Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

As in life not all is perfect and I have mixed feelings about the new Roon.

I really like the artist page and all the infos and connetcions it gives me - all bundled the way it is now. Especially on my iPad, which now also has portrait view (great) . Holding Roon in my hands that is when this new magazine style makes most sense. This is fun with artists I do not know well and getting me to know new stuff. As I stated before - I really do not like the new Credits and would love an option to view it the old way. It simply does not work, when you mostly have grey dots.
1.8 also seems to be a lot faster now. Actions are almost immediate, definitely was not that way on my 1.7 setup. Would I like less unused space? Definitely - but I hope the finetuning has already begun.

1 Like

Just an example. Not made by experts. However, sounds really good.

1 Like

Same here. Will this be solved or is this a deliberate action?

The only thing consistent isā€¦

Yes, and that should be active by default. but of course is notā€¦

Two finger tap on a track (or any tap) doesnā€™t bring up the option to ā€œPlay From Hereā€ in the Mac Roon app song queue.

Editā€¦ scrap thatā€¦ Iā€™ve found it was a fault with the user! Iā€™ll report them to the better half for an update!

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d totally agree with that but can completely understand why you would like that behaviour.

It may be best for it to either remember what was done last or have it as an option, then everyone is happy!

Remember last position would be just as fine. Always defaulting to ā€œnot activeā€ is no good.

3 Likes

This my sound silly but what ifā€¦

• Roon created another app whose primary goal is too navigate and listen to the music already in/added to the library.

After all, the apps are just an interpretation or presentation of the database that the roon server has created on our hard drives. Similar to like what Plex did, Plex has all the bells and whistles and Plex Amp focuses just on listening to music.

2 Likes

no, that wont happen and would just distract resources.

1 Like

I would add no file format on New Releases for you. Thatā€™s gone and now you can only see file format on albums on your library.

Itā€™s was a big what if.

Well, weā€™ll have to buy whoever made Plex connect addon for kodi a membership and have them make a Roon connect addon. Lol.

For me, the major annoyances are in the UI/UX area:

• too much negative space (I am listening on headphones in front of a 4K screen)
  • main content is centered, but some elements are pushed to the border (search). There is a lot of empty space in between.
  • A lot of ā€œShow Moreā€ or ā€œMoreā€ buttons with so much empty space
  • Animations (or lack of them). We need fast and fluid scroll.
  • Header position change between pages
  • Statistics - for me they are useless, I want to focus on te music, Please add an option to remove them.
  • inconsistent artist page - sometimes the same artist is displayed in a circe, and sometimes a rectangle.
7 Likes

My first impression 3 days ago of 1.8 was not so good, but with that time now elapsed I am slightly more positive. I will be converting to a lifetime subscription as thereā€™s still nothing out there that even comes close to what Roon offers

6 Likes

Swipe up and down to scroll on iPad Pro does not work

Totally agree with most your comments: On the ā€žcircleā€œ vs ā€žrectangleā€œ;

The preview is circle. If you open an artist and his picture resolution is high enough, it spreads accross the top part of the screen, which I think is perfect and just as it was before in 1.7.

If the resolution is too small, it will just show a circle. I am always ā€žhuntingā€œ for high enough resolution pictures, so I get those nicely spread out over the top.

NB: All this ā€žStatisticā€œ, ā€žPopularā€œ and ā€žTop Performerā€œ stuff is indeed a major annoyance / waste of space and the user should get the choice to kill it / switch it of.

1 Like

Have you rebooted your I pad, I use a pro and everything just worksā€¦

How do get to see that graph? Itā€™s not something Iā€™ve ever used but seen it here a few times

Cheers

Thatā€™s in Focusā€¦ to select years.

1 Like

1 Like