Roon 1.8 (Build 880) Feedback Thread

The funny thing is that it’s been pretty bullet-proof for me. I once lost my Db to corruption a year or so ago, and decided to spend some time rebuilding from scratch vs worrying about it. Maybe I’m a glass half full kind of person. Whenever the iOS app crashes, I just relaunch it. I think some of the things that really burn some people just don’t bother me as much and/or I don’t notice and/or I enjoy tinkering. I love the content and while away many happy hours listening. But none of that is to take away from other people’s experience - it ain’t cheap, and we have a right to have high expectations.

I’ve been thinking a bunch about the person who said the Roon team should cut down on the number and complexity of supported environments. It would piss off a lot of people, but I really do think they should do it. Force it down to ROCK & nucleus (keep windows / Mac core as trial maybe, and keep a win/Mac remote) or whatever they can do to simplify - these are not the right answers but rather examples of the kinds of choices I can imagine they might make. Take the heat, offer to let people sell their lifetimes on the secondary market, at the same time cut off lifetime permanently. It’s getting close enough to a mature product that I think they should start making some tough choices. Prioritize new feature dev vs stability across all these environments. I think that’s what I would do if I were in charge, which thankfully I’m not. Now, I don’t have the data on how much support time is spent based on platform, but I’d bet it’s massively skewed. And what I’m suggesting is not that there are unprofitable on some platforms, which I’m fairly sure is true, but rather that the opportunity cost of the time of the team focused on supporting those more problematic platforms is ridiculously high.

1 Like

Yes, same – that’s my plan

I did it and updated to 882, Core on Mac Mini M1, small library of 15k songs, only using Roon for half a year (lifetime subscriber). Roon remotes on various iPhones and iPads.

Update was super fast and no problems what so ever.

I am very sorry to all users who have database issues, I feel you that this really sucks, right before Christmas.

This takes me back to the early days of the release of 1.6.

No issues with 880 release : Core = ROCK on Synology VMM + multiple devices (include Mac [s] iPad; iPhone, homepod mini and PC, Nad M10, Teac NT505, HT-A7000…)

Arguably too complicated.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with that. Remember when you just turned on a radio or slapped an LP on the “record player”?

“record player”? or
“record player?”

I’ve been using roon for years with Windows servers and endpoints and android remotes with almost zero issues. I only had one problem a couple of years ago, and traced it down to some windows/bios sleep mode problem when running core on a notebook. Otherwise trouble free.

I’ve had plenty of complaints about some of roon’s design/functionality choices, but nothing that prevented me from playing music. Those complaints would have happened on any platform.

I do think that roon’s open source, cross platform development stack has maybe caused some headaches, and maybe hindered some new feature development. But overall it’s amazing that it works as well as it does across all the platforms it runs on.

Anyway, if they’re going to limit platforms, I vote for Windows end to end. It has been very stable for me.

3 Likes

Totally fair. I’m not arguing for one platform or the other (I run rock on Synology, which easily might not be a supported config), I’m just arguing for focus & simplification. If I had to go get a windows license to run on a headless NUC in the name of more rock solid reliability for everyone and hence more time spent on features, I for one would be happy to.

2 Likes

“record player”? is the correct way of writing.

Impressive list of fubars again. Par for the course, just like the usual chest beating and exaggerations about the features.

For me the update was uneventful. Roon hasn’t improved, so I’m disappointed as per usual. Nil novi sub sole.

2 Likes

Yup, I do remember vinyl! “The good old’ days”, as they say.

I like Roon, I really do, but needing to rebuild databases after a routine upgrade (as a example) is a bit too far, I think. Even Apple Music and Spotify are more reliable, though they have their own issues. I hope Roon can get their product to the point where it doesn’t take what feels like an unreasonable level of maintenance and know-how to keep it running smoothly. It is consumer software after all, and should be much closer to “plug-and-play” in my opinion.

4 Likes

Most illegible screen of the day:

But there were many close seconds.
Generally, linked lavender text tends to disappear into the new photographic backgrounds.

2 Likes

Success; thanks for your help. PS Found Backup manager in clean up /edit schedule backups and ll previous backups were there

2 Likes

The dropouts when playing back Qobuz tracks is really frustrating on MacOS Monterey 12.1 on my Intel Mac mini.

This wasn’t an issue before this Roon update.

This needs to be fixed ASAP.

I resent having to pay for software that doesn’t work as advertised. This isn’t a local network issue. This only started happening after the update. Please fix it!

I have the same issue.

What format is the HDD plugged into your nucleus?

Sorry, I don’t remember and can’t seem to find out. When I go to the drive in Windows File Explorer and click on Properties, it doesn’t tell me.

About half of my album covers and artists images are gone and not coming back. Looks like a remote problem, IOS and on Mac have different missing ones, but are pretty bad. It applies to both local albums on nucleus and Qobuz.
Art Director is feature i did not know i needed, verdict is out on that but that release made a huge chunk the art just disappear, Roon apps look really, really sad now.

Martin, this has happened to many of us. Restarting your Roon server or rebooting your Core computer will remedy this issue.

Edit: On reading again Martin’s post I realize that it’s not albums that are missing, but artwork for albums. This may have to do with the fact that the update wipes out the former local image cache. The new release downloads images on demand, and there are times when the response times from Roon’s cloud infrastructure are not good. I remember having the same problem, and in fact a restart of the Roon server did help to some extent. Good news is that once the images are downloaded, they will again be locally cached and the problem goes away.

3 Likes

I’m one of the lucky ones who updated without any problems (yet). But it’s really funny how, once again, that it’s not Roon’s fault, it’s your hardware! It’s never their fault, guys! When will we ever learn?!

Hard drives and SSDs are not foolproof. Failures are uncommon, but do happen at predictable rates which can result in lost or corrupt data. This means that when Roon accesses your database the information can be garbled or unavailable, and this can be caused not only by drive failure but also by bad RAM or a buggy storage controller. Again, these cases are rare, but with a user base like ours, some people are going to experience some form of hardware failure every day.

1 Like