Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

I have a Mac and this happens when I click on Albums after viewing an album. However, the back button takes me back to the same position in my Albums page.

The update to your iPad should not have changed Dark mode to Light.
Anyway, Settings > Setup > Theme.

Wow! Itā€™s so fast. Worth it for that alone.

Itā€™s also just so pretty. Very nice work on the visual design. A great foundation on which to build the next Roon generation!

Itā€™s now at the bottom of albums surrounded in a pink/salmon color. Please roon let us pick the highlight colors!

Agree on having the horizonal scrolling back, album icons are too big, spectrum bar is too small, just like v1.7 is fine.

2 Likes

Unable stream to hqplayer :woozy_face:

I feel like a perverted senator, I miss the horizontal pages

6 Likes

Urgent update: Iā€™m listening to music using Roon. Yes, Roon 1.8. With no problems whatsoever. Just like all the previous versions. And all the new stuff is quite nice.

I canā€™t believe Iā€™m saying this after such a cataclysmic day, but Iā€™m going to continue to pay for Roon. Because it works. And, itā€™s good.

8 Likes

Come back to the What Are We Listening Thread then, itā€™s lonely :wink:

1 Like

:rofl: I just did!

2 Likes

What an excellent update.

Oh itā€™s awful in many ways, donā€™t get me wrong. Itā€™s missing the mark in lots of areas, with many strange decisions by the Roon team. Good features removed it seems or buried deeper, many old issues still not addressed, yet with some really neat new stuff in the mix too. Lots to love, and lots to not.

I have a strong image of

However, all of that misses the point, for me anyway.

After many years, Roonā€™s finally moving forward. This is really brilliant.

Well done guys! Letā€™s hope the refinements and additions come thick and fast now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow, I remember the excitement re Roon 1.2 and here we are at 1.8 !1

It has a nice clean appearance and focus has been made far more useful and effective.

We have come a long long way since the Edison cylinders (yes Iā€™m old enough and used them in my youth), shellac, LP, CD, ā€¦ to hi-Rez and PC storage. Meridian led the way for some time but Roon now leads the field as far as Iā€™m concerned.

Time will tell if anything about 1.8 is deficient but this is a quick note to register my initial positive response. Well done and thanks to all those responsible.

2 Likes

A what exactly is focus? How can I get the best out of rooms discovery of similar tracks?

My initial reaction to the new layouts is: who designed this - a childrens book writer?Too much lost real estate on screens, too much crowding on iPhone app, text too light, mouse hover gives zero information, missing functions, scrambled feel on queue screen - any chance those who preferred the old layout can go back to that text/font set while maintaining the new features? Assuming I can find them?
All initial reactions, still have to work with it a bit, but after install (no issues there) my existing queue was, well - meh! Who picks these colors? Why such a big band of ā€œBLUEā€ on the home page? And why a 3/4" tall, full horizontal bar for Roon Radio, for a grand total of 10 words and slide control?
And the disparate font sizes - Roon Radio looks like 16 or 18 font, while the ā€˜automatically pickā€¦ā€™ font looks like 6. And so light and dull, almost looks faded. Why canā€™t the text be crisp - like it was before.
First impression? Whatever.

8 Likes

Hmmm, on my iPhone 6s, 1.8 looks better than on my iPad (7th Gen). I guess the new look is better suited for small screens?

At least for now, app performance is much zippier. Weā€™ll see if it stays that way.

On iPad it crashes when clicking Settings

That info shows on some screens, but not others. For example, format info doesnā€™t show on the Home screen, but does show on the Album screen.

Full wave form was really greatā€¦ if we can get it back, nothing like it. I have been playing for last 2-3 hours and I feel a slight change in sound quality, it is even more smooth with right warmthā€¦ is it me alone ?. Havenā€™t changed any settings. I love it and great UI as wellā€¦ Thanks

Appreciate all of the hard work that went into Roon 1.8.

Two feature requests:

1. Would like to be able to filter discography to include only recordings of a minimum (selectable) bit depth/sample rate. Alternatively, it would be great if the discography album thumbnails showed this information. Similarly, when browsing in Qobuz or Tidal it would be great if high res albums could be called out somehow.

2. Would love to see record labels included as a Focus category.

Thanks.

Update across Desktop (Core) and iPAD/iPHONE was a breeze ā€¦ absolute no hiccups of any kind. All endpoints are in placeā€¦

Thanksā€¦ Merci Danke :grinning: :grinning: