Roon 1.8 is great

Roon then opens that .pdf in your default system viewer. Contrast that with pictures which are viewable within a pop up inside Roon. Small point, I know, but helps with the overall immersion.

1 Like

Yes it isā€¦ like paging though a Taschen coffee table bookā€¦ but clickable.

2 Likes

Overall a very positive release. A few UI nitpicks but other than that a flawless update for me. Happy LT subscriber, thanks Roon staff. BTW, I noticed that the transport seems improved significantly in terms of stability, on my network in the past when playing high resolution tracks 192/24 Iā€™d occasionally get drop outs. Iā€™ve been listening for a few hours and not a single drop out.

Did the transport/RAAT get some performance and stability enhancements? Iā€™m impressed.

Iā€™ve read in various places some work on dithering which has the propensity to improve DSP.

.sjb

1 Like

Iā€™m glad to see this thread because after seeing so much negativity elsewhere I wanted somewhere to post my positive comments to try at at least partially redress the balance.

Apart from some of the bigger UI changes that I like, in particular the new overview page is great, as I play with it I am finding quite a few little things that bugged me in 1.7 have been fixed in 1.8. For instance in 1.7 if you expanded the text for an artist description you couldnā€™t then scroll down to the discography, you had to collapse the text again to get to the rest of the artist page. Thatā€™s fixed in 1.8. Or if I had a few albums from an artist in my library in 1.7 they only appeared in the ā€œMy Albumsā€ section and no longer appeared in the artistā€™s full album list so I couldnā€™t see the albums I had in my library in the context of the full discography. That is also fixed in 1.8. I suspect there are other little things I will find that are also fixed on 1.8.

All in all I am really liking this release so far.

1 Like

While I agree the tone is hardly enlightened, to the positive, the squeakier the wheel, the more attention it gets. And the more attention a bug gets, the faster it gets fixed. Thus while the complainers wonā€™t win many style points, their relentlessly drawing attention to Roon 1.8ā€™s bugs will ultimately make Roon a better product.

Once in awhile we get shown the light, in the strangest of places if we look at it right :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Thank you for starting this thread. Roon is absolutely an amazing piece of software and 1.8 is working great and also looks great on all my devices. I am always amazed at the negativity here.

4 Likes

ā€œOptimism nauseates me.ā€ ā€“ Ignatius J. Reilly

2 Likes

I guess I didnā€™t see Qobuz/Tidal recommendations to be a benefit to streamers only. Even if I purchased every file I listened to,and never streamed, recommendations that went outside of what I already owned would still be welcome, Iā€™d think.

Iā€™m not trying to say your own reaction is wrong, only suggesting I see advantages even for non-streamers.

Oh my point is that all of the Valence updates that were sent out in emails and demoed donā€™t work without a streaming subscription in Roon. I have 216K tracks, 20K+ albums. Iā€™d love to get all of that perfectly integrated with just my library. I thought that was the additional piece Roon was giving all of us in this release.

3 Likes

Agree:

• upgrade was flawless for me
  • love the new typography and the new layouts
  • the Focus feature seems very promising
  • sound quality seems to have improved ever so slightly
  • DSD playback bug fixed (THANK YOU!)

Overall, solid work. Well done Roon team!

3 Likes

Iā€™m liking it a lot too, now that Iā€™m used to the changes.

People often have problems with changes but i think this is a definite improvement!

I hope the Roon team is reading.

3 Likes

Have you already suggested this in feature requests?

We can do that?

I just followed the crowd and joined a haters thread before punching holes in all the dry wall in my house & howling at the moon.
I spent the rest of the evening preaching the word of Audivarna to the guy in the next jail cell.

1 Like

Hi Mike, Apologies, no idea how that happened. I just hit the main reply button at the bottom of the threadā€¦

Itā€™d be a cracking feature. My Bitcoin unicorn requires this whole ritual involving quinoa.

I donā€™t like quinoa.

1 Like

No, Iā€™m a realist. Iā€™ve spent a lot of my life involved in complex multi-million pound projects. Every ā€œdeliveredā€ project has a snagging list, sometimes with hundreds of items that need fixing.

Thousands of hours are spent building control systems, testing them and trying to find ways to break them to exploit the weaknesses. And even after all of that, there will still be issues that need ironing out post commissioning.

Itā€™s wholly unrelistic to expect a major update to just work perfectly straight out of the box.

8 Likes

Yes it is great, in particular if you turn it off and run the Roon Essentials 1.7 version until this mess with 1.8 is resolved. I have two Elac Discovery servers with lifetime Roon Essentials license in my network and one of them got reassigned to core dutiesā€¦

1 Like

Same here, 100% agree!

What is delivered is nothing short of amazing! This is only possible by a passionate, high-quality group of people. Most users probably (as it is my estimation, which can be wrong) wonā€™t have the smallest idea how much work, effort, sweat and tears are put into this delivered result.

To the whole Roon Team, @Dylan, @mike, @enno:

Keep on doing what youā€™re doing! Be proud of it, donā€™t forget to celebrate the result and believe in each other. Together you guys and ladies make something that brings a big smile on a lot of peopleā€™s faces and a lot of joy in their lives (not forgetting marriages saved)!

10 Likes

Absolutely amazing! Congratulations, great job.

2 Likes