Roon 1.8 (Build 884) is Live

Are you crazy, who in their right mind releases a patch on a friday, let alone christmas eve???

4 Likes

Are you serious?!?
Is this how you applaud Roon hard work to try and make things better!!

Iā€™m really not sure where this forum is going nowadays.
:frowning::roll_eyes:

If it carries on in this vein it might be time to say ciao!

17 Likes

Meh, not really an issue IMHO. Although I understand the comment in the context from a tech point of view, I think for the individuals that had some DB issues it would be an option for them to try and actually get them going in time for holidays.

Iā€™ve always said, NEVER have auto update enabled on anything - IMHO. Thus if things are working, no need to apply this update over the holiday break.

3 Likes

It has nothing to do with making things better, have you heard of change control and risk.

ā€œno change fridaysā€

Always try and deploy an update/patch on a Monday so that staff are available to support any issues that may occur as a result of the rollout (patches often cause as many problems as they resolve)

Itā€™s common sense rather than roon bashing, aim for stability and 99.999% uptime etc.

5 Likes

Tryā€¦being the operative word here.
As Roon appear to have identified a number of issues that have effected quite a few, I applaud them in attempting to get them back online with music.

Your approach would be to leave them to rot over Christmas?
Niceā€¦

15 Likes

So they should have waited when they have some fixes and left those who have these problem without music over the holidays? For what reasons? To whose benefit?

I wonder how many people still have major issues after this release? May still be quite a few but would be worth collecting them here or somewhere else so that there number has some sense of reality rather than the angst speculation that seems pretty rife.

6 Likes

What happens if the update to resolve 0.01% of users issues results in 99.99% of users have issues and Roon staff areā€¦

2 Likes

I updated and all seems fineā€¦phew! I must admit that at the moment I am feeling a little apprehensive about any updates that fly our way. Iā€™m sure it shouldnā€™t be that way, but, in theory, I have an uncorrupted 882 backup if the sh@t did hit the fan. I suppose that is the benefit of knowing that my database did not detect any corruption when updating to 880.

2 Likes

Good to hear, I updated the minute it hit as zero concern on my endā˜ŗļø.

But I was never affected to begin with so not quite a nail biter.

2 Likes

I understand the patch mgmt angle, but I think releasing this build today is more valid for the down users as they have nothing to lose so to speak. I think itā€™s great thereā€™s an option at this point. Thereā€™s no reason for anyone to apply this prior to the wknd if things are working?

Again as end users, applying updates for the sake of ā€œupdatingā€ isnā€™t really a best practice IMHO. I understand some arenā€™t ā€œtechyā€ and just leave things on autopilot and I get that, but you need to be somewhat invested in understanding updates > same with my routers, APā€™s, switches etcā€¦always read change logs.

Iā€™m in the camp never (usually) to be on latest and greatest release unless there are specific reasons to do so. Iā€™m usually at least one or two cuts back ALWAYS in my professional discipline and at home. Just makes sense (to me)

4 Likes

Me too. No issues with previous updates either.

Though I empathize with the pain that some users have experienced and the resultant anger and disbelief.

I imagine none of the Roon engineers or staff foresaw the extent of the grief the database corruption issue caused. Iā€™m sure they are doing whatever they can to remedy it if itā€™s even possible. I wish them success and happy holidays.

2 Likes

No more than 75 out of 250,000 users according to Roon, balance that against the risk of a new patch with minimal staff to support is bonkers.

1 Like

Chris - just relax. The update is minor, everything will be fine. Have a great Christmas.

7 Likes

Iā€™m risk averse.

Fastly said the bug was in a software update shipped to customers on 12 May but was not triggered until one unidentified customer carried out settings changes that triggered the problem ā€œwhich caused 85 per cent of our network to return errors.ā€

1 Like

Me too. I compensate with a variety of alcoholic beverages, particularly over the Christmas season. :grinning:

5 Likes

Thatā€™s not the way it was portrayed at all, and you know itā€¦

At least we know where you stand.
:+1:

1 Like

Credit where creditā€™s due. @TheHammer is the first to try and help others find a solution.

4 Likes

This thread evokes memories of that famous Charlie Brown quote: ā€œGood Griefā€.

3 Likes

ā€œTis the season to be merryā€
Itā€™s also the season that the water dispenser on our refrigerator has an annual conversion :+1:

11 Likes

Just like that famous miracle at a wedding in Cana of Galilee. :wink:

1 Like