Roon 1.8 Frequent Audio Dropouts

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Roon Nucleus+, Serial #54B2038C104F, 4TB SSD
OS 1.0 (build 227), Server 1.8 (build 806)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
All devices are on the same network.
Netgear Cable Modem (Cox Gigablast up to 1Gb/s)
Apple Airport Time Capsule (latest FW)
Peakedge SE26 24 port GigE Switch
Netgear 16 port GigE Switch
Linksys 4 port GigE Switch

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Endpoints
Devialet D250 PRO v.13.1
Meridian: 218 (3u), MS600, Control 15 (2u)
AppleTV 4K (2u)
Airport Express (2u)
iMac 5K

Other Devices
Meridian Core on QNAP
Crestron Pro2 Controller
Crestron CNX-PAD8 (Audio Matrix Switch)
Crestron MT-MC2W Controller

Description Of Issue
Dear Sir,

I’ve been experiencing frequent streaming (Radio Stations and Tidal) audio dropouts since upgraded to the latest Roon 1.8. It happens intermittently every 10 to 20 mins and lasts a minute or 2. The “Now Playing” status shows the track or station is still playing continuously without audio, and continue playing the station or track when audio resumed.

There has been no changes to my network, and I’ve confirmed that there are no dropout issues using the native Tidal or Radio Apps as well as my alternate Meridian Sooloos server.

In addition, Roon 1.8 is much slower to load and startup. The new “Your Daily Mixes” won’t show up from time to time which I believe Roon is aware of the issue.

I’d appreciate it very much if you could look into the problems and provide a solution.

1 Like

Hello @DN28,

Thanks for getting in touch and letting us know of the issue you ran into. We’d love to help you experience music uninterrupted :nerd_face:

You’ve mentioned listening to music from live radio stations and TIDAL. Do you also have a local library at all? If so, how is it connected to your Core and do you experience dropouts when you play it?

As a first troubleshooting step could you please change your Router’s DNS servers from the ISP provided ones to Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS?

Thanks in advance :pray:

Hi rebeka,

I just checked, I’m having audio dropouts with my local library also. I’ve noticed same audio dropout problem with Quboz streaming and local files was reported by another user.

I also noticed Roon 1.8 is very sluggish and unresponsive when I tried to delete a Tidal album in my library. It generated “Files not found” error message at first, and won’t delete the album after several trials. I ended up going to the Tidal App to unselect it from my favorites before it’s removed from my Roon library. “My Daily Mixes” shows up in the morning but disappeared later in the day.

From my experience so far, Roon 1.8 is broken, its unusable.

My ISP is COX cable, 1Gigabit plan. I’m not sure how to change my DNS server to the ones you listed; however, I have no data drops or speed issues with Meridian Sooloos music server and other audio and video streaming services that are all connected to the same network. My Nucleus+ and all endpoints are connected by wired Ethernet.

Regards

1 Like

Hi rebeka,

I’m wondering if this is an issue with Devialet D250 PRO “Roon Ready”, have you guys tested Roon 1.8 with Devialet Expert endpoints?

Roon started OK this morning, no problems at first, but I did noticed a few audio glitches, could be very short audio dropouts.

The dropout started after a few tracks, and it’s repeatable. I replay the track 4 times, 1st 2 had dropout close to the same spot, 3rd & 4th time played though but had dropout towards the end of the track. The playtime and sync’d lyrics advanced normally during the dropout, and there were no error messages, audio resumed after a few lines of lyric.

Once the dropout started, it happened on almost all the subsequent tracks regardless if it’s from Tidal or local library FLAC files. The dropout points, time stamp, is fairly repeatable for the same track which is a bit strange. Sometimes there were multiple audio dropouts for the same track. I’ve attached a picture of the 1st Tidal track with the dropout issue.

Hi rebeka,

After further investigation, looks like the audio dropout issues is with certain endpoint(s). The problem occurs with Devialet D250 PRO “Roon Ready” endpoint, which is my main 2Ch system. The problem starts about 10 to 15 min into play, and once it started it repeats randomly every few minutes, sometimes there are multiple dropouts during 1 song which makes it unusable. I’ve checked the status of the Devialet, there’s no faults and the Ethernet network connection was stable during the dropout.

There’s no issues with Meridian M218 and Devialet AIR to the D250 Pro which are all on the same network. It seems to be an issue with RAAT protocol since the same device works fine with Devialet AIR with was implemented by Roon.

Best Regards.

Hello @DN28,

Thank you for not failing to keep me updated, even if you did not hear back right away. I appreciate your diligence in finding a solution and your incredible patience.

Precisely because the issue is happening with both local files and streaming, the issue points at the local network (not your internet speed). Roon is a bandwidth intensive software and it does require more resources than just a streaming service along, or probably other music software.

The fact that you’ve narrowed it down to just the Devialet helps even further. Is this device connected to Roon as a Roon Ready device? Can you please try connecting it via USB to your Core? Do the dropouts still happen? (You mentioned them not happening via AirPlay)

Hi rebeka,

The dropout only happens with the Devialet Roon Ready endpoint. The D250 PRO is connected by Ethernet on the same GigE switch right next to the Nucleus+ Core. I highly doubt it’s a bandwidth issue.

There’s no dropout issues with the Devialet AIR input on the same D250 device (Devialet AIR is proprietary asynchronous bit perfect protocol which Roon had implemented, different from Apple AirPlay), also via Ethernet. Devialet AIR endpoint is listed under “Other Network Devices”. I don’t use USB.

I have multiple Roon Tested endpoints on the network (Meridian 218, MS600, …, etc), and none of them have the dropout issues, all are connected by wired Ethernet.

Devialet Roon Ready is the only endpoint using RAAT. Some people have suggested disabling Jumbo Frame or putting a 10/100 switch (much lower bandwidth than GigE) in front of the Devialet will fix it; which I don’t understand what it’s actually doing.

From the Roon forum, I see there are other setups and endpoints that are also experiencing dropouts. My take is it’s some kind of RAAT issue with Roon 1.8.

Hey @DN28,

Thanks for the quick follow up and extra details. Please, allow me to double check with the technical team and see if there is anything in particular with the D250 PRO that we should focus our attention on.

Please, sit tight :nerd_face:

So Roon just dropped another 1.8 update. I updated my system & was hoping it’d fix the dropout issue, but nope, Roon Ready still broken.

It starts with one or 2 minor glitches (not very audible) a couple of minutes from start, and the long dropout usually starts about 4 - 5min into the song from start. Once it started, it’ll keep repeating randomly every few minutes.

I also checked Apple Airplay endpoint on AppleTV, no issues with that either.

Hello @DN28,

I’ve sent you a DM.

-John

1 Like

Got it thanks.