Roon 1.8 sound quality change?

Roon is a piece of software playing back bit perfect audio. Unless you’re using DSP, roon will sound the same now as it did four years ago. It’ll incidentally sound the same as Amara, iTunes, media player and media monkey playing the exact same file, as software doesn’t alter how things sound.

If you hear a difference it’s either environmental, mood based, or completely imagined.

2 Likes

I’ve posted this before but I’ll post again

There is no evidence whatsoever for any objective difference between software players.

1 Like

I find Roon’s top end to be airier than other software . The low end has tighter bass and the middle spectrum is sublime . I find myself listening to my cd rips over again ! :joy:

1 Like

Careful now :wink:

1 Like

After all this listening to version 880 my hair grew back nicely. Version 904 comes along and poof, everything stopped.

2 Likes

Less 'airy, as they say :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like your avatar.

2 Likes

Yep really glassy sound with little bass

I find the sound very glassy through my bel canto setup … not at all impressed… Was perfect when I paid lifetime subscription. Now it seems to have gone to pot.

Well, looks like you should pay another lifetime subscription for FOMO. I’m sure Roon will sound better when you’ve shelled-out another $800 :rofl:

1 Like

I suspect Roon will sound much better after that next payment!

1 Like

Glad you are amusing yourself with this Martin.

I am getting very poor audio playgback via Asio and Wasapi direct via Roon. It sounded lovely until I paid for the lifetime membership now it sound worse than Spotify 120 ? I could do with speaking to someone as to why there has been such a big change for the worse with the sound quality.

As you are the only one with this problem, one is led to conclude there is a problem with your setup, one of your HIFI devices, internet or internal network connections, etc… There are a lot of possibilities.
Looks like Roon is not the culprit, because else the board would be full of complaints in a matter of minutes.

7 Likes

You’ll need to open a Support thread, making sure that fill in all relevant details.

1 Like

Milkats are you working for the support team?

No he his a user like you. Roon staff all have badges indicating they work for Roon. But I would agree with his comments.

The issue you describe is a minority case here so it’s likely to be an issue in your setup causing a SQ change. Post a screen a grab of your signal path when playing via Roon it can often highlight things that what might be causing some issues.

Rubbish nothing wrong with my audio eq. I have managed to find the issue and it meant re loading Roon… Seems a lot better…

what was the issue

needed to re -load Roon…