Roon 1.8 (Build 748/756/763/764) Feedback

YES!! 1000X, YES!!!

4 Likes

I donā€™t know why they didnā€™t use comic sans or chalkboard font, it wouldnā€™t add any visual appeal but at least itā€™d be funny. :rofl:

2 Likes

:grin::+1:

(10 char)

I like the improvement in the user interface as it is more streamlined, but the release has plenty of bugs and some strange design choices. I won t list the bugs here as mine are probably similar to other users.

• credits: please do add the possibility to list credits as text or thumbnails. Thumbnails are really annoying when there are many people involved in the record.
  • the Focus features is better than before
  • As said i like the more airy user interface but there should be a difference in the amount of information displayed on an 10 inch ipad and a bigger PC Screen (i use 27" 1440P on Windows).
  • generally speaking i had the feeling that there were more customisation options in 1.7 - i don t mind that there are fewer options overall but some basic things should be left for the user to decide. If some people liked to use the Discovery page and you decided to keep it 1.8 eventough you do not seem particulary happy with it, why not just add an option so users who like it still can access it on their main page?
  • Home Screen: would be great if the information on the Home Screen would be somewhat customizable, like widgets on a phone or tablet. You could leave the basic information on top fixed, but add a few options for arranging the order and the content of the information for the less important stuff which is now on the bottom. This would also allow people to put Discovery more on top, if that is relevant to them.

Overall it sometimes feels like an Apple software which forces you to use it in a certain (designed) way. I use both Windows and Apple devices and like both for various reasons. But here it really feels that the user is constrained.

Overall i hope that in a few weeks we will get a stable software and that you will continue to add and finetune the new features. As said by many there should more ressources allocated to beta testing for future releases, as the beta testing is done for free by the frustrated end user here.

1 Like

I intended to wait to update, as I was concerned about the vertical flow on on my horizontal screens, but my remote devices updated automatically. So I updated my core and was pleasantly surprised that I still have wide and ultra wide screens full of artists and albums like before. Iā€™m already fine with the vertical scrolling, but the round artist images cut out faces or main band members.

I use the dark theme on every device, and this one seems even easier on my eyes. I also wouldā€™ve picked the same purple.

The sound is still great like before, but the bass feels louder and more defined. With everything else the same, I turned down the subā€™s power, and itā€™s still more defined and present. The whole sound seems a little more pristine now.

1 Like

Scratch this post. It was a network DNS issue.

Looks like a chalk board, canā€™t stand the white on black, almost impossible to read the wall of text of a review too. Poor decisions were made.

2 Likes

Yes. I cannot make head nor tail of all those micro-segmented discovery banners either. What purpose do they serve? They could just be simple buttons for anyone that is interested in them. Plenty of room for that.

I would just prefer a few ā€œrecommendedā€ album links so I can explore an unfamiliar artist further. But that would not just be seminal albums, it would also be similar artists, collaborators, styles, moods. Mix it all up. Why is what is probably going on under the hood being exposed with all these screen gobbling micro-category banners? Intelligence that aggregates all these micro-categories in a meaningful way would lead to a much less cluttered display, especially for those using smaller devices. TBH, I would take it a step further. In many contexts I would prefer not to have to engage with the UI at all. I would prefer radio was a better experience and made all those recommendation decisions for me so I donā€™t have to interact with the UI at all if I donā€™t want to.

1 Like

When have you last used Apple software? Things have changed quite a bit since iOS 2.1ā€¦ You certainly have more choices customizing your interface than you have in Roon.

Other than that, you made some valid points shared by many people here.

1 Like

Thats just for the artist previews. If you have added a high res photo for that band you get to see them all in full glory on the artists details page.

When I look at a preview of the London Symphony Orchestra, I also miss many of the 2nd violins :crazy_face:

The album title should stand out. But they did go just a little bit over the top. :blush: Using dynamic font scaling for longer titles would also help.

2 Likes

Can we turn off track picks? Album picks has a setting but I cant see a global setting for tracks.

1 Like

Iā€™ve tapped out, as a new user I couldnā€™t justify paying to be a beta tester and have cancelled my trial before subscription begins. Iā€™ll be back once roon 1.8 has matured.

I actually use it on a daily basis. Customizable UI is only a thing since iOS 14 or am i wrong? But yes compared to the relative constraints in Roon even old iOS feels like Android :slight_smile:

Iā€˜d to the same if I would be in your posiiton. Good luck and see you again.

1 Like

Thanks, you too. Take care.

Has anyone mentioned scrolling lyrics are a bit flakey now?

If you manually scroll them, ā€œjump to current timeā€ doesnā€™t always work.

This is happening on iOS and Android tablets.

Alsoā€¦ in the now playing screen, because you can scroll left-right as well as up-down, if you scroll down an artist biog, for example, if your finger moves slightly left or right, the display jumps straight back to the top.

Yes! This is the thing I like least about Roon.

Thereā€™s someone, somewhere, who decides how everything will work. Thatā€™s true of any piece of software, of course, but Roon seems to be allergic to allowing the user to customize the UI/UX. So the users have to bend to the will of this person. Worse of all, this ā€œpersonā€ freely changes their mind about whatā€™s important. So if there is or was something about Roon you liked, and it may have even been the main thing you liked about Roon, it might be removed at any time. And youā€™re not free to downgrade or stay with the old version you liked and bought into, because it can deprecated. And that decision is, again, up to Roon.

Everything changes in life and especially in tech, but most developers have greater respect for continuity in their designs. Rearranging items on, and especially removing items from a successful, widely used and celebrated UI should be done with extreme caution and care. And with other developers, it usually is.

16 Likes

To me the Roon 1.8 update is a disaster. I can no longer browse for radio stations and a lot of the radio stations I had in my library are no longer available. That is really really very disappointing. Why are there always problems with updates, with Apple, Microsoft and now with Roon. Itā€™s really frustrating.

3 Likes

There are always some issues with updates. ā€žBug Surā€œ gave me quite some grieve initially. But I had nothing quite as bad as this for a very long time.

A design update was dearly needed, and I like most elements of this. But removing major functionalities and breaking others is a bit too much to take.

1 Like