Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

@Flere

Yes, clearly a bug here.
In fact, I think there are two.
For a long time, before 1.8, it happened sometimes that I was playing something streaming, and then I liked it and added it, and it did get added but it wouldn’t show as added on my screen. So there were somehow two separate entries in the computer, one was playing and one was added to the database. These were not different Versions, it happened with the same version. So I would click on the one that got added to the database and play that.

But here, the system also got hung up, spinning. A separate bug, or related to the first, who knows.

@support You can follow the thread, see @flere detailed bug report.

Honest to God!

2 Likes

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of folly is for good men to say nothing.” – apparently not Edmund Burke

1 Like

In Discover the FEATURED COLLABORATION entries now only show a single artist. I’m pretty sure that in previous versions they showed two artists. It would be nice to see who the other collaborator is.

Please re-instate the v1.7 type waveform and transport buttons. The waveform needs to be full width, the buttons need to be bigger. If there’s screen real estate enough for a 30% “In Their Prime” banner, there’s enough pixels for a useful waveform display.

8 Likes

i had an Android roon update this morning, but can not find changes / release notes for it.
Does someone know what was changed or has a link to release info?
thanks in advance!

Absolutely!

The entire playback bar at the bottom of the screen was perfect in 1.7. There was no need to change it at all. The waveform was full length and the currently playing song information was in a readable font size and placed above the waveform so it never needed to be truncated for lack of space. The buttons were larger and logically separated. Even the placement of the signal path button made more sense.

Every change they made to the playback bar is for the worse and I don’t understand what the point of that was.

12 Likes

It’s always been this way. Looking at the Qobuz pages in Roon gives you a view of what exists in the Qobuz (or Tidal, if that’s what you are using) catalog. And as such, those catalog views will always give you the “Add to Library” option, whether you have previously added items to your library or not.

I agree it is confusing, and it has been raised with Roon Labs before, but at least if you mistakenly click the “Add to Library” button again for an album that is already in your Library, it doesn’t add it twice.

1 Like

Yes, the “see it is already in the library” would be a functionality request.
But the “does not complete” is a bug in my view.
That is why I reported it.
Probably not a high priority bug.

Do you really want your display to show “Hi Bill” in huge serif font?

I don’t - my name’s not ‘Bill’ for a start!

But I also don’t want it to scream “Hi hmack”, or at least if it does feel compelled to welcome me, I would far rather it did so discretely with a much smaller and more agreeable font!

4 Likes

I have upgraded my Roon Core to 1.8 and my Huawei P30 to the latest version of the mobile app. Things are mostly working okay; however, I have noticed when trying to load the app on my phone it will freeze on the ROON window unless I engage the app on my Roon Core PC first, then the phone app behaves. This is not ideal. Any idea on how to fix this?

FYI, when I upgraded, I did the upgrade on my Core PC first and then on my phone. Would this have affected performance in anyway?

I echo what others have said here, please reinstate the full size wave bar. I use it to differentiate between different versions and fornats of the same track. For example, it’s an important tool to help me choose which version of a song to add to a playlist. In the last thre major releases it’s gone from narrower to full width and now down to miniscule. It suggets Roon haven’t a clue what to do with it nor any clue how users actually ‘use it’. In its present state it’s neither use nor ornament. Please listen to the conmmunity Roon and restore it to full width and depth.

6 Likes

For me, they are perfectly fine the way thy are. Moving them out too far left and right increases the risk of accidentally hitting them on an iPad.

So on this point, i think you have a generally important one. Designing products for apps/web is really awesome in that you can ‘instrument’ UI features to see whether and how users interact with them. Features which are fiddled with / used the most are deemed to be the most useful. In general, this is good for users - they get tools which they like to (or at least do) use. There are a bunch of potential issues however:

• features which you use by looking at them - they just provide information; short of ‘eyeball tracking studies’ in a use ability lab, you just can’t tell how useful they are, so they can often atrophy
  • features which a small portion of users use a certain way - in this case, the team can try to create ‘mean reversion’ or to train everyone to use the software the same way. This works brilliantly for applications like facebook / tinder / snap / etc who are trying to get a single action repeated over and over again and who can leverage gamification and behavioral economics. It sucks for companies that have pro-users - because it is costly beyond comprehension to understand how everyone is using your software in subtly different ways
  • features which take a while to figure out, and over time gain lots of useage - ‘product people’ often struggle to understand what they did to make it better / more useful

And there are legions more. Anyways, I think that its not crazy for Roon to not understand how some people are using some elements of their software. The And/OR tag issue is a perfect example. They had data that not a lot of people were using it. But boy oh boy do some people use it a lot. I learned a lot about how people use it, and once Roon enables AND and OR in some capacity I’m going to start using tags!

2 Likes

All I know is that the last few days, to avoid as much frustration as possible, I start the day with fresh re-boots of all my digital devices just to see what new 1.8 goodies show up…the last one was Recording Format added to album view so you can see what the bit and frequency rates the file is in your library… excellent!

Valid point. but if the font was smaller there would be even more empty space!!! lol

I’m going to say no to this question. It doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Actually, I would welcome space rather than the ‘in your face’ extremely distracting and ugly large scale font which is totally at odds with everything else on the page!

It just does not look ‘good’. Now, this in itself doesn’t seem so important and in the context of things it’s not. It’s just rather ugly and a very strange design decision for Roon to have made.

3 Likes

Weird Stuff in Tags
I thought I’d mention a couple issues I’ve had in Tags (on PC) that I haven’t seen mentioned:

Select All Not Possible?
I set up a large Blues&Jazz tag in order to shuffle play the two combined genres past the first 5000 tracks. I wanted to weed out any Christmas albums that were in there, so filtered “Christmas”. I selected the first one, then moved up to the Selection dropdown (top-left) to select all. But there was no ability to dropdown to select all or none. Control-A did not select all either. Has the ability to select all (or none) intentionally been dropped from the Tag screen?

Album Version Info Missing
After selecting the 52 Christmas albums individually, I removed them from the tag. Next I wanted to remove duplicate (multiple versions of) albums. It would be very helpful to have the version/resolution/dynamic range info with the album titles here so clicking in and out of albums isn’t necessary. Once I selected one album to be removed (right-click) I could not left-click in and out of another album because left-clicking another album now selected it. I would have to remove individually. This was probably always the case, but I didn’t notice because the album version info was always with the album. So I gave up on looking at the album version info and just guessed at which ones to select and plowed through.

Glitchy Scrolling on PC
Next I continued to scroll down selecting dupes; but after moving down a few pages, the scroll would instantly backup several pages, sometimes many more pages, without my doing anything. Very frustrating. It happened so often that I just gave up selecting dupes in the tag altogether. So I wondered if it was just my personal PC, the large size of the tag, or if anyone else had experienced this?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

YOU KNOW HOW ANNOYING IT IS WHEN PEOPLE POST IN ALL CAPS, LIKE THEY ARE YELLING? :wink:

That’s what this feels like every time I look at it.:astonished:

Hopefully, a future release will make the large text smaller.

13 Likes