Roon 1.8 sound quality change?

Chalk another one up for noticeable improvement in sound. I had no preconceived notion or expectations of sound change for the better or the worse, just some interface changes is all I was expecting . I’ll just say I’m more than pleasantly surprised. Ethernet to lumin s1 streamer dac from core.

1 Like

Gotta give you a like for the Lumin S1. I have a T2 and it is an outstanding piece of kit.

1 Like

Holding elevation constant, is burn in time more dependent on ambient temperature or relative humidity?

3 Likes

Humidity !!

2 Likes

Really? Which FPGAs have an onboard ADC or DAC? Which DACs use them?

Here’s one:

I never said any commercial DACs used them before you put words into my mouth, I simply offered evidence that might cast doubt on speculation that people in labs didn’t listen to audio when developing and testing the devices.

I’m now tempted to get into the DAC business with the brand name “Honey Badger.” Our first model, the “Sphincter”. Tight bottom end when you want it; a blast when you need it.

7 Likes

Yep This is what i have found

Over the weekend I went directly from Build 710 (1.7) to 764 (1.8).
If any, I turned off DSP or room correction.
I listened analytically to two songs before the upgrade and five minutes later I could test 1.8 with the same songs.
Hard to say if there was any recognizable change in sound quality. I’m pretty sure it was not to the worse, rather a tiny bit better.
However my streaming DAC/preamp LINN Selekt (with an Innuos Zen Mk3 as source) showed to be rather immune to subtle changes before hand (changing digital cables or using an audiophile switch). So either its input stage evens out digital nasties or my hearing abilities are not subtle enough to hear noticeable change.

Bonjour Pedro. Où trouve-t-on ces réglages ???

Hello Pedro. Where can I find these settings ???
Sometimes I feel like I don’t have the same parameters as the community :slight_smile:

Build 778 has a major sound quality degrade, are you guys gonna try to fix it in the next build?

This is irony right?
There is no difference in sound quality from where I sit. Never has been either…

4 Likes

I feel the audio has improved with the soundstage widened and deepened , the treble has more air and is more resolute , the bass better defined and the instruments easier to pick out where they are during the recording session.

[Moderated]

4 Likes

Totally agree with you, I abandoned Audirvana and purchased Lifetime Subscription few weeks ago. I have been using Audirvana via upnp streaming to my Lumin U1 Mini for a long time only because it sounded better than Roon V1.6 and V1.7, but the situation has changed since V1.8 arrived. Though miss the $499 price, but V1.8 definitely worth the $799 price in my opinion.

And, that in no way even hints that the designed listened to it. Design by listening is rare in this design by theory and specs world.

That’s an incredibly general statement that says nothing. I assume you have specific examples or evidence to back this up? I’d not hazard a guess as to what goes on at Intel’s design/fabrication labs. My point was just that, don’t speculate on design processes you’re not familiar with.

Edit @Neil_Russell If a design shouldn’t be informed by knowledge of the subject (aka theory) and a detailed plan/proposal (aka specification), what alternatives do you suggest?

2 Likes

You can go the audiophile way.
Ignore any scientific knowledge and common sense and so long change everything till your own ear says ‘that sounds ok’ without taking in account if the changes makes sense or maybe damage more than help.

2 Likes

How provocative. That described approach is surely not audiophile, rather esotheric or voodoo centric (and therefore off topic).

Last week several complaints about the sound quality of Roon 1.8 were reported. One in particular stood out:

The high frequency range has a similar transient response on every track and, although it was exciting at first, it becomes annoying. In no time the sound was fatiguing.

Currently my system is running in a degraded mode, waiting for a new linear power supply, and not performing to my standards. My assumption was that the SQ degradation heard in Roon 1.8 was due to the interim use of a SMPS power supply. Still without an LPS after reading the above I decided to have an in depth listening session to understand if the Roon 1.8 SQ degradation claim could be duplicated here.

Having done this, I think something has changed for the worse. Later I found this thread which shows others have heard similar things. It is hard to describe so here are some words and a track reference that should help others to recreate the observations made here.

This summer in a Stereophile review of two Denafrips DACs the reviewer, Herb Reichert reveals how he reviews DACs. He says:

The biggest challenge for audiophile audio is the proper recovery of all of the reverb captured on a recording—but no extra! I have found that only the finest systems can do this. The less-than-finest systems either subtract reverberant information, as a result sounding dry, gray, and hard; or they add reverb-like distortions (such as second harmonics, phase shift, or microphonics), which make recordings sound wetter or more atmospheric than they actually are.

My listening sessions with Roon 1.8 confirmed the increase in bass texture and detail heard by others, but the high frequency transients and decay are subtracted and result in exactly the “dry, gray, and hard” sound described by Reichart. Sadly the “life” and presence is the recording has been diminished in this release.

Listen to this Qobuz track: Concerti Italiani - Concerto Italiano, Rinaldo Alessandrini - Qobuz Web Player track III. Adagio e stacatto. The reverb trails are gone with Roon 1.8 and with that the “life” of the recording. Using Hqplayer without any modulator or up-sampling restores the SQ.

I hope these words and examples help Roonlabs hone in on the issue here and lead to a new release which restores SQ. It would be heartbreaking to have the worlds best music player diminished in value due to poor SQ.

2 Likes

Bit perfect output in v1.7, bit perfect output in v1.8. What issue would you suggest they hone in on? Put another way. If you DAC is receiving exactly the same data as it was in v1.7, and you’ve taken all the necessary steps to isolate it from your core (using an endpoint etc), then there is no logical, physical, electronic or scientific reason as to why there would be an objective change in SQ.

6 Likes