Roon 1.8 (Build 884) is Live

Ok…. it doesn’t. SQ is as good as ever :grinning:

3 Likes

Phew, that’s a relief, I’ll switch my system on again now :grin:

2 Likes

hard to believe only 75 users were affected. In most cases it had NOTHING to do with database corruption, it was a buggy build 880 release that corrupted Roon. After build 882 was released, I restored a Win system image of my computers c:, which recreated a usable Roon prior to the 880 update. Roon was then back and running fine and when I updated to Build 882 it worked fine and updated the database without issue, NO corruption. Do a system image backup of c: before you update Roon, then you have a fallback.

Also, turn off auto updates in Roon!

3 Likes

My system still has a problem… it can’t restore the sound source and
ROON repeats restart every 3 minutes…

The last update 884 has affected seriously the sound quality in my system, lost dynamics and pace

1 Like

Hope they can fix the sound quality problem with the next update after 884

No changes were made that should affect sound quality so you may want to raise a support ticket if you feel your system was adversely affected by 884.

Thanks for your answer, are you involved in the software development? How do you know that it doesn’t affect the sound quality?

It was only aimed at things broken in b880 and 882 and these forums would be very loud if there was any impact. We already have people claiming that 880 and 882 improved the audio chain and Roon have come back and said that nothing was changed.

Try rebooting your whole setup and see if that makes a change. The common reason Roon give for a change in sound signature is that the system is rebooted and that gives a clean start.

DISCLAIMER : I do not work for Roon nor do I have access to the code

Thank you, I will reboot my server.

However I agree that 882 improved the sound

It is a very common comment after each new version and I cannot truly say it doesn’t change, only that Roon say no difference.
It may be worth rebooting your endpoints as well, just to give everything a clean start.

I have a Euphony server with a Pink Faun i2s card, there were plenty of problems before 882 version, specially on high resolution files 24/96 or 24/192.
After installing the new version 882 all problems were solved

2 Likes

Euphony is an interesting one as it is doing more than running Roon.
I liked the idea of it and tried it out, but eventually settled on Rock as it only does Roon, and while sometimes I wish it did more, it has been incredibly reliable at just running Roon.

It’s usually the government wishing to slide something unpalitable past the public, but in this case it seems to be a responsible software provider keen to distribute an urgent fix - one that could benefit lots of users even !! :smiley:

We just spent 3 days away from home. Roon Build 884 on my Dell laptop worked with no issues. Back home now and using Nucleus running Build 884 and all is good.

Two years with Roon, Roon Nucleus, Tidal, and Quboz with zero issues. Point is, Roon does work under the right circumstances.

2 Likes

Updated on Dec 25th and listened to ROON into the we hours. No database issues. ROCK on i5 NUC with 32RAM and 256 NVME drive.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Updated to 884. after 1-2 hours of playing it stopped working

Have you not been thru the last few updates where things don’t work at all or your library is 1/10 the size from the prior release? I agree with the OP that it’s crazy to implement buggy software right before the holiday. Who will be around for support? In an enterprise IT environment, we would never implement new code right before a holiday

I had been holding off making the update having read of all the issues. Finally plucked up the courage yesterday, and everything went smoothly on Core (2018 Mac mini) and remote (2021 M1 Pro MacBook Pro) and everything is working as it should be so far :crossed_fingers:. Very sorry for those affected with the database issue, must be very frustrating indeed.