Roon 1.8 will be Live on ….?

that is a good question, I won’t mind to do beta testing at all.

This is the only reference I have found to selection of testers. Not sure what the difference is between the alpha testers mentioned here and the beta testers mentioned in the latest mini release.

1 Like

It’s interesting to me that you referenced that post from Roon. It mentions the issues with 1.3 (I had MAJOR issues with 1.3!) and that smaller updates would be released in the future (presumably to avoid major issues like 1.3 had?).

Now, 1.8 is said to be a major release. Are we going to see big issues like we did with 1.3? Or is Roon doing something different this time to avoid such issues?

There’s been four releases since then. There’s always some problems due to the spread of equipment and operating systems.
As to different, your guess is as good as…

Presumably, based on the post referenced, 1.4 to 1.7 were “smaller” releases. 1.8 is said to be a “major” release (like 1.3), hence my comparison of 1.3 to 1.8 and wondering if something different was being done to avoid major, and more widespread, issues like we had with 1.3.

Perhaps I’m overly concerned. After what I went through, along with many other Linux users, with 1.3, I’m a bit gun shy about major releases. :wink:

I’ll probably wait a week or so after 1.8 is released to see if there are any widespread issues. :grinning:

Keeping on topic, I’m guessing we’ll see 1.8 in January. :+1:

I guess a few of the things they’re doing is maintenance releases ahead of time and also delaying until fully staffed and after holidays. We used to see big year end releases.

Too bad we get no hints for what’s coming up. I know major overhaul for interface was delayed from last year, so that might be one thing. Mobile connections have been brought up years ago but never have been talked about since. More stuff with music discovery has been discussed.

They realized the need for improved UI/UX and hopefully come up with a decent update to be launched in January.

1. User interface
  2. Mobile roon to use on the go

And just for the sake of tinkering and never being happy

1. More upsampling options and algorithms like HQPlayer just to keep me entertained.
1 Like

Monday morning !!

I hope 1.8 will go live coming Tuesday, January the 5th, late at night Amsterdam time.

Honestly, I can’t wait.

Short answer… Roon 1.8 is live when it is done :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I hope before my subscription ends at the end of the month with sometime to review. :grinning:

can always go to the monthly subscription mode till you are decided

2 Likes

Roon has only ever become better, what makes anyone think this will change.

1 Like

Why so secret?

Give us the patch notes​:sunglasses::canada:

Next Friday evening please. I have a busy week at work so won’t have time to play around with it till then :wink:

As a Tidal only user, I don’t link my local library and my Tidal library replicates my local to ensure my mobile matches.

In terms of functionality Lumin and Sonos, which all of my non HiFi endpoints are Sonos.
Both replicate Tidal My Mixes Roon has not delivered this functionality.
Also Tidal my track radio delivers better mixes than Roon, many people bemoan Roon Radio.
Both have TuneIn radio Roon has a collection of stream requests.
Sonos has Tidal Connect, very good while using my Sonos speakers for general room music, LUMIN is investigating the function.

I don’t use the DSP functions so Roon just has to deliver good new suggestions and provide a good radio function for me.

So for my usage Roon is lacking behind the functionality I get directly from Tidal, to gain my future business these are areas it needs to catch up on.
It does not indicate what is in the pipeline so for me as a yearly subscriber my renewal is at risk while I see if they can improve Tidal Integration.

If LUMIM can provide Tidal connect Roon will no longer be a requirement for me, they need to deliver ahead of the competition.
Other peoples usage will no doubt be different to mine.

I agree with the Tidal integration. I feel like I could disover more using blue OS on tidal then with roon.

What is it you are missing in 1.7? I appreciated the frequent upgrades in 2015 and still appreciate that the team keeps it current. I think we’re getting to the point of diminishing return in a mature product. But if there is a killer feature in the next release, I’ll be very happy as a lifetime subscriber. But that’s not what I expect.

I’ll take that back: I’d love AirPlay 2 .