Roon 1.8 (Build 884) is Live

I reserve the right to freak out over my 1st-world problems.

1 Like

Updated NUC with Roon Core and PC with control software in that order and no issues at all. Had limited problems with volume control via iOS iPhone (not so much with iOS on iPad) which seems to be resolved from 882 on.
Only issue I have from the beginning that my NUC (controlled via remote PC) will never restart Roon after an update. I have to go to NUC directly to restart Roon with the shortcut in the taskbar. There is a error message as to ā€˜could not open libraryā€™ or something that obviously prohibited restart of Roon after the update.

If your Roon installation is working well, you have the option of not updating until Monday when more Roon support staff will potentially be available. There is no compulsion to apply build patches immediately.

1 Like

Just push the update button whilst screaming
ā€œYippee-ki-yay MFā€.
Itā€™s what John would want.
Worked for me.
God Jul :santa:

3 Likes

And as I watched that film again last night I actually remember what it is from :grin:
John is definitely for action over inaction.

All good from here, and while I would prefer a Christmas without an updates pushed out on the edge of Christmas Eve, I personally feel that if another few userā€™s get music back then bring it on.

Damned if they do something and damned if they do nothing. Thatā€™s humanity for you.

4 Likes

Why do you care? If your change management is so buttoned up then you can wait till after the holidays to apply the patch.

For those that are impacted Iā€™m sure they will be grateful.

1 Like

Internet is such a fantastic and magical place! I can find someone triggered by an update! A SW update! On Christmas! On Roon!!

What a wonderful world we live in.

Thank you stranger for showing us the right way.

6 Likes

Quit complaining.

1 Like

I think itā€™s time someone mentioned how this update affects SQ.

3 Likes

Okā€¦. it doesnā€™t. SQ is as good as ever :grinning:

3 Likes

Phew, thatā€™s a relief, Iā€™ll switch my system on again now :grin:

2 Likes

hard to believe only 75 users were affected. In most cases it had NOTHING to do with database corruption, it was a buggy build 880 release that corrupted Roon. After build 882 was released, I restored a Win system image of my computers c:, which recreated a usable Roon prior to the 880 update. Roon was then back and running fine and when I updated to Build 882 it worked fine and updated the database without issue, NO corruption. Do a system image backup of c: before you update Roon, then you have a fallback.

Also, turn off auto updates in Roon!

3 Likes

My system still has a problemā€¦ it canā€™t restore the sound source and
ROON repeats restart every 3 minutesā€¦

The last update 884 has affected seriously the sound quality in my system, lost dynamics and pace

1 Like

Hope they can fix the sound quality problem with the next update after 884

No changes were made that should affect sound quality so you may want to raise a support ticket if you feel your system was adversely affected by 884.

Thanks for your answer, are you involved in the software development? How do you know that it doesnā€™t affect the sound quality?

It was only aimed at things broken in b880 and 882 and these forums would be very loud if there was any impact. We already have people claiming that 880 and 882 improved the audio chain and Roon have come back and said that nothing was changed.

Try rebooting your whole setup and see if that makes a change. The common reason Roon give for a change in sound signature is that the system is rebooted and that gives a clean start.

DISCLAIMER : I do not work for Roon nor do I have access to the code

Thank you, I will reboot my server.

However I agree that 882 improved the sound