Roon 1.8 (Build 880) Feedback Thread

That’s for sure. It’s still doing that repeatedly. Would love to stop it. Any suggestions?

I also have no crashes and no problems with iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro, iPad Pro 4th gen, iPad Pro 2nd gen. I use Roon almost exclusively from these mobile devices. Solid as a rock.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot Andreas, right, restarting core does not do anything for me. However, there is more to than slow download from the cloud. Honestly, i dont even now what ‘slow download from the cloud’ should be a thing. I dont know where all this is hosted, but AWS has CloudFront for static content like this, good luck with this getting ‘slow’ ;-). When i restarted the roon remote on my MAC, there were different album covers missing ;-(

I just re-installed the operating system and voila! It’s working again.

1 Like

It does get slow, especially during weekends. There have many recent complaints on the forum about that.

If those are albums from streaming services or local files with ‘Roon’ set as preferred metadata provider for cover images, they should download on demand at the time you first browse to these albums on your Roon remote. All I can do is offer you my recent experience, when I had pages and pages of albums without artwork on my Mac remotes. Don’t know why nor when exactly, but this sorted itself out without my doing and it is now ok for me. Maybe give it a day or two…

Thanks Andreas, I am sure you are right on slowness. Building things in the cloud is my day job ;-). Lots of ways to screw the pooch there. As you said, i’ll give it some time. Thanks for reading, really appreciated.

1 Like

In my experience with Roon 882 I admit there is an instability factor present.
Various instances with disappearing metadata during last days. Well, all came back.
Today out of thousands of local albums just 5 showed up.(!!) All appeared within 30 minutes again.
Also have crashes (3 or 4 since update) on my Win 10 core. Database is not corrupt though.
My second Roon core on a Nuclueus+ is rock stable. I am on yellow alert.

That’s good news @Ronald_Lyster :slight_smile: Am on UK time so have just woken. Hope everything is OK and running normally now.

I really like the new Roon playlists - some I can listen to beginning to end - lots of new songs I have not known yet - far better curated than the Tidal ones. Please expand on that service. Well curated playlists for the demanding listener could really be a unique selling point for Roon. I strongly recommend you go further down that road.

The playlists could become like a music magazine curated by real human editors with KI support. Highlighting various genres, time periods etc. (maybe even adding written content to go with the playlist)- If this is well done I would be willing to pay a few extra bucks for this kind of exclusive service.

1 Like

When you do a Core update, its typical the endpoints require a reboot too.

I really like Roon. I have had no issues with either update (Lucky me), but what’s with Roon playlists. Sleepy city.

IMO, available playlists seem targeted to quite conservative listening genres, and hand picked for very select user demographics… I wonder if there is a view to expand genres?!

Clearly there are key genres completely missing:

• Techo - and sub genres
  • Electronic(a) - and sub genres
  • Rock
  • Metal
  • Alternative Rock
    -Jazz fusion
  • etc etc

Is this in testing phase?

Without additional depth of genre selection, I would prefer if I had the ability to hide these playlists.

An obvious point I would like to make, is the ability to set playlist preferences, or alternatively for Roon to analyse my listening habits in order to present meaningful playlists?!

6 Likes

I don’t know whether this is done currently or planned, but it raised the question in my mind: are we all seeing the same Playlists?

Here’s the first page of what I see; do you have the same list?

My set look identical to yours.

1 Like

OK - so no per-user customisation done at the moment, then. Thanks.

Isn’t that what the Daily Mixes are for? They are definitely related to what you play.

1 Like

Good point - it may be… Here’s the first 3 of what I have today…

Same list. It appears there is no customisation.
Seems like a wasted opportunity to target playlist to user preferences.
IMO, the solution doesn’t need to be “AI” generated, it could be a simple check box system.

By the way Qobuz playlists are just as “un” customised.

My listening chart for the week.
If you cross reference with the available/presented Roon playlists, and its clear there is a big gap.

Genres for you - Is obviously more on point:

As do mine.

I notice a number of people have asked that the playlists are based on an analysis of their listening habits.

Is this not exactly what the ‘Daily Mixes’ provide?

2 Likes

See my comment above…