Roon 1.8 is great

Loving 1.8, the more I use it, the more intuitive it becomes
Great work
Portrait or landscape works fine
Not sure if the DSP has been tweaked, but music (what we are all here for ?) sounds more even more refined on my audionote based system
10/10

4 Likes

Remove tag option is so painful :frowning:

6 Likes

Nothing is perfect and programming for a lot of platforms is hardā€¦

But I love Roon 1.8! :tada:

8 Likes

Loving 1.8 - love the look, love the ā€œfocusā€ outside my own library, love the portrait mode, love the recommendations/ā€œin their primeā€, etc.

A little buggy but itā€™ll all work out - and in the meantime, I have a great app that lets me dive deep into music and plays beautifully across 2 different DACs, three different speaker systems - come on, letā€™s not lose sight of how amazing this really is.

6 Likes

I will certainly miss some things from version 1.7. But all in all I really like 1.8! For my use case definitely an improvement.

Exactly, could not agree more :+1:

1 Like

I think the issue is that peopleā€™s expectations got way ahead of reality, perhaps with some help from the Roon team. People have been anxiously waiting for this release for months now, and had all sorts of ideas what would be included in it. In reality, itā€™s a step forward rather than a step change. It clearly does not solve everyoneā€™s issues, but my guess is that the average user will benefit from these changes.

2 Likes

See this guy loves everything they didnā€™t give to non-streaming users but marketed as improvements to our libraries. Add on the pile of amateur UI bugs galore and it shouldnā€™t be a surprise why many people are not happy about updating.

1 Like

I was a part of the last minute beta program offered by Roon after watching the 1.8 video demos last week so Iā€™ve had a few more days to play with it than most ā€“ and I must say I also really like 1.8 and itā€™s direction. While there are quite a few rough edges to sand off as there almost always are with major releases, I think the Roon team should be commended for their work on 1.8 and given some time to sort out and react to some of the feedback.

My last company ā€“ www.fandom.com ā€“ which had 300,000 communities (with ~300M monthly users) that were fans of individual movies, tv shows and games ā€“ had about as diverse a view of what our products needed as you could imagine so we just had to put on our teflon armor when a major release was rolling out and take the shots from the communities which were extensiveā€¦

I wish Roon had it easier given itā€™s essentially a single community anchored in love of music, but when you look at the ā€œRoon 1.8 is Greatā€ post which is just under the ā€œ1.8 is a Massive Disasterā€ post, it reminds me of the impossible job of satisfying many, much less most or all of a vocal, passionate and opinionated community as there is with Roon.

I wish more members here would take a step back and think about how hard a job Roon has in trying to satisfy all of us and be a little more understanding, a little more thankful, a little more patient, and complain a little less. But I wonā€™t hold my breathā€¦

29 Likes

First time anyone on the forum made me laugh out loud!

1 Like

Well done Roon team, trouble free update, love the look, of course will be niggles initially that is to be expected.

3 Likes

Yip, I agree I think its a great update and may possibly see me take out the lifetime membership.

Itā€™s modern, its slick, it looks great and I find the discovery section less bloated and more relevant to my tastes.

5 Likes

It took about 15 minutes before I really started to love the new look and feel. The more I use it, the more I like it. The few bugs will be fixed, no doubt about it! Thanks a lot for the enormous work that has gone into it. All the best from Amsterdam, Holland.

6 Likes

From what Iā€™ve seen of 1.8 so far, Iā€™m really happy. I like the new layout - itā€™s fresh and modern and everything is working fine for me. Android controller updates were fine, the core updated seamlessly on my Synology Rackstation, even my wifeā€™s iPhone controller update seems to work fine.

Iā€™m dismayed by some (read most) of the comments on the update. A whole bunch of people worked really hard to produce the 1.8 update - tens of thousands of hours of development and testing on everything from the look and feel of the GUI, the scripting of the core code, database structure, the back-end integration with Qobuz and Tidal.etc. etc.

Iā€™ve never seen so many so-called ā€œgrown-upsā€ behave like petulant children - toys thrown out of prams, dummies spat out on the floor and full-on ā€œnuclear-meltdownā€ scale tantrums. Talk about a lack of perspectiveā€¦

We have a global pandemic going on - more than 2 million people have died from COVID-19. Yet, some people seem to have forgotten what it is to be human. To have patience and understanding, to appreciate the efforts of others. Thereā€™s not a business or individual In the world that hasnā€™t been impacted. And in the midst of it all, in the face of all the challenges, the people behind Roon have managed to pull off a successful major update.

As with any major update - despite lots of testing there will inevitably be glitches and hiccups.

No one I know goes to work and says ā€œHey, Iā€™m going to to a really $h!t job today to annoy and frustrate as many customers as possibleā€.

As soon as reports of issues started to be communicated, the good folks at Roon HQ will have been working hard behind the scenes to resolve them and to push out fixes ASAP.

Letā€™s all take a step back for a moment, disengage ā€œinternet keyboard-warriorā€ mode, be a little more patient and understanding, a little more grateful and a little less eager to complain.

Hats off to all of the folks at Roon for a job well done.

44 Likes

Your opinion would likely be different if you were one of the paying customers who have experienced the negative issues detailed through the forums. By the way, there is one thread for people who are in favour of the upgrade and dozens of threads teaming with people experiencing an amazing array of problems.

1 Like

1.8 is great! Thank you Roon team!

2 Likes

Graeme,

I couldnā€™t agree with you more, but Iā€™m at a loss why this was directed at me.

Absolutely amazing! Congratulations, great job.
One problem here, another one there, but nothing that you canā€™t solve. If you guys have a subscription for my next life I will buy it :slight_smile: Many thanks!

2 Likes

Fantastic - particularly love the new Classical handling features!!

But, PLEASE!!! - in the next release, give us the ability to have separate cover art for individual discs in box sets!!!

Would also love native .pdf viewing for classical booklets (similar to native picture viewing) within the app.

(Also, wouldnā€™t mind if you finally include Qobuz panoramas inside Roon along with the other Qobuz elements).

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Not sure if this is what you are after regarding your second request, but if you save a PDF file the relevant album folder you can call that up in Room. I have booklets attached to some of my albums.