Roon 1.8 (Build 913) Feedback Thread

have you tried a simple rescan?

I am having an issue where a track plays, but there is no sound. I have to stop playback and reselect the song so that it starts from the beginning to get sound working again. Anyone else notice this?

1 Like

Effectively killed all my Ropieee based Roon bridges. Switched over to Volumio and HifiBerry OS and I am back in business. Folks I don’t get, this looks like experimental programming to me in the Chaos Hacker Club. Get serious about your quality control

4 Likes

This is odd. Although the bridge is not listed in the about area, I have had no issues with my Ropieee endpoints. All are working fine.

Problem is not with RoPieee but with the Roon Bridge component Build 913 running on RoPieee. You could just have reinstalled RoPieee and you’d have been back in business, too.

In fact, all Roon Bridge devices with Build 913 are affected… I have an iMac as endpoint… doesn’t show up on the ‘About’ page, either.

Ropieee is working fine audio wise but 913 build messed up the display part and it shows error screen every few mins during playback. If you don’t have a RPi Display attached to your RPi Ropieee, then you won’t notice this issue. Reflashing Ropieee is the only current fix for the display error so Ropieee load Roon Bridge 880 Build again.

After reflashing my three Ropieee Displays all is back to normal and no more error screens.

Updated last night to B913 and after having to completely reboot my system that runs the Roon core since Roon hung on startup after the update with no error message. Several reboots later I got my system back up and Roon started and ran without error.

Forced a backup that went OK.

Updated my Apple mini and all worked sort of OK EXCEPT anything in my library on TIDAL will not play (at best one song). Content local on my system plays fine. Get a message about loading TIDAL to slow (200mbps connection).

This started with the update and has so far been consistent. Guess I have to live with it until the next update.

Another smooth roll out then. Getting a bit of habit of late.

3 Likes

I had the same problem; have you tried “no” to show hidden tracks and albums?

Sound stops at times. Didn’t do that before.
The endpoint is ropieee, all wiring is 1 gbps ethernet.
The ropieee got reflashed to 880 due to the errors.

1 Like

Unfortunately, with build 913 I am still experiencing Roon core randomly drop connection with end point (dCS or Auralic Aries). And it only takes a song or two and then just drops connection.

Still need a fix Roon support. This all started (for me) around build 903 - or with release you rewrote RAAT to reduce network load…

1 Like

@support
Same here.
Rebooted roon server, endpoints, as well as the router.
Something is broken in 913 quite badly.
All connections are wired, no changes in network setup (besides reboots), all IPs are static.

1 Like

The same over here, it started 2 updates ago.

Hi Gunter,

A rescan fixes part of the problems, but not all.

I tried adding a new album just now, and this is the result before rescan:

duplicate

After rescanning both “versions” of the album, it is reduced back to one, but the tracks are still wrong:

Hi Norman,
Same result regardless of the setting here, I’m afraid.
But thanks for the tip!

1 Like

My ROON setup updated without any problems.

Except the sound quality.

The sound quality for the latest ROON update is a giant step back.

Roon sounds soft, treble reduced. Lack of spatial cues. Transients and both macro and micro dynamics are almost non existent.

The sound is muted. It’s more like listening to elevator music.

The problems occur with both streaming from Tidal and Quboz and from local files.

I also gave Auralic Lightning as a backup. I also played the same cuts through Lightning server. Hardware is exactly the same. Lightning playback is unchanged sonically.

I have rebooted the entire chain three times from cable modem to router, Etherregens, fiber, switches, clocks and two different DACS.
I’ve gotten the exact same results.

I know the Roon team is trying yo make improvements. Surely the team knows what parts of the program result in sonic changes.

Is it too much to ask to actually listen to a new release before releasing it?

A ROON lifetime member.

2 Likes

Well, ROON lifetime member, I hear nothing of what you describe. To me all sounds just as before the update. And others have reported to the contrary better sound and more ‘spatial cues’, whatever that may be. Can it be possible that this egregious sound degradation affects lifetime members only??

5 Likes

That must be it…
I knew there was a good reason to stay with yearly!

:wink:

8 Likes

Perhaps you’re correct.

I don’t know.

I do know that last weekend ROON sound quality marginally surpassed Auralic Lightning Server.

With the latest ROON releases Auralic Lightning Server easily surpasses ROON sound quality.

All hardware has been rebooted multiple times and no hardware has been changed.

The only thing in the system that’s changed is the ROON update.

1 Like

Yep. The bit perfect delivery part and the DSP part. The former hasn’t changed, and nor, I suspect, has the latter. Have you checked that you haven’t inadvertently changed any settings, particularly with DSP?