Roon 1.8 (Build 913) Feedback Thread

All good here.

I previously had an issue where opening focus on iPadOS either loaded infinitely or crashed the app.

My only outstanding issue relates to running Roon remote on Linux with wine but that isn’t a Roon problem.

Yes. I checked. The only DSP I use occasionally is volume leveling. It’s easy to turn off and on.

Volume leveling whether off or on has no affect on my experience so far.

I’ve other colleagues on other sites that have confirmed what I’m hearing.

They don’t visit the ROON Community any longer as they are tired of the “bad actors” that populate our community.

I can’t speak for Roon, but I imagine their response would be that they haven’t changed anything that could affect SQ. So, if that’s the case, that leaves us with one of two options. Either something has changed in your system (I know you said it hasn’t, but it is one of the possibilities) or, you’re imagining the difference. And before you tell me that you’re sure that there’s a definite difference, as are others you’ve spoken to …

One thing that can happen when something in an audio system changes is that we listen much more intently for a while, to maybe check that everything’s good, that nothing has changed, that something has improved, and so on. And, given that a) our auditory memory is notoriously unreliable, and b) we’re listening in a way that is different our normal listening style, we do indeed perceive a difference in sound - either for the better, or for the worse. In short, you hear a difference, but the source of that difference is your increased attention and expectation that something may have changed. Put another way, it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I suspect that those of us who didn’t expect a difference - nothing has changed in Roon that could affect SQ - don’t perceive any sort of difference at all.

9 Likes

I’m not able to connect anymore to my Sonictransporter after 913 update. 911 ok. App is 913 (iOS). Roon see other core’s on NAS. I can acces my Sonictransporter with HQplayer and it was updated 4 to 6 days ago.

Any suggestions?

Try to goto the settings of your SonicTransporter, then select Roon Server. Then change the setting for local playback and save. Then reset the changed setting, save again and hopefully everything will connect.

1 Like

I’ve had similar behaviour adding a local album B911 - indented tracks plus one shown as a separate album (same name). Merging the two fixed it

1 Like

Thanks. Very helpfull. Working now.

1 Like

Since I installed 913 24 hours ago nothing works any more. Roon causes my Mac Mini core to slow down and heat up suggesting that it’s doing a great deal of work. When I force quit Roon everything returns to normal. None of the other devices will reliably connect to core. Very frustrating. Please Roon, an update on when a fix will be available? Perhaps roll back to previous stable version until this is sorted out. Beyond frustrating.

1 Like

I am also having the above problem when I add new albums - it needs a fix!

Hi,

Sorry to hear there are problems with you system … it’s possible this is just affecting your system, as I’ve not seen others reporting this.

I’d recommend creating a support request in in the Support section of the site.

1 Like

It also sounds like the old MacOS spin-loop issue (which I personally haven’t seen in ages). What you could try is a) quit the Roon app on your Mac b) toggle WiFi on your Mac (if it’s on, switch off and then on again; or the reverse if it’s off in normal use) and c) start Roon. Check with Activity Monitor how much CPU is being used by Roon, shouldn’t be hundreds of percents…

Steven is right the sound is much softer no dynamic range. I love Roon, but I wish Tidal had a remote.

1 Like

As a RoonOnNAS user (Synology 1517+) I am pleased with the now decent memory handling of the 9xx versions. No more leaks. Before the core task had to be restarted on a weekly basis.

1 Like

Another lifetime member.

2 Likes

Thanks. I knew it was not the same.

I sold stereos at a high end store when I was going to college. We sold Magnepan, Acoustat, ARC, SOTA Threshold and many others.

I can still remember the sound of the Maggie Tympani 4s powered and biamped by two Acoustat TNT 200 amps, the ARC SP-10, the SOTA Star Sapphire turntable, David Fletcher’s The Arm, and the Koetsu Black.

That system had a way with music that I’ll always use as a reference.

I can remember how certain LPs sounded in that system like Amanda McBroom’s Growing Up in Hollywood Town, Thelma Houston’s I’ve Got the Music in Me, Eric Leinsdorf’as conductor for Prokofiev’s Excerpts from Romeo and Juliet all recorded on Sheffield Lab Direct to Disc. Even my memory of the way Foreigner’s 4 album playing Jukebox Hero still brings a smile to my face. The sound of the original Sheffield Labs Direct to Discs was amazing. The digital releases on CD or of the LPs made from the tapes don’t even come close.

I can play any of those cuts and many more besides from that time and judge how well a system reproduces music whether digital, analog, or tape.

It’s interesting that friends that worked at the store at the same time remember exactly how that system reproduced the same music.

Once in a while we will all go to an audio show together and have fun listening to very expensive systems. We still use as a reference the system outlined above.

I’ve heard systems that do certain aspects better, (and very expensive systems that don’t come close,) but I have pursued that sound my entire stereo life and have finally equaled and surpassed it. It’s been quite a journey.

1 Like

I’m not doubting you believe there’s a change, nor the experiences you’re drawing upon to support that claim, I’m just pointing out that nothing seems to have changed in Roon that could account for it. As such, logic would suggest that it’s something going on in your system, or your head, rather than anything to do with build 913. If you’re 100% convinced SQ has declined you should raise a support ticket.

6 Likes

A lovely system, i’m sure.
But i do not agree. You see, i don’t think you “remember” how that system “reproduced music” as most trials seem to indicate that audio memories in humans are short lived, only seconds or minutes for most people.

However, i am sure that everyone here have fond (and otherwise) memories of their perception of a certain piece of music or system.
And those impressions seem to be cemented in the consciousness of avid listeners.

But, trying to correlate memories of an impression or state of mind with what you hear at a given time i think is impossible.

6 Likes

Finally decided to take the plunge. All good so far, all zones present and correct. As expected no change in SQ sounds as it always has.

1 Like

Nucleus Roon 1.8 (Build913). With less than 2,000 albums on Nucleus internal storage, scrolling too fast on the albums page my PC Roon remote would cause Roon Server Software to reboot (observed on the Nucleus Web Administration Interface). Don’t think it’s processing power issue, because the issue is only start to manifest after Build 913. Though, I did recently(right after Build 913) migrate my watched folder from a NAS to Nucleus internal storage. Let’s just hope @support could have some resolution soon.