Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

Roon 1.8.00756 as UI controller on Mac

Oberservation

Of all the main menu views the Playlist view is the only view in which the blank space on the left and on the right is not sensitive to mouse scrolling. All other views you can scroll via swiping on your apple mouse. But in the Playlist view you need to have the cursor on the actual playlist listing to be able to scroll.

1 Like

We should be given a path back to 1.7 until this mess is cleaned up. I was very happy with 1.7 and everything just worked. Now I keep losing my audio devices and other useful features are just missing.

2 Likes

Roon 1.8 is mostly good, but for one major bug on my system. ROCK running on a NUC, wifi connection to 3 ropiee’s, each connected to Schitt DACs. Sometimes, one or more of the audio zones does not show up in the selection drop-down on iPhone or PC, despite being present and highlighted in the Audio Settings screen. Oddly, I can group the zone I cannot select individually, and then music will play through that zone. If I ungroup, the zone choice disappears from the drop down, but still shows as present in the Audio Settings. If I reboot the NUC, everything works fine. I cannot determine what causes the zone to get dropped. Neither restarting the DAC nor the Raspberry Pi causes the issue.

This is a huge headache that began with 1.8 and needs to be fixed, as I need to reboot the NUC every day.

Yes, I’m using an iPhone X and a Dell/Windows laptop with a 17" 4K screen, no problems at all. But then, I was probably lucky, seeing some of the screenshots in this thread … :wink:

They did not change anything with device connections- have you opened a support thread?

What useful features are missing for you?

I don’t think that “my” problem is the most important of all - it’s just one under plenty of others, and it’s Roon’s job to make a priorization. It was just a reply to other users with the same problem who tried to find workarounds.

That’s funny cause I now see multiple reports of the Roon core losing connections.

I have lost connections too and have had to restart the core. Sometimes I will lose a connection and to an endpoint, which is still playing. I can switch songs, but not pause or stop playback. Had to restart the core to do that. After restart, all the endpoints reappear.

1 Like

Installed perfectly for me, no issues at all, I like the new interface (once I found the queue button.) Thank you.

2 Likes

The old “choose a range of years” interface still exists, now under “view more” beneath the decades selector. But I completely agree with you about the need to fix the 5000 track limit problem (which I believe Roon has said is a bug to be fixed).

2 Likes

The meta data for lyrics may or may not have timing. There is no change to how Roon works for this. If you are on a song that has automatic scrolling, the little symbol changes from a microphone to a microphone and a clock.

1 Like

Bootlegs: please display as a category in “more from my library” on the artist page.

I like how 1.8 separates out bootlegs from the main albums on the artist page, but there should be a “bootlegs” category alongside “singles/EPs” and “appearances” in the “More from my Library” bar.

Otherwise, it seems pretty hard to see whether I have bootlegs in my library for any particular artist. I have to go to the full discography page, then use Focus to see bootlegs. That’s a lot, just to see what’s in my own library.

Essentially, I’m suggesting that the “my library” elements of the Artist page should give me hints about all the albums in my library, rather than showing some categories, but hiding others altogether.

no one facing the same as mine?

iMac 2020 controller.

You mean no MAC end points to play? Yes I have same on PC. During playback suddenly stopped and removed all PC endpoints. Reboot of Nucleus and PC did not helped. This is old Dell PC but had no problems with 1.7. Interesting, with second, newer Dell is no problem at all.

I restarted Roon Sever Software then it back to normal now.

1 Like

I don’t see even in Audio settings. Audio Drivers actual…

1 Like

Still no ability to access Roon remotely and still no integration back to Alexa.

This continual change to the UI is tiring.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, that “View more” does not exist in my Roon Remote for Android, in either portrait or landscape view, not under My Tracks focus and not under My Albums focus. There is only the decades, period. Some of the other focus criteria do have that, but not the release date.

Although I can’t name an instance of it, I’ve seen a “View more” option that did not view more. So there’s that, or not. :slight_smile:

–Arto

1 Like

I didn’t but I wasn’t there to start a war about features. I’m new here and wanted to share my opinion. I do understand that for crazy technical users of roon, it must be a completely different experience. But reading that I’m not the only one to discover pre-existing features, I would say that at the end 1.8 is a win for a lot of users and yes, for people who don’t listen classical music all the time. Knowing that those features are there will probably change my listening habits since I like classical music but don’t know anything about it and found it really hard to know where to start, who to listen and which version among thousand to give a try. Thanks for your message :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, it seem to be the case, It helped me (see my previous message)!

And yes I do understand that pro users and hungry classical listener are seeing things differently. :wink: