Roon 1.8 - where can I see tags & playlists for a track? [Solved]

Yes, removing a tag can only be done in the actual Tag section. Really a step back in usability; especially if you already had a tag workflow.

Also, You used to be able to right click on a tag and delete, that too is now gone.

15 Likes

I am also not pleased with this decision. Why take stuff away? I was using the ROONTRACKTAGS to input star ratings since Roon does support these at the track level. It was a workaround for some of the basic features that Roon is missing. Taking it away does nothing to improve Roon

14 Likes

Unbelievable, no way to show playlist and tags for each track in an album? How is this possible? Is that a bug, because its hard to believe removing feature like this could seem like a step forward for ROON? So, how am I supposed to open an album and see which tracks are in which playlists and which are not in any playlists? Same for tags…

20 Likes

I’m just wondering what made the Roon Team think that tags are expendable. Maybe they’re just not aware of how much use we can actually get out of tagging. And how much we can compensate with it for missing features, e.g. track ratings. And last but not least how tagging allows us to actually add personal value to our music collection that is not based on neural network analysis or listening statistics.

Here are two more screenshots to exemplify how detailed tagging helps me accessing my music in a variety of different and quite personalized ways.

This is something no neural network can provide to me. Because it’s based on my very own interpretation of the music I listen to.

I don’t want to make a point here against algorithmic analysis and Valence etc. I really like and use this for discovering new stuff. But I also need a personal approach to my music. I mean, tagging is very comparable with how you organize your vinyl collection in your record shelfs. You give those records a personal classification by where you put them.

21 Likes

Tag functionality is completely broken. Adding tags works, but the dialog windows are garbled on IOS. Removing tags is impossible. I have the impression that either this part of the new release was not finished, or that Roon tacitly stopped supporting tags altogether…

6 Likes

+1 for showing tags and playlists info next to the track name.

16 Likes

Please bring back playlist info and tag info next to track titles. Also please bring tagging functionality back re removing tags and the check boxes for adding multiple tags to an album.

18 Likes

WHAT KINDA “BETA TESTER” ROON used?
Ok 4 the “first crashes” but here there are people that are loosing YEARS of work with their tags and so on. On other topic we are discussing about the displaying albums of your library not more shown and…
Ok, stop.
Go quick to the 1.8.1
(and fire the beta tester: use the simple logic of open a tablet and run ROON)
:angry:
Edit: the “more” function now is working for displaying the “more album” you got on your NAS.

4 Likes

I honestly have no idea why Roon seems to push so hard against personal track tagging and organization that comes with it. I am not saying this with the intention of being mean, but I do not understand a lot of Roon’s decisions. This is a perfect example. You are 100% correct that no algorithms can add personal ways to make our music libraries our own. We all think differently and organize differently so it only makes sense to let users rate and tag tracks how they see fit and not constrained by the system doing the organizing. Getting rid of being able to see these track tags would be like what you said about organizing your record collection, except with a set of blinds in front of your shelves…

11 Likes

In support of the theory that the whole tagging experience is still unfinished with v1.8 I’m getting visual glitches while typing into the filter input field on the “add to tag”-modal:

3 Likes

I agree. Implementation of Tags in the new Roon sucks! They don’t display with a different color background when viewing the album, and if there is a way to REMOVE a Tag from and entire album, I have yet to find it. It used to be straightforward and simple. PLEASE FIX THIS! It’s how I organize my library.

6 Likes

Is there any way to fall back to previous version?

I am pretty sure I will end the subscription if Roon team did not bring back the original tag and playlist implementation.

8 Likes

In short, no … Roon does not support regression to older versions.

Tag issues:

1. Where are tags for track now shown? Do i need to turn on the visualisation? I don’t see any tags for tracks. How do i remove a tag if the “add tag” function doesn’t have checkboxes or indicate which tags are applied?

2. The listing of album tags needs to better distinguish which are automatic and which are user applied. This is very important to how i manage my library.

7 Likes

So upset seeing all my tags missing on my tracks this morning. If the “add tag” windows allow me to assign multiple tags and show which tag has been applied, I can still live with that. But now…

2 Likes

Where’d you get the symbols to add to the tags? I’m expecting the loss of tag function is only temporary and would like to add symbols myself. Cheers

No sense being angry at this just yet. Waiting for @danny @brian to indicate if this is a conscious move of just a teething issue with 1.8?? :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Why do the tracks in 1.8 no longer display the info of what playlist they are in. It used to show up, including if was in multiple playlists??? I am missing a new setting?

Also, the display to my Chromecast is working, then hanging up and then acting crazy with artist picture not pulling, just a blurred out background.

Lifetime subscriber, feeling a bit frustrated but hoping these things get resolved. Thank you

7 Likes

At the moment it appears that to remove a tag from an album, you must remove the album from the tag. You can imagine the workflow to move multiple tags from one album! This makes no sense to me whatsoever, so I’m hoping that it’s a bug rather than a design decision.

5 Likes

Please revert back the changes to the audio playback subsystem. When I enjoyed auditory bliss in 1.7, I updated today (and even reupped my subscription) to disappointingly find my audio sounds like it is coming out of $10 throw away ear buds… on over $5000 of sources and my Verites (and speakers).

Is there a way to downgrade? This is unbearable. Why did you mess with perfection?

1 Like