Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

Can’t seem to change the icon on my non-Roon Ready zone.

Good riddance, the paged side scrolling is now history, thanks God, it is no more.
I can’t say enough that I loathe this feature that much.

2 Likes

Collaborations and Performing The Music Of are missing from Home Screen and artists page for me. They appeared initially but are gone now. Have restarted everything.

Very very slow loading of artist bio or discography - over a minute to load.

Every concern and problem noted here would be highly irritating to me. I am glad I checked the forum before updating. This is just a disaster. Roon already had too much white space and now it’s even worse. And track numbers are missing from playlists? And moving multiple files in the queue is still not possible? And what happened the Qobuz logo by the “Versions”?

I can hardly number the awful decisions here.

1. Discover is now buried and hard to access?
  2. Search no longer appears in the middle of the screen?
  3. The app is now built for a phone and doesn’t scale on a laptop or larger computer screen???
  4. The “Queue” button is now mixed together with the playback controls? This insane. The transport buttons (back, play/pause, forward) should be separated from other buttons unrelated to track plaback.
  5. Why is the waveform short and hard to see now?? That also makes no sense.
  6. Where is “Focus on Similar”?? That is a critical feature. It needs a dedicted button like it has in 1.7
  7. Where are the dates recorded, released, and added?? Now there’s just one ambiguous date.
  8. Discs is just a drop down menu? I want to see Disc 1, Disc 2, Disc 3, etc. Now I need to go into a menu for something that was one click previously?

Enough. This is a trainwreck.

22 Likes

Sad to hear the suggestions to the right are gone. I also used it frequently to find new albums. :slightly_frowning_face:

13 Likes

Right, and of course this affects Bookmarks that were combinations of albums with different self-defined tags. Now, each album needs to be assigned all of the relevant tags to show up in the Bookmark (or to be assigned a new tag).

Sorry to hear it. My S6 survived. You’ll get it back…

One major UI issue with searching/adding tracks to a playlist. The input box for searching for playlists does not move with the dialog, and creates a floating field. (edit: Mac OS Big Sur 11.2)

WRT how I feel about the release, the new UI is much nicer, I very much appreciate the typography and design refinement. Looks much more like “quality”.

My big test of the new classical organization I think is my Mozart 225 comp, which is 200 discs. Navigation of it in album view is much slower than before (and it was already slow!). I did look a bit into perusing the composer compositions via k number and this time and this seems to be a bit better and faster.

Server hung on playback of one of Mercury Rev’s Very Sleepy River 4 second tracks. Might be an issue with short tracks in general? (Edit: Roon Core is on Mac OS Catalina 10.5.7)

Anyways, seems like a bit of a rough start, but promising. That said, there’s some crazy annoying UI/UX pain points that disappointed me when I discovered that they weren’t addressed:

• Re-ordering of tracks when identifying an album (with up/down arrow buttons still (!!!) and no drag/drop)
  • Being able to heart/cancel/undo via a selection instead of one track at a time
  • Album list view (one of my biggest gripes); more feasible now with vert scrolling though!

One of these years I hope you guys eventually flesh out the focus/filters more. I would love have these options to build dynamic playlists and sort:

• Song length (I love randomly listening to my entire library’s songs that are say 50 seconds to 70 seconds in length)
  • Filter on half star ratings (you give us the option of 9 steps, half star to five, but we can only filter half those steps.
  • Sort albums by rating

All that said, Roon’s automated curation has been worth the subscription alone, my library’s metadata is in an infinitely better state post-Roon and being able to navigate it is straight forward and the sound quality is top notch (big issue with Plex, among many other things, when I was shopping for a solution a few years ago).

Keep up the good work and hopefully you guys can spend a good amount of time adding small UI/UX power features over the next few years and build on top of this lovely update moving forward. I understand the killer feature, the automated curation, and how its presented is a huge investment, but tbh Roon is still, after this update, behind so many other music library apps in navigation, filtering, sorting and playlist management.

4 Likes

Why do the tracks in 1.8 no longer display the info of what playlist they are in. It used to show up, including if was in multiple playlists??? I am missing a new setting?

Also, the display to my Chromecast is working, then hanging up and then acting crazy with artist picture not pulling, just a blurred out background.

Lifetime subscriber, feeling a bit frustrated but hoping these things get resolved. Thank you

13 Likes

Absolutely another huge mistake. When I am hunting for new music, I use the album ratings. The way it is now the album ratings are pretty much useless.

Who beta tested this release??

19 Likes

Whatever, boxed sets are common enough for Gramophone magazine to have a monthly page or more dedicated to them called “Boxed Set Roundup”. Haven’t got any myself as I got into streaming early, and I preferred to pick my cds individually but they have been a great way for some classical music lovers to build large collections, especially those who like to complete a collection. Not uncommon in jazz either. Great value, a quid or two a cd meant you didn’t need to listen to half of the set. Can’t see why folk with them need to suffer getting them into Roon sensibly.

2 Likes

I run ROON Server on Linux, I never had this issue before but now I do. With 1.8, if I go to Audio settings, and select buffer, change from “Default” to say 50ms, the handshake between my Lampi (Amanero soundcard) and my ROON Server loses handshake, I try to refresh, no luck, disable and re-enable, no luck, remove USB cable, plug it back into the DAC, restart Audio Device, no luck. I restart the Linux server, refresh the Audio Device (DAC), it’s back. Now I put my DAC on standby, turn DAC back on, same issue occurs, I have to reboot the server, reload the Audio Device, and its back on again. I never had to reboot my server before. How does one get around this?

Right click (long press) the Zone at the bottom right of the screen and select Zone Settings. You should be able to “edit zone icon”.

Do you not see it?

Hi all,

Happy to share my first impressions with 1.8.

I like new home screen with stats what I have been listening to. I don’t find it useful in terms of navigation (which already is great) but it is a nice addition. I truly love new focus. I always didn’t like not being able to separate CD RIPs from downloaded soundtracks and miscellaneous stuff downloaded from YT. Finally I can separate them by putting them in different folders. Selected folders stay visible even when focus is collapsed so albums view filtering is possible all the time. Brilliant! Really well thought. Big thanks for new focus.

I don’t really like new purple colour in dark mode. Totally subjective nut I don’t like it. Tags are now not well separated form genres in Album view. In 1.7 labels with different shape and different colour were more distinctive.

New UI design is ok. Some things were moves so I need to get used to. But I think having zones next to playback controls is more logical.

I am still missing being able to sort playlist by title/artist in mobile app. It is possible in desktop.

All in all, I still love Roon. :musical_note:

1 Like

Really overhyped layout changes, just a lot of whitespace. I am at a loss for all of you that find it “better”. Anyway, more specific issues:

1. We no longer have Discover menu item underneath Browse. Please add it back. Thanks.
  2. Credits for albums are not easier to read. Now they are just a bunch of bubbles with faces or initials, and seem to go on forever.
  3. What happend to the multiple versions annotations on albums? Please add it back.
  4. The choice of “headline” font is rather odd, and IMHO, unpleasant.
  5. Thank you for removing those pretentious quotes at startup!

And no thanks for not adding the ability to add my own reviews, bios, links, no Bandcamp integration, etc. Just a front end for Tidal and Qobuz, but I suppose that’s where the revenue will be.

9 Likes

Ahh! Now I see it.

Still less useful/usable than before – because I could swear it used to break the MQA category out further by MQA-encoded sample rate – but at least this is workable.

And I do see the rationale, since the base file format for all the MQA files is something else (usually FLAC, although I assume technically MQA could also be stored in one of the uncompressed PCM formats like AIFF or WAV, or even stuffed into an ALAC file), MQA being signaling embedded in some PCM bitstream.

1 Like

I am truly very concerned about this too.

9 Likes

I didn’t say box sets in general. I was talking about 100 disc box sets. It helps if you go back and read through the all the comments in the thread.

Pros

• the ui, very nice and clean!
  • Finaly vertical scrolling

Cons

• i hoped that tidal artist top tracks would be visible in the android phone app, just like the iPad app. Instead it disappeared completely ( also gone on the iPad app, why?!)
  • personaly i dont like the new serif font
2 Likes

Ugh, something else that I use all the time eliminated.

I’m not looking forward to updating (I haven’t yet. Wanted to see what widespread bugs popped up first before updating).