Roon 1.8 sound quality change?

You state that as a fact, so presumably you can provide some evidence to support it?

I’ll believe Ted far more than anyone else on the subject, as long as I understand what he is saying, which is maybe 2/3 of the time.

2 Likes

It doesn’t it’s silicon, not transistor-based. The only possible implication of Ted’s ramble I can see is that an unused area of an FPGA might conceivably be faulty. This might get exposed then next time that the device is reconfigured if it tries to make use of the broken area. The idea that these devices might behave non-deterministically when reprogrammed is fanciful, and would be widely reported if true.

2 Likes

Who said there is a link between burn-in and burn-out times ?

My point is there’s no burn in time it’s all burn out time.

It is technology-dependent but common capacitors exhibiti burn-in behavior. I saw a table about it somewhere, I will try to dig it out.

1 Like

I’m always curious and I genuinely have a more open mind than my forum posts may suggest. I do “worry” about this sort of debate dragging folk reading a subject down rabbit holes. Debating the low level properties of components you get little choice in and can’t replace feels a bit futile. Magnus’ excellent room correction with REW thread is a better place to spend time and effort IMHO.

For burn in, it makes sense that components with moving parts and tolerances might change character in early use, even audibly. I’m thinking speakers and head phones. I’d make sure I was listening to music on them at the same time still, it’s what I bought the kit for in the first place.

And it’s certainly better than fading away…

3 Likes

Sure! But that is different from him being correct on the issue - this is called “argument by authority” and is considered a logical fallacy…

v

1 Like

Then you must present a logical argument, based on provable premises, to prove him wrong. Otherwise, I bet he is correct. He knows his stuff inside, outside, over, under, sideways, down, backward, forwards, square and round. . He’s probably correct 99+% of the time.

No matter how clever I’m always sceptical about what they say.

It’s fair to say Van Den Hul is about as clever as it comes when you look at cartridges or styli but he also came out with this…

https://www.vandenhul.com/product/the-extender/

and this…

https://www.vandenhul.com/product/health-ring/

Here goes, they’re reconfigurable logic devices that give deterministic results. The designers who developed them, who possibly know more on this subject than Ted “I’m right 99% of the time no matter the subject”, never warned they might need to “settle some” after reconfiguration. Now, despite millions of hours testing in development labs and the real world this issue has never been isolated and reported. Remember Ted’s a user of these devices, not the designer.

I keenly await the case for Ted’s defence.

1 Like

People in the labs did not spend hours upon hours listening to these devices in DAC, either, or probably in any other audio devises. And as far as warning of the need to break in?? What a laugh. I have never heard any manufacturer of the components warn of the need for break in. Only the better manufacturers of the audio devices do that, and most of them are speaker manufacturers.

I’m providing the link to the Ted quote under discussion, you might want to read it.

I already have read it in detail, and you show no evidence that he is wrong.

1 Like

Well I agree he says if before launching into wild speculation. What is he said specifically you think he’s right about and what justifies your belief? I’ve showed you mine…

There’s a few FPGAs with on board ADCs and DACs so don’t be so sure, I assume your point’s speculation :wink:

1 Like

No - Improbable claims need to be supported. He seems to have only emitted an opinion. No support provided. Hitchen’s razor - what is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. This is a classic and clear example of why “argument by authority” is a logical fallacy…

v

4 Likes

Quite a description. I can’t decide whether you’re for real or not.

Maybe I should start a forum survey. :smirk:

3 Likes

I love debates, especially when you have to dodge flying toys.

1 Like