Roon 1.8 sound quality change?

Struggling to keep myself out of the rabbit hole, knowing all to well the habit is keeping a black hole warm down there.

That might be the case if roon converted anything to analogue, luckily that’s the job of the DAC.

6 Likes

Sorry, what can Roon have to do with the analog domain or the conversion from d to a? That’s your DAC, right?

5 Likes

Just to answer your questions: Yes, I do. And I don‘t like the pronounced schoolmasterish tone in your post.

1 Like

Oops, I edited while misreading what I had already typed. You are 100% correct about the 1.8 / analog comment. But the rest of it is correct. If you can lower computer resource usage, and also noise, you can realize significant improvement. How much depends on so many factors.

No change in sound quality

2 Likes

OLED’s blacks are blacker, since relevant pixels are shut off, which corresponds to no light, technically.
Don’t you agree?

2 Likes

Unfortunately that is also a commonly repeated falsehood.

The only way in which extra work on the core, or even extra work on the endpoint is going to effect playback is playback will be interrupted.

It’s not like adaptive playback resolution when using Spotify or YouTube where If your connection is poor they use a lower bitrate.

Roon is either playing or it isn’t.

5 Likes

Actually, the "blacker’ the background (I prefer “quieter”). the more Power to Resolve you have. As the background reduces in noise, the less the tail end of a note gets masked by that noise, so you can actually hear more of the note. The note itself is unchanged by the background, but the “blacker” the background, the longer the perceived note is. Also the perception of increased ambience

I totally disagree, and so do my ears.

1 Like

You disagree separately from your ears? Based on what?

Hearing a difference is one thing, there’s plenty of evidence that we experience subjective things, well subjectively and they can be influenced by anything.

But I’m rather curious what, apart from hearing has lead you to believe there is a difference in sound quality.

It is normal:

• that main speakers have a much weaker response below 40 Hz (actually most start higher up)
  • hence to compensate the balance with a sub, especially when they have realistic energy in the highs
  • and when you have a sub it is normal to perform minute adjustments…
  • especially as you adjust its slope with an additional external RC - losing gain, you might prefer to add missing gain digitally, using either Roon DSP or (better when one has it) directly in HQP.
    After having compared direct HQplayer without Roon with Roon 1.8 +HQplayer I conclude that 1.8 is flat.
    Now I also hear better transients than in 1.7. Sorry I did not make the above comparison while still in 1.7, yet I have logically concluded that, assuming HQplayer plays its fair role of computation of resampling for the DAC input (which it is designed for and reputed for), the now transparent throughput of 1.8 was calling for a 0.5 dB uplift of the energy below 40 Hz, so that the balance sounds perfect on virtually all recordings.
    You may hear different things on your system but on mine that is pretty obvious.
1 Like

No, I don’t think so. If your computer is so resource constrained that it impacts the flow of bits, Roon stops playing. If Roon does not stop playing, then it is correctly sending all the 1’s and 0’s down the wire to the DAC.

2 Likes

I hope that you experience that in the futur… sometimes there is no place for subjectivity

You are likely more right than you even know.

And I do hope I experience a more objective world in the future. A lot of the worlds problems would be greatly reduced if people devoted more time to critical thinking.

If you knew that, it’s your conscious bias by definition. Unconscious bias is, by definition, not something you can be aware of. If you think CPU noise is making it’s way into the analogue signal you need better kit. I find it odd that so much high end kit seems to expose noise from sources that a competent engineer should ensure is a non issue.

3 Likes

1.8 does not convert anything to analog, a persons DAC does that task. Nothing to do with Roon

4 Likes

I think that lack of resolution cannot be compensated for. Therefore, it is very important for me. Similarly in photography, if a photo is blurred, it is lost, because over-sharpening destroys it. But if warmth is missing in the sound, I can change the Nordost cables for Cardas. Sorry for my bad english!

Definitely more woofers. As for the tweeters, I am not sure. Mid-range, smooth. Subjective ofcoarse…
Non-audio-fool, just love great sounding bit-perfect sounds. I’m 'appy…

They did mention in the patch notes that they had improved dithering, which I imagine would result in a more detailed and clean sound. But the side effect of a more transparent sound is less “fullness”

2 Likes

I do notice a difference. I think it sounds great. I listen to open baffle speakers and noticed it immediately. In my system, the soundstage has improved in every direction. The sound is much more detailed and defined.

I admit that I have encountered some glitches with the new software, but I am sure they will be remedied.