Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

In the Artist page are visible only albums and singles in your library but nothing more like Compilations and compositions. They are in the discography with the rest and you can find only by the library icon.
To find new albums have to check everything with no library icon because filter on the top is showing what have, exactly same list like in the artist page :rofl:

1 Like

Yes I agree with this complaint. The tags feature is now more buried and not as easy to use. Tagging new albums with up to 4 tags requires 4 window actions instead on being able to do it all on the one sub window.

2 Likes

Thanks, I receive the weekly ā€žRoon Labs Communityā€œ newsletter where they present some interesting Threads in the forum, but thatā€™s all.
However back in 2019 Iā€˜ve got the 1.7 new Valence newsletter, I did not unsubscribeā€¦ not a big deal, just a bit quaint.

Okā€¦ I maybe going blind here but how do you remove a tag now from an album?!?

I have a Tag setup up for new albums to listen to and once I have, I remove them from this group and either move them to a finished Tag or delete them from libraryā€¦ for the life of me I canā€™t find a way to remove a Tag :thinking:

2 Likes

Go to the tag, select the album and then Remove from tag.

1 Like

Like this you mean?

51 Likes

Not sure if anyoneā€™s mentioned it yet but itā€™s pleasing to see the old contentious ā€œCDā€ album labels replaced by ā€œFLAC 16/44ā€.

9 Likes

How can I see the playlists that tracks have been added to in the album view?

This is critical for me as i do most of my listening via Playlists and if I cannot see this then iā€™ll just end up adding the same songs to playlists over and over again.

There is a setting I hope???

2 Likes

Thanksā€¦ that sorted it out for now but hellā€¦ thatā€™s made the process very long winded. Before I just pressed Tag while in the album and unselect it. Now You have to leave the album, then scroll through XXX of albums, select it, click on a menu, then click on remove. Nowt like making life harder :rofl:

1 Like

I basically like this release in many ways, but I do have a bit of feedback about the search facility, which still seems to be lacking, at least for Tidal searches -

E.g. was trying to find Sacha Distel ā€˜Toute la Pluie Tombe Sur Moiā€™ (on Tidal, I donā€™t have this in my local library)

Searched for ā€œSacha Distel pluieā€ - this brought up an odd ā€˜various artistsā€™ single of some sort and a track from a tribute album on the top results/albums/top tracks

Then Searched for the whole title ā€œsacha distel toute la pluie tombe sur moiā€ which brought up the same, plus some extra tracks from tribute albums.

Tidalā€™s own app with the same search does bring up the tribute albums, but also brings up SDā€™s own albums, including the original release and a later albums.

Then I tried a manual browse through his Artist page on Roon. The track didnā€™t appear under popular tracks here at all, but is 3rd most popular track on Tidalā€™s own artist page for SD.

Tried Focus to help narrow down at least albums he was a performer on. This produced 19 albums, none of which were the right one (on which he is the main performer) and by the way were far from all the albums he is a main performer on.

At this point I gave up and simply entered the actual album name which Iā€™d found in a few seconds on Tidal from SDā€™s Artist page thereā€¦

My thought is that 1.8 seems to have added more great ā€œrichā€ features, which donā€™t get me wrong are excellent, and all the Valence stuff, etc., but struggled to find a poplular track, especially the original recording by the artist you search forā€¦ To me thatā€™s disappointing.

This is nothing new per-se, Iā€™ve often struggled to find such things in Roon, but it appears 1.8 is no better in this regard and is sometimes worse than Tidalā€™s own catalogue/search. Iā€™d love this kind of basic stuff to be worked on and improved and not just new features added leaving this functionality overlooked.

2 Likes

Yeah. The previous version had the option for file quality and MQA flag as a badge.

Itā€™s at the extreme right side of the screen. It isnā€™t on by default, so you wonā€™t see it normally. On a laptop it will show up when you start to move the cursor across the album/artist field. On my Samsung S8 it shows up when you start to scroll down the screen. Since this phone has a bezeled (curved) edge, its just a bit fiddly to grab on to.

I really like the UI of v1.8, I like the space, itā€™s super informative. I prefer using the iPad as the remote over my phone with the new version. Overall - Great, thanks Roon Labs!

3 Likes

It is nice how tidal shows the search broken down a bit into Tracks, albums, Artists, playlists with hot links in the drop down windowā€¦ before you even click return. They even utilize the square and round pictures for artists and albums.

Perhaps someone from roon should look at how tidal formats and presents their search results in the drop down windowā€¦

1. Fixed) Slow to boot. Slow to load.
    I see improvement in this after the patch which was launched soon after the update. This was due to high Roon server load perhaps (see update).

<2> Can only play / shuffle max 5000 songs at once? Thatā€™s too less / limiting considering my library.

<3> Tags gone wrong. This used to work earlier.

1. Fixed) No stars shown on albums which was very helpful to know / locate high starred album (see update).

2. Fixed) Earlier, selected albums when adding to tag could be confirmed via a check or square if the album/s are already present in the tag or not. This feature is also no more. RIP! (see update)ā€¦

Update:
    Fixed the boot and loading times issue (1)
    (This seem to have improved quite a bit and I donā€™t see this as a problem anymore. Hence I would say that this issue is fixed.)
    Fixed the stars (4)
    Fixed the tag check boxes (5)

7 Likes

Where is shuffle?

Yes, but at night! Iā€™m using Dark Modeā€¦ :joy:

2 Likes

Your screen shot looks good. I get why this appeals. But if you want to customise or edit content or access many other roon functions you may prefer a lap top or other device. Iā€™ve never used roon on a phone for example although I did try and set it up on 1.7 and lower versions for my wife. She hated it and I gave up. Might be worth another try with 1.8. For many of those users not using a phone as their primary device 1.8 it is a very different experience. Maybe it is these different use case which appear not to have been beta-tested properly that is leading to such levels of polarization. I cannot remember anything like this since Windows 8 which made the same mistake of being half in/half out with fixed/touch screens and never really satisfied anyone.

I think it is these different use cases which appear not to have been beta-tested broadly enough is the reason we are seeing so much polarization. Itā€™s quite unusual to get such a love it / hate it response like this. Windows 8 comes to mind.

Just got an update, for me the problems in Windows are solved !!!