Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

There are a non-trivial number of large classical box sets. You must have missed them. As CD declines they have been quite popular. Usually associated with composers - eg Beethoven Edition, Mozart 225, Bach etc. - and artists near or at the end of their careers - Brendel, Abbado etc. There’s no good reason for arbitrary restrictions in decent software, so a 200 disc boxed set should be handled no worse than a two disc boxed set.

1 Like

Is focus essentially a duplicate of the existing filters in the composition view? The value add with focus in that context seems to be storage location but I can’t see that is very meaningful. Maybe I am missing something? Focus in the composition view works differently to Focus on the album view as well. It is a pop up vertically scrolling pane whereas in album view it is a fixed horizontally scrolling virtual pane. Why the different behaviours? I thought 1.8 was meant to be consistent with the scrolling.

Performance: Tag filtering is sluggish. There’s no pagination like the previous version. For example, I have one tag with 1001 albums and it loads as infinite scroll. It’s just slow and frustrating.

UI: the light style is too white and the dark mode is too black. Lack of contrast. Hard to read. Unbalanced.

Sorry, but I wish I could rollback.

4 Likes

Had to re-boot a few times to get this behaviour. I see now the problem is the missing OR behaviour, not AND.

Hey, what happened to the ability to find MQA-encoded files in Focus?

Are they now just lumped in with all the FLACs? I hope this regression will be fixed.

EDIT: @philr and @Rockhound have pointed out that it’s still possible to find MQA-encoded albums using Focus, but the MQA characteristic in Focus has been exiled from the FORMAT category where we’re used to seeing it, and now shows up… wait for it… stashed under “OTHER”, which I’m currently finding way off eleven columns to the right of FORMAT.

Did MQA do something really rude at the Roon holiday party?

3 Likes

I see what you mean now. Had to re-boot a few times.

What are you using for your Roon client? With anything that has a keyboard you can just start typing in the letters and it will take you there.

1 Like

when I am in a playlist and I click on an artist for one of the songs to see other music by that artist, it takes forever for the bottom of the page to load. Anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds. The previous version was instantaneous. Hopefully this is just a cacheing issue and can be fixed with an update.

1 Like

OMG yes please…I want to see the ratings in the artist page so I can decide what to listen to. hiding it over on the right on the album page is pointless.

6 Likes

Give it some time. It can have various reasons. For one, the Roon servers are overheated at the moment. So far with every new releas it started with slow performance which might be caused by a background database scan/rebuild/server overload. If it is still slow in two days from now it’s time to get woried about it.

1 Like

Most annoying thing about Roon 1.7?
Only 15 albums visible on a 9.7” iPad screen at one time with no way to customise.

Roon 1.8? I can now see 10

Great work guys🙄

12 Likes

For some reason it’s now under the other category in focus and not format

1 Like

It’s been 15 years, so maybe they’re a little more common now (no, I didn’t “miss them”), but “extremely common” is like a 5 disc set. 20+ disc sets are not, and have never been “extremely common”.

After a couple of hours with 1.8, I’m ready to go back to the old version. Why did you remove the ability to see the resolution on albums. Browning albums now, I have to open it so see the bitrate.

3 Likes

OH i see it now. When the currently played album completes and it goes to roon radio.

And then it says there is noting to play that is similar.

In some cases it does play my library.

That’s a big worry of mine with native iPhone/iPad app support on the new M1 Macs (that native Mac apps could be discontinued in favor of telling people to use the iOS versions), and iOS-inspired UI changes being my biggest complaints with Big Sur.

You can this in Settings > Customize Album Display – lots of options in there for seeing the information you want.

I believe there are a number of features that are normally cached. If you happen to be the first person looking for the discography of a particular artist, for example, it might take a while to load it the first time. But once that has been done, other users should find that cached information load almost immediately.
After the Roon user base has pounded on this for a while, that sort of lag should diminish.

installed without any problems. bravo to all those who worked on this new version. I especially like Focus
Thanks

Focus > Other > MQA

1 Like