Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

Yes, strange. My genre hierarchy works now, which it didn’t 100% in 1.7 so its nice to be able to drill down with AND’s I could not before. But strange the OR’s have been lost.

“Unexpected Error: Limiting Roon Radio to Library” when using Roon Radio.

Album arts become too large. Seeing too few items on screen. Core no longer sees any Airplay or Chromecast devices.

1 Like

I question the value of this feature. It’s like screen time from Apple. Does Roon want us to use Roon less?

4 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: What Happened to Editorial Ratings in Roon 1.8?!

Mine says 198 h 26m. I clearly need a life.

1 Like

For those upset about Discover losing prominence, there is a fix! Go to the Discover screen once and add a bookmark. Now it is in your bookmarks for easy and quick access. I also added bookmarks for pulling up only my local library, only my Tidal library, and only my Qobuz. Not sure how much I will use the latter two, but I will definitely access Discover and my local library this way.

I think the interface is an improvement and is certainly more modern and overall makes a lot of sense. On an album screen for example it is great to be able to see basically all information about an album without having to click around to se credits, tracks, etc. In different places.

First impressions very good on my end.

4 Likes

I agree this is of limited value to me.
I know what ive been listening to and for how long - I was there and i can remember.

2 Likes

@Stephen_Lee1 I have just one Chromecast that we use for an old radio out in the garage. I just checked and it’s working fine. You might need to power cycle it.

Good luck!

Updated at 10:30AM, first iphone, then nucleus and core. while core updating received notice that Mac wanted to update Big Sur to 11.2.1. Let Roon update and before I took a look, updated the Mac OS which took another hour or so. In general, the update went well with nucleus finishing before the core. First impressions, I lost about 1700 CDs-just vanished. So I removed all the file references and reinput them, Discs magically reappeared and I motored on. Cannot give a detailed review YET but a few thoughts. My library is almost exclusively classical so I am expecting great things but I also believe in Murphy’s Law. While browsing the generic artist page in the jazz section for no particular reason, I came across a picture of JASCHA HEIFETZ complete with a few of his recordings which were not jazz by any stretch of the imagination. I left it alone hoping that the next time I searched the gods would put Mr. Heifetz back where he belongs.
In general I like the display although I will have to give the top to bottom scrolling a little more time to become used to it. I am sure there is more but I will use my time to point out something that needs to be said. Roon tries hard but it is hampered in achieving its goals by the cliche ‘garbage in, garbage out’. Most if not all of the errors in classical music cataloging result from poor and inconsistent metadata. If you do not enter Franz Josef Haydn always as Franz Josef Haydn but rather Josef Haydn or Joseph Haydn or Haydn, Joseph you will get four different entries and four different search results. Compound that with the many variations of composer and artist name(Evgeny Mravinsky, Yevgeny Mravinsky, Mravinsky) as an example and no amount of Roon polishing will clean it up. I could start from scratch(again!!!) but I am too old and tired to accomplish that level of correction before I die. For instance, I deleted at least 8 recordings before it would require too much effort to clean them up(Japanese untranslated liner notes and unknown conductor). I still have discs to catalog including 3 box sets(30 discs) that have no metadata. I may input them just to push your system to see what will happen. More later. It’s time to watch “A Good Supper” Inside joke.

Post the new build download I’m having issues with Roon connecting to my NAS. Says there is a connection error. Verified it isn’t the NAS by accessing via my media streamer… a little frustrating to say the least.

Anyone else having this issue?

I’m right behind you. What else are we going to do these days? :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s pretty brutal on my 12.9" iPad in dark mode. I’ve switched to light mode which seems to stop it happening. It seems like the app is attempting to display in dark mode but transitioning through light mode first.

Yes same issue. Roon Radio seems to be limited to the library… it was working fine before the update.

I posted earlier with feedback items, I am adding to the list in an attempt to keep them together for continuity:

Feedback on Day 1:

1. I’d like to see “Add to tag” added in-line with the current Tags. There’s no need to go up to the three dots and select “Add to tag”
  2. Is it me or is the Font a bit small? Especially when viewing Tracks and data associated with a Track such as “Performed by”, “Composed by”, “Lyrics by”, etc…
  3. Recent listening: It would be great to see the date ranges to the left of the bar graphs vs the need to hover over the bars to see the date ranges. There seems to be room to do this on a Windows PC display, perhaps it will be a challenge on smaller displays.
  4. There’s a mix of Serif and San-Serif fonts. It’s really obvious when looking at the Queue, especially when Roon Radio is running. I know this is nitpicking, but it strikes me as odd. Maybe it’s all those years of corporate powerpoint presentations. To me it looks like a mistake.

That said, overall I really like the upgrade.

1 Like

Anyone know what the checkmarks next to certain tracks means?:

1 Like

@Poseidon - Radio is working as expected for me. I am currently using it. with a dozen or so tracks that I “Thumbs upped”.

Good luck!

Hmmmm…maybe it was just a hiccup but it suddenly started working. I’ll keep an eye on it and report back if it inconveniently happens again.

I’m suspecting that the Roon servers are getting hit hard with updates and requests and if Roon Radio requires speedy responses from these servers then this could be an intermittent problem until things settle down.

1 Like

Although I am new to Roon (Couple of months in now) I absolutely love the new update. The Roon experience is awesome, I have discovered so many new artists, albums, and genres I didn’t think I would ever list to because of it. The new update has already taken this to another level! All install went smoothly, Core on Windows 10 mini PC, Ipad and Galaxy Tab for remotes, Mac mini as a Roon server. No problems here, It even retained the fact that I was in dark mode.

Thanks for this update, and I hope everyone gets their issues sorted! Cheers

4 Likes

I like it, would prefer to have the discover feature (also) at its old place, however. I suggest to have it at both places.

One bug I noted: I added a Tidal album to the library by mistake, and deleted it again. This had indeed the effect that it was removed from the Tidal favorites apparently. However, in the home screen it is still considered to be added to the library, and you can’t re-add to the library if you wished.

1 Like