Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

I agree agree with your complaints. Especially the shrunken waveform, phooey!

2 Likes

But I really like that the library shows up to be easily searched! Great.

Post removed, as i fixed the issue.

Iā€™m a pretty simple user with few 1.8 issues. This didnā€™t affect me, Iā€™m donā€™t use ZFS, but it feels like a pretty big testing miss. Setting up a few common OS and file system combinations to test is pretty trivial, most could be virtual rigs. Thereā€™s another long standing bug with special characters on certain file systems. Roonā€™s essentially an IT product, these feel like automated testing basics. Difficult to see how some of these reached beta, let alone full release.

Still, I do quite like 1.8, big wasted screen spaces and unrepentantly rubbish search aside.

Given Roonā€™s documented antipathy toward outside investors this would seem unlikely. Itā€™d also be disappointing given their stated position.

Now it takes from 20 seconds to 2 minutes to update the information on the Now playing screen about the current playing track after it starts. Iā€™ve noticed this behavior in an iOS app on iPad Air.

Hi, Now 1.8 has soon been out for a week and many have provided input. Here come mine.

Iā€™m mostly happy with the impression, but there are also points I want improvements. Here are my findings and considerations:

-When you select Tracks in the menu, Roon no longer counts the number in the selection. This is wanted back.

-All too big headline font in menus like albums, my live radio, my artist, etc. The font under tracks is far better harmony in

-Treatment of Tags. Makes it easier to add multiple tags in one operation and remove a tag from an album

Suggestions for changes on the home page for fewer clicks and better navigation:

See picture below:

BR, Per M

8 Likes

I have exactly the same issueā€¦ shuffle shows the same albums/artists, mostly large box sets with 10-20 discs and some others but I canā€™t see the logicā€¦ I also use this function most of the time and Iā€™m getting very frustrated. Hope this will be fixed soon.

Roon 1.8.00756

When in the Qobuz section viewing an album you cannot see if it is already in the library.

If you add the album to the library while it is already in the library (which you cannot see) then the action does not complete.

6 Likes

1.8 problem #129:

When playing internet radio stations that artist/track identification which links to Tidal and Qobuz are not working or are working intermittently with inaccurate results. This worked correctly under 1.7.

1 Like

That is just totally unacceptable. Why are so many things broken in the ā€œimprovedā€ version? LOL.

2 Likes

Fully agree and am equally disappointed in all these ā€œimprovementsā€.

Interesting to note that the Roon team has created years of work for themselves as a result of 1.8ā€™s release. Not entirely sure that was their intention.

1 Like

NEEDS TO BE FIXED, PLEASE.
Yes, this is a complete sentence with a subject and a verb.

1 Like

Having worked in VC many years, I can tell you that in most cases these guys bring in structure, checks & balances, quality control and more. They also fire members of mgt teams if required. All dearly missing here.

3 Likes

Agreed, there is that. Iā€™ve seen VC involvement in a few forms over the years, and agree it be for the better. Iā€™ve seen it go bad as well, usually when investors have tried to push a business to an area they see as ā€œmore profitableā€ without considering the established base. My comment was simply to point out that Roon have gone on record as saying itā€™s something theyā€™re not interested in.

1 Like

This function was and is very helpful for long pieces (classical music, audio books) where no SKIP-points are set. For music schools or demonstrations to play special sections.

The Wavformbar is still sufficient for a piece that is not even 4 minutes.
For longer pieces (exmpl. over 10 min) the waveform is so pressed in such a way that this benefit does not apply.

4 Likes

Inbreeding for too long never moves you truly forward.

2 Likes

Tracks credist versions can be pulled down to the same line with focus and maybe antoher line in biograpyhy can be added

I donā€™t mind the new look. Thank you for making the server more responsive - it was unbearably slow before this update.

That said, the presentation of classical music has taken a HUGE step backwards. You used to indent all the tracks (or movements) of a classical piece - which was very helpful in navigating. Now theyā€™re all listed as if they were just tracks on an album - itā€™s SO hard to read. Please revert this!

Please show track #'s on Playlists!

One thing that is still crazy slow: selecting GENRES. Why does it take such a long time to display a choice of genres? Itā€™s such a deterrentā€¦

When you scroll through albums via the TAG option and then choose an album (to browse tracks) if you hit back, youā€™re back at the beginning of the album selection (i.e. Roon doesnā€™t remember your place) and you have to scroll all the way down againā€¦ so frustrating.

3 Likes

So far for me is the album size and the inability to change them to smaller. Also the top to bottom scroll vs. right to left for us wide screen users. Two downgrades it appears to me, rather than upgrades.

Just my .4 centsā€¦ :grin:

1 Like