad mini

However some remarks:

• white screen when app goes in idle mode in iOS is annoying
  • the app seems to be slower than 1.7: slower in scrolling the screen, slower in fetching info on the overview page of an artist
  • I regret that the bookmark shortcut disappeared from the main screen in mobile app (not in iPad, PC) - now you have to open the side menu to find the bookmark pin on top - it is less comfortable

Yep jerky scrolling if moved at a fair pace on my iPad Pro 12.9 (3rd Gen)

2 Likes

Was the previous horizontal scrolling better?

What happened to the suggested albums area that was on the right of the track listing?

9 Likes

I havenā€™t updated my core yet, although now am sort of forced to after installing the 1.8 IOS app which has rendered my iPhone useless as a remote with 1.7 and was not mentioned in the release notes. But to the pointā€¦ Is there really no way at all to maintain a dark or black user interface? No dark mode option? Itā€™s white and thatā€™s it? Most apps give you the choice these days, at least on Macā€¦

Discography really needs a not-in-my-library switch.
On artists with a lot of albums in 1.7 it was to find the one or two albums on Tidal and not in my library. With 1.8. it is nearly impossible to do that.

6 Likes

yes, it was

3 Likes

Absolutely agree. This is an important regression that Iā€™d hope is addressed quickly

4 Likes

This comment also worries me immensely.

Surely, most people who use Roon will use it with a desktop or tablet app rather than a phone app. So much of the visual impact of Roon is lost on a device as small as a phone. Surely the desktop view should not be compromised by the mobile phone view. It makes no sense whatsoever!

6 Likes

Dark mode is there. Change at Setup>Theme

1 Like

I was using a Kindle Fire to have a full-featured remote because my iPad died.

The Kindle Fire now has the features of my iPhone, which does not allow for any editing. Need to use a laptop now for any type of editing or library management.

Bookmarks is more difficult to access on the iPhone app

Scrolling through covers in Tags or Bookmarks is jumpy. And if you click on a title and click the back button, it seems to take you to an arbitrary place in the list. You need to rescroll to get to where you were. Not convenient.

Of course. It runs Maya, Nuke, 3DS, Zbrush, HZD and Control, all MS and Adobe software like a charm and only Roon looks like a browser on a slow connectionā€¦

happy here

1 Like

I updated my iOS and Android devices. Now each device is looking for my Roon Core (which is ROCK). Not finding it. What can I do?

Anyone else having the feeling that the sound quality has changed? Was there any changes to RAAT or something that could achieve this? To me it sounds more detailed and crisp now and the overall sound is somehow a little louder. I donā€™t have any DSP or volume levelling activated.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Settings not displaying properly or crashing on 1.8 [Ticket in - Workaround in thread]

@Occamsrazor On your iPhone select the three lines top left, then scroll down and select settings, then at the top of the screen select setup, then select Theme then select dark. Same process on a Mac just select settings from the menu on the left.
I would take time to explore and live with it and get used to it.

This. And the star rating is no longer on the main album page.

9 Likes