Roon 1.8 - where can I see tags & playlists for a track? [Solved]

While 1.8 is a big milestone in so many ways the removal of Playlist and tag indications on tracks is a major issue.

Many users - me included - rely on playlists and tags (and favourites/hearts which were also removed on small mobiles) to organise their day to day listening experience with Roon. Years of work went into it.

Roon needs to bring these functions back as soon as possible. If optional - fine. People use the settings to tailor the UI - and the more the better.

19 Likes

I concur with this… It seems that this omission is too big on the negative side for users, to stay as is…
Let’s wait a bit…

2 Likes

Really important to me to be able to see which Playlists each Track is in. Please bring back this functionality. The new 1.8 UI is great otherwise.

12 Likes

It is really hard for me to be excited (in a positive sense) about the new look and feel of Roon 1.8. Why?
After only a few minutes I could find a lot of features that are not working or that “work” in a way that make me want back version 1.7! E.g., that’s true for the new tag presentation. I strongly rely on tags being displayed in the album/track listings. Now I have to switch to the tag editor to see my tags at all.

Furthermore, because I have to install the English language package on my PC to have access to more than Roon’s GENERAL settings I’m very disappointed about Roon 1.8. The more I work with this new version the more I will find things that are either not working at all or - IMO - make things even worst. There is a nice German word for such a kind of “evolution”: “verschlímmbessern”.

So, I’m waiting for Roon 1.8.1 coming soon (hopefully)…

9 Likes

I also use tags a lot. I mean A LOT. Hours and hours of work have gone in to this.
Not only is it a major issue that tags are no longer visible in the album/track listing, but I can’t seem to find a way to remove tags as well. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Please bring back my tags.

9 Likes

Reported this issue before but wanted to add my +1000 here as well. Track playlists and tags being displayed is absolutely critical for organizational purposes. @mike tagging you here (pun intended) in the hopes of getting some acknowledgment that we‘re getting this back soon! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I am struggling with Tags in Roon 1.8. For example: How do I remove existing tags?

Please advise me, how to access the tag management documentation for 1.8

Thanks

6 Likes

Haha, this is impossible now!! :woozy_face:

Could it be that Roon is increasingly moving towards a music player that ‘automatically’ presents music to you? And less and less an app with which you manage your own music and make your own choices, given the fact that a decent playlist and tags management has been scrapped from 1.8?
Hopefully not!

9 Likes

Yes, that was what I am thinking too (or the UI/UX designer and Roon does not use tags and playlists at all). I have not seen any love for playlists and tagging since almost the start of Roon. Why?!

This was my main hesitation to buy a lifetime about 3 years ago.
I tried and used a lot streaming services and music “management” software in the past.
All those services and players decided in their wisdom to move in a way where simplification is the norm and in the meantime remove options for a cleaner interface.

I sincerely hope Roon is not moving in this direction!

12 Likes

I love to see this tread evolving so quickly. I 100% agree with what is said here.
The main reason I use Roon apart from HiRes multi-room streaming is the ability to manually manage my music library. I like to get a curated overview of new music and my own. But what makes my music my music is that i put it where it is, and in Roon this is done with tags.

Please: Do not remove features, believe it or not, users might have been using them!

You don’t have to read the next to paragraphs.
My music listening process in 1.7:
Focus my library on my ‘Listen List’ tag, and sort by date added, because you cannot sort it via the tags tab. Pick an album that’s been on there for too long. Listen to it (the best part). Open tag manager and remove ‘Listen List’ tag.

My music listening process in 1.8:
Focus my library on my ‘Listen List’ tag, and sort by date added, because you cannot sort it via the tags tab. Pick an album that’s been on there for too long. Listen to it (the best part). Go to the ‘Listen List’ tag. Manually find the album, which can take a while because I cannot sort, and searching for it won’t show it in the tag view. Long press on it. Remove the tag on the three-dot menu. Takes about five times as long as before.

Why am I going into that much detail? Music listening should be fun. Managing it should also be fun, and it was. Roon is supposed to want me make listen to music, not make simple tags unnecessarily complicated.

Please just revert the ‘add to tag’ menu on albums etc. to the ‘manage tags’ menu we had before. Thank you.

14 Likes

I like Roon’s ‘encyclopedia approach’ and the integration of TIDAL / Qobuz. But managing my own music (about 5000 albums) is the most important thing for me. If Roon were to phase out the latter, it would be time to look for an alternative. I have Audirvana as a backup music player, but it is just too simple …

8 Likes

This is indeed an unpleasant surprise. I have been relying on playlists, tags and bookmarks. Roon’s library management was promising yet limited. Library management is vital for my use case at least. Having 40% of my local library as ‘unidentified’, I rely on adding and moving tracks around playlists, tags and bookmarks.

I was hoping that library management features would be added, not taken away.

7 Likes

If this is true, then I come to the conclusion that they hate serious collectors which want to curate their own collections. This has already been a weakness of Roon, but now they seem to go more and more in the wrong direction… :frowning:

8 Likes

Yes. No longer being able to see all tags and playlists each track is a member of is a big big problem, which I really really hope is temporary. My cri de coeur on the subject is over here:

5 Likes

I hope not. In case they do I will quit Roon.

1 Like

Hi, it took me a bit of playing around to find it, but you can do it as follows:-

• Go to Side Menu / Tags
  • Go to Tag that the album you are looking for is in
  • On iPad long press to select the album
  • in the Bar that appears at the top ‘…’ and Remove from Tag

Hope this helps!

Thanks, that works.
But I would prefer the option to remove a tag from an album in the album view - feels more natural, especially with a lot of albums with the same tag.

2 Likes

I agree - It’s unnecessary extra steps to have to go thru the menu to remove.

2 Likes

Roon designers and developers are pretty much only Album and Artist users. Playlists have always been a second class citizen. Now tags have dropped off the radar.

More troubling is lack of comment. I’m sure they’re giving it a day or two to aggregate comments but still.

8 Likes